Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Mmt

Geoff H

I have to say I am totally happy with my Yaris D-4D MMT. I seem to be in the minority but I drive it as was suggested by the sales staff at Minories in Durham.

I had a T3 D-4d Manual and changed it for medical reasons to the MMT. It drives very smoothly and gives slightly better MPG - So I'm happy.

The only question is whether I should put the gear in Neutral when waiting at the lights.

The handbook seems to suggest if you have either the handbrake or footbrake on it's OK to leave in "E".

Never having burnt a clutch out in cars that heve done 100K I don't want to on this one!

I have to say I am totally happy with my Yaris D-4D MMT. I seem to be in the minority but I drive it as was suggested by the sales staff at Minories in Durham.

I had a T3 D-4d Manual and changed it for medical reasons to the MMT. It drives very smoothly and gives slightly better MPG - So I'm happy.

The only question is whether I should put the gear in Neutral when waiting at the lights.

The handbook seems to suggest if you have either the handbrake or footbrake on it's OK to leave in "E".

Never having burnt a clutch out in cars that heve done 100K I don't want to on this one!

Handbrake on and leave it in E will be burn the clutch. If it is in E, so long you stick your foot on the brake pedal, the engine disengages power to the clutch (and wheels of course) after a second. You can of course flick into Neutral but keeping my foot on the brake works for me especially in rush hour traffic.

Handbrake on and leave it in E will be burn the clutch. If it is in E, so long you stick your foot on the brake pedal, the engine disengages power to the clutch (and wheels of course) after a second. You can of course flick into Neutral but keeping my foot on the brake works for me especially in rush hour traffic.

Hey...

many thanks Pork_Pie. The handbook is a little confusing! However after your very welcome tip, I now know what to do & not to do!

Thanks again

Regards,

Geoff

Second that FootBrake, then at last minute hold it on the handbrake as you start to pull away on inclines.

Works on the Agro

Second that FootBrake, then at last minute hold it on the handbrake as you start to pull away on inclines.

Works on the Agro

Many thanks to you for replying as well.

This is the way I have been driving it but thought it best to check!

Cheers

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

With the car stopped and the gearbox in 1 the clutch will be effectively in the pressed down position.

Not many people, except idiots, hold their manual gearbox in gear for any length of time with the clutch peddle depressed so why is it any different with the new "auto" gearbox?

Why is it so difficult to shift into neutral or is everyone too lazy for that momentous task?

With the car stopped and the gearbox in 1 the clutch will be effectively in the pressed down position.

Not many people, except idiots, hold their manual gearbox in gear for any length of time with the clutch peddle depressed so why is it any different with the new "auto" gearbox?

Why is it so difficult to shift into neutral or is everyone too lazy for that momentous task?

Hi

On old cars it weakened the clutch springs to sit with your foot on the clutch pedal, it doesn't wear anything as the plate is disengaged. Modern clutches are far far better made with much tougher and more resilient springs, it would take years of sitting with your foot on the clutch to weaken the springs....

A bit like revving up before you switch the engine off.... all us old duffers used to do it on a carb car as it started better next time... do it on a modern car and you just waste petrol... There are things that change with modern technology.... Another example where the "good old days" weren’t

Pete

So when the clutch is held open there are no bearings or any other parts that are carrying an unnecessary load?

You must be kidding surely!!!

The fact that the clutch is so much better built these days is no reason for sloppy driving.

So when the clutch is held open there are no bearings or any other parts that are carrying an unnecessary load?

The fact that the clutch is so much better built these days is no reason for sloppy driving.

Hi

They are now built to such a high standard that they will take unbelievable abuse before they wear out, my Avensis is coming up to 180,000 miles on the original clutch, years ago clutches lasted 30,000 miles if you were lucky. There really is no need to take your foot off the clutch when sat at lights etc, well certainly no mechanical need. That is why they say you can leave these semi auto boxes in drive or whatever it is when stationary...

Pete

Hi

They are now built to such a high standard that they will take unbelievable abuse before they wear out, my Avensis is coming up to 180,000 miles on the original clutch, years ago clutches lasted 30,000 miles if you were lucky. There really is no need to take your foot off the clutch when sat at lights etc, well certainly no mechanical need. That is why they say you can leave these semi auto boxes in drive or whatever it is when stationary...

Pete

Who is "they" who say that it can stay in gear indefinitely when stationary? certainly not Renault who have a warning buzzer that goes of when the clutch gets too hot and this happens when staying too long in gear when stationary.

I am not trying to be negative or critical I am just trying to get some real advice that is based on real evidence and not just the belief of a few individuals. One problem with the Internet is that all rages of beliefs on all subjects can be found and it's difficult to sort out the chaff from the wheat.

I have no wish to damage my very expensive vehicles.

Hi

Pete

Who is "they" who say that it can stay in gear indefinitely when stationary? certainly not Renault who have a warning buzzer that goes of when the clutch gets too hot and this happens when staying too long in gear when stationary.

I am not trying to be negative or critical I am just trying to get some real advice that is based on real evidence and not just the belief of a few individuals. One problem with the Internet is that all rages of beliefs on all subjects can be found and it's difficult to sort out the chaff from the wheat.

I have no wish to damage my very expensive vehicles.

Hi

They in this case are Toyota, from reading on here it appears that that is the advice from Toyota, I don't think you can compare Renault with them, they are renowned for poor gearboxes, just look at adverts for Renaults a few years old and all you see is "had new gearbox" or "slight gearbox problem" I personally know two people who have had new Megans and had the gearboxes fail with less than 30,000 miles on them, one a manual the other an auto...

I know what you mean about information from the internet, it is other people’s opinion, personally I have never had a Toyota vehicle breakdown, to me they have been reliable, other people on here have had lots of problems.

I injured my back some 18years ago, it is screwed and wired together, one thing that I don't like doing is to keep taking my foot off the clutch when stationary or in slow moving traffic so I stopped doing it. (some would say buy an auto and I have had a few but it limits car choice) I have driven 10's of thousands of miles in that time and sat with my foot on the clutch for lengthy periods. In all that time I have not had to replace a clutch, they have never complained or started to judder, so my advice comes from what I have read on here and what I have experienced.

I know the "correct" way we were taught to do it, the first few cars I had didn't have synchromesh boxes so then it was double-de-clutching every time and match the revs, but time moves on and I firmly believe that you don't have to worry about it now.....

It doesn't matter what people say on here, if you are not happy doing it then don't. It would be a boring old world if we were all the same...

Pete

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links