Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Favourite Books, Or Series Thereof ?

Bizarra

Just for a change, What are your favourite books, read over & again ? (No colouring books allowed :bag: )

Mine are

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson (Must start @ book 1 or you won't have a clue )

The Ring trilogy by Tolkein

The DaVinci Code by Dan Browne

Hitch Hiker's Guide :thumbsup:

Well done Vic :thumbsup: I've been thinking for a while it would be good to have a book thread.

favourite reads-

All the Dan Brown books, Da Vinci Code etc (IMHO Angels and Demons was the best).

If you like religious conspiracy books like above try the Sam Bourne ones like The Righteous Men.

The two labyrinth books by Kate Mosse. (no, NOT the model :rolleyes: )

Just finished a book called Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill which I quite enjoyed and didn't realise was

horror story until I bought it. Wont waste it but its basically about an ageing rock star who buys a ghost

off e-bay.

i like to read autobiograpgys........alan carrs is hilarious!!!

but i like to read the true story books about child abuse and child rapes!!!

:blink:

My preferred reading matter is usually published by Haynes !

I don't read for pleasure at all, just lots of technical reference stuff.

are you thinking am strange???

they have titles like.....please daddy no.......dont tell mummy.......the little prisoner!!!

they have titles like.....please daddy no.......dont tell mummy.......the little prisoner!!!

They sound.............................."Interesting?" :eek::laughing: Found on the Top Shelf? :unsure:

They sound.............................."Interesting?" :eek::laughing: Found on the Top Shelf? :unsure:

No they are good CLEAN books!!!!!!

No they are good CLEAN books!!!!!!

Ok :D I was just a bit surprised :rolleyes:

Just for a change, What are your favourite books, read over & again ? (No colouring books allowed :bag: )

Mine are

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson (Must start @ book 1 or you won't have a clue )

Aww come on. This is one of the very few books I gave up reading. I did not find it engaging at all, three attempts and I dont think I will pic it up again. I rate this book worse than the Robert Jordan series.

The Ring trilogy by Tolkein. Its ok but I find it slow. Have you read the Raymond E Fiest Midkemia Novels, The rift war, serpent war etc. They books are fantastic Have you red Robin Hobb, starts with the Fubiker trilogy, but leads onto another two trilogy's, great reading

I did like that but preferred Angle and Demons. I also like his other two books.

If you ever come across the Rule of four, labeled as the intellectual DaVinci Code dont touch it, I hated it, by page 500 I was still waiting for something to happen.

favs are

Riftwar Trilogy by Raymoned E Fiest, Magician, Silverthorn and a Darkness at Sethanon

Robin Hobb's Asassin series and the following books, they get better by the book

Relic and Reliquary by Lincoln & Preston, They are great Authors who sometimes publish books alone, Lincoln Preston and Douglas Child. They have done some great books, and two fantastic characters over several books.

James Pattersons earlier stuff.

I usually always have some book on the go.

Pride and Prejudice is one I can always pick up and read - I love it!

Hitchhikers Guide - took me a while to love it but a friend lent it to me and I read it on holiday and I couldn't put it down (but had to to get suncream, most annoying!)

The Other Boleyn Girl - not historically accurate but still a great read and I love history books!

I don't tend to finish books unless they are quite brilliant and can hold my attention. Richard Hammonds autobiography was one of them. I have Russell Brands on the go at the moment and its, well different to what I thought, unlike Lauren I find it really hard to read about stuff like child abuse and the part when Russell admits to being abused, I kinda had to put it down, it upsets me far too much.

I bought Twilight recently hoping to capture some of my mis-spent youth getting "down wid da kids" as apparently the young'uns love it, but haven't started it yet!

I have About a Boy lent to me too, and never read The Da Vinci Code but that's waiting in the sidelines.

And don't hate me, but I got really into Jordans autobiography too! :lol: :lol:

Anything by jack Higgins especially all the Stories with Dillon, Hannah Bernstein etc etc :thumbsup:

Mine are

Aww come on. This is one of the very few books I gave up reading. I did not find it engaging at all, three attempts and I dont think I will pic it up again. I rate this book worse than the Robert Jordan series.

The Ring trilogy by Tolkein. Its ok but I find it slow. Have you read the Raymond E Fiest Midkemia Novels, The rift war, serpent war etc. They books are fantastic Have you red Robin Hobb, starts with the Fubiker trilogy, but leads onto another two trilogy's, great reading

I did like that but preferred Angle and Demons. I also like his other two books.

If you ever come across the Rule of four, labeled as the intellectual DaVinci Code dont touch it, I hated it, by page 500 I was still waiting for something to happen.

favs are

Riftwar Trilogy by Raymoned E Fiest, Magician, Silverthorn and a Darkness at Sethanon

Robin Hobb's Asassin series and the following books, they get better by the book

Relic and Reliquary by Lincoln & Preston, They are great Authors who sometimes publish books alone, Lincoln Preston and Douglas Child. They have done some great books, and two fantastic characters over several books.

James Pattersons earlier stuff.

I usually always have some book on the go.

Thanks for the tips & comments, Martin. Much appreciated :thumbsup: You really ought to try to stick with the Covenant series, though. It is in essence, a parable. "The Land" is the vision of our world as it should be-Beautiful, Rich & @ peace in its natural Health. The land is beset by evil, which is trying to devastate it , as our world is by pollution , overpopulation & destruction of the forests & wild life. It is hard going at 1st, but I sat till 3pm reading the latest volume, last night.

Another great favourite of mine is "Montaillou" by Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie (The world famous portrait of life in a Medieval village ) which I have lent , on occasion, to friends. It may no longer be in print.

It tells the story of life among the Cathars in the Languedoc. They were a breakaway sect, harmless & very Christian. The Inquisition was formed to eradicate them. They succeeded @ the time. It is an excellent book, as accurately researched, historically, as is possible.

http://www.cathares.org/lombrives.html

I'm afraid this is all in French, But it is vast, & you should be able to navigate it, even if you don't read it fluently.

Their memory lives on :thumbsup:

Another great favourite of mine is "Montaillou" by Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie (The world famous portrait of life in a Medieval village ) which I have lent , on occasion, to friends. It may no longer be in print.

It tells the story of life among the Cathars in the Languedoc. They were a breakaway sect, harmless & very Christian. The Inquisition was formed to eradicate them. They succeeded @ the time. It is an excellent book, as accurately researched, historically, as is possible.

http://www.cathares.org/lombrives.html

I'm afraid this is all in French, But it is vast, & you should be able to navigate it, even if you don't read it fluently.

Their memory lives on :thumbsup:

In that case you should certainly consider Labyrinth, it goes right back to Carcassonne in 1209. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that one, Dave.

Very funny coincidence :rolleyes: The name Labyrinth rang a bell, & I was reluctant to go through my bookshelves to see if I had it. Not alphabetised! :( . I happened to mention it to my daughter, last night & she had brought it down to me on the previous weekend :eek: It was sitting on the table beside me among a pile of books I hadn't gotten round to, yet. I have to finish Thomas Covenant before I forget who everyone is in the plot. I am not getting Alzheimer's, but there are a great many characters involved.

Oooh Thomas Covenent...the White Gold Wielder, excellent choice sir!

My own would include Terry Pratchett....that guy will be regarded as a Dickens of our age in the future I'm sure.

Just been working through a Brit called Richard Morgan, Cyberpunk SF and very good.

Peter F Hamilton on similar subject is also brilliant.

I could go on all day lol!

That Thomas Covenant really is not worth bothering about.....he he

Bizarra get into Fiest, start with the Magician, there are plenty of those 3.00am things you mention if you follow the books from the Magician right through.

On that theme David Gemmel is quite good, he did a Troy trilogy recently his wife finished the last book as he died before it was finished and it was good, he has written several, Sword in the Storm, Druss the legand, all very good. Between them and the Fiest novels I dont think Stephen Donaldson quite matches what I get from those books.

The Cathars were in a number of books, their beliefs and treasures etc. I think Bernard Cornwell did a series about the French English wars, focusing on a character named Thomas of Hookton (sp) The Grail Quest. I like them. In fact Bernard Cornwell has a prolific number of titles I have read a lot of his materials. I dont like all his books but he has written some really good books. He is probably a topic in is own right, as are the Cathars.

other authors I like

Clive Custler

James Rollings

Will Adams

Valerio Massemo Manfredi

Conn Igguden

I best stop there for the now...

Just re read The Odyssey by Homer, it took me back to my Greek lit days at school, Oh halcyon days. :bag:

Well each to their own but I am not convinced there is an argument for rereading Homer unless your doing some classical work, studies that kind of thing. I suppose I just dont see it in the entertainment category.

Just finished reading the jack reacher series by Lee Child (11 or 12 books), also started on some of the James Patterson books. I also ocasionally drop into fantasy books and 2 series I really enjoyed were the Dark Tower by Stephen King (these are not like his normal "horror" books at all) and another excellent series was called Otherland by Tad Williams (it's essentially about Virtual Reality).

Also I loved the Ender Saga by Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game was the first of six in the series).

Let me think...

Anne McCaffrey - Dragonriders of Pern series

Freda Warrington - The Jewelfire Trilogy

Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time series (tho I got to about book 6/7 and kinda stopped... might try and get back into it)

Bernard Cornwell - Sharpe series

Richard Morgan - Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, Woken Furies (the Takeshi Kovacs novels)

Bob Mayer - Synbat, Eyes of the Hammer, Z

Just some of the ones I like reading... the last stuff I read was Richard Morgan... need to find something else now methinks

Ann McCaffrey I have read some of her stuff, its alright.

Robert Jordan...the wheel of time. I definitely read book 10, I thought I had read book 11 but I now cant remember the title. I do wish he would bring the story to an end. I did notice that Brandon Sanderson (whoever he is) is working on book 12 and I have no idea if that will be the conclusion. But I cant read all those books not to finish it now. Must be the old fashioned version of a dedicated "Lost" fan.

Ive already mentioned Bernard Cornwell, the sharp series is good but not his best. I listened to most of the Sharp series I got given them all on audio book, which is great for listening while walking the dog. I have some James Patterson on audio and some Lincoln and Preston too which I really enjoyed but my favorite audio book was the Hanibal series by Richard Harris I think, just the job when out walking the dog in the dark! The story of young Hanibal was good too

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links