Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brakes Grabbing

mickey.j.

HI.guys and girls..

First off appolgies if this subject has already been covered ,i did a search but have not found anything similar. so here goes.

The misus has a 2007 YARIS ZINC 1.3.

The problem we have are the brakes,which,when applied seem to have no effect then will suddenly grab on making for very jerky braking to say the least.I can only describe this like an old mk.2 cortina i used to own back in the day.whoes front brake calipers would seize and needed a good dose of copper slip to cure them.It is impossible to apply the brakes smoothly on the YARIS..

The YARIS is no where as bad as those were, as the YARIS brakes bring you to a good stop in a straight line and are not binding on as the car can easily be pushed..

OH yes i have rang the stealer numerous times and guess what there reply has been.?`` WELL SIR I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE.``

This is her second YARIS the first we had for six years and never so much as a blown bulb. and most likely the last,oh and i must not forget the CLUCTH JUDDER. again the stealer is unable to fix....

rant over hope someone has a solution.

ps .one of the best owners forums out there... regards mickey.j.

HI.guys and girls..

First off appolgies if this subject has already been covered ,i did a search but have not found anything similar. so here goes.

The misus has a 2007 YARIS ZINC 1.3.

The problem we have are the brakes,which,when applied seem to have no effect then will suddenly grab on making for very jerky braking to say the least.I can only describe this like an old mk.2 cortina i used to own back in the day.whoes front brake calipers would seize and needed a good dose of copper slip to cure them.It is impossible to apply the brakes smoothly on the YARIS..

The YARIS is no where as bad as those were, as the YARIS brakes bring you to a good stop in a straight line and are not binding on as the car can easily be pushed..

OH yes i have rang the stealer numerous times and guess what there reply has been.?`` WELL SIR I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE.``

This is her second YARIS the first we had for six years and never so much as a blown bulb. and most likely the last,oh and i must not forget the CLUCTH JUDDER. again the stealer is unable to fix....

rant over hope someone has a solution.

ps .one of the best owners forums out there... regards mickey.j.

I've noticed exactly the same thing with my Yaris lately, apply the brakes nice and gently, and theres nothing followed by a sudden *****, throwing passengers / luggage towards the windscreen.

Someone may be able to correct me on this, but i remember reading that the Yaris comes with Brake assist, which measures the force being applied to the brake pedal and adds more force when required... maybe it's this system having abit of a funny turn? My brakes have started making all kinds of hideous squeeking noises, which is audible in the car, and when the windows are down it's very loud... not really a problem just embaressing on a 3 month old car that's done less than 2000 miles!

Just got the wife our first Toyota. A Yarisand have exactly the same problem. You just have to think brakes when you are going slowly and you nearly finish up on the dash.

I took it back to the dealers who tried it and said they are all like this you will get used to it.

You do kinnd of get used to it until you drive something else, then it's back to square one.

I can't believe any manufacturer would make brakes so sensitive it's really bad with this ice on the roads at the moment.

Hi

My wifes Yaris, 57 plate 1.3 SR doesn't have the brake issue but it did suffer from the clutch judder, Toyota said they would look at it but I didn't get them too in the end because it appears to be caused by short trips, this causes the engine to warm up but not enough to heat up the bell housing so when you switch off, condensation develops on the flywheel and leads to it rusting whilst standing overnight, then the next day clutch judder... We used to live in town and this happened all the time, a good run with lots of gearchanges solved it....since we have moved out of town the car gets warm when taken out and it hasn't happened since...

This could also be the brake problem... light use will glaze the discs and cause snatching, a good few hard stops from 50ish will probably sort it out....

Good Luck

Pete

Hi

My wifes Yaris, 57 plate 1.3 SR doesn't have the brake issue but it did suffer from the clutch judder, Toyota said they would look at it but I didn't get them too in the end because it appears to be caused by short trips, this causes the engine to warm up but not enough to heat up the bell housing so when you switch off, condensation develops on the flywheel and leads to it rusting whilst standing overnight, then the next day clutch judder... We used to live in town and this happened all the time, a good run with lots of gearchanges solved it....since we have moved out of town the car gets warm when taken out and it hasn't happened since...

This could also be the brake problem... light use will glaze the discs and cause snatching, a good few hard stops from 50ish will probably sort it out....

Good Luck

Pete

Hi pete

I have a 2006 yaris and it has been doing this for a couple of months. It seems to be progressive so i thought that it might be related to pads becoming worn. It can't be glazing as my car is used daily and i drive it quite hard.

Regards

Alan

Hi

Glazed discs was just a hunch.... I don't know how Toyota can say they are all like that because yours was'nt for at least a year and my wife’s hasn't been since she has had the car so why is this affecting only some Yaris (what is the plural of Yaris... Yari? Yarises....)

If it has developed over time then it must be something that has changed over time, the only things that change are the discs, pads and brake fluid, like I said I would have thought the most likely cause was glazed discs, easy to see as they will be very shiny. They may also be suffering from overheating, this can cause a shadowing on the discs that appears at intervals around the disc, sort of like a slice of cake. It is where the metal hardens in some places, this can cause uneven braking and is usually felt as a vibration through the pedal. The pads can become glazed as well and some brake pads will, when hot produce a vapour which can get caught between the pad and disc and cause a momentary loss of braking before it disperses. The brake fluid is hydroscopic, i.e. it absorbs water, over time this builds up in the system, when the fluid gets hot the water boils and turns to steam, as you can compress a gas and not a liquid the brakes become spongy and inefficient. This is why the fluid is changed every two years, irrespective of mileage.

It could of course, as stated above, be a problem with the EBA system but this is unlikely they are pretty reliable and usually work or don't....

So a cure would be, new disc, pads and a fluid change, if it was my car and still under warranty I would be asking for this, cars don't just develop strange behavior on their own and you shouldn't be expected to put up with it.

Good Luck

Pete

Hi

Glazed discs was just a hunch.... I don't know how Toyota can say they are all like that because yours was'nt for at least a year and my wife’s hasn't been since she has had the car so why is this affecting only some Yaris (what is the plural of Yaris... Yari? Yarises....)

If it has developed over time then it must be something that has changed over time, the only things that change are the discs, pads and brake fluid, like I said I would have thought the most likely cause was glazed discs, easy to see as they will be very shiny. They may also be suffering from overheating, this can cause a shadowing on the discs that appears at intervals around the disc, sort of like a slice of cake. It is where the metal hardens in some places, this can cause uneven braking and is usually felt as a vibration through the pedal. The pads can become glazed as well and some brake pads will, when hot produce a vapour which can get caught between the pad and disc and cause a momentary loss of braking before it disperses. The brake fluid is hydroscopic, i.e. it absorbs water, over time this builds up in the system, when the fluid gets hot the water boils and turns to steam, as you can compress a gas and not a liquid the brakes become spongy and inefficient. This is why the fluid is changed every two years, irrespective of mileage.

It could of course, as stated above, be a problem with the EBA system but this is unlikely they are pretty reliable and usually work or don't....

So a cure would be, new disc, pads and a fluid change, if it was my car and still under warranty I would be asking for this, cars don't just develop strange behavior on their own and you shouldn't be expected to put up with it.

Good Luck

Pete

Hygroscopic. :)

Mart.

Hi

Good Luck

Pete

Hygroscopic. :)

Mart.

Bl**die spelcheacker...............

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links