Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The "notchy Change From 3rd To 2nd Gear" Thread

Brassik

Hi Everyone,

I too have noticed this problem, going form 3rd to 2nd when slowing down it tends to crunch like I haven't go the clutch down. Is this roughly what everyone meant by the "notchy" change? Mine is supposed to be going in on Thursday this week for the MPG display fix (that's if they now have the part, which they didn't the last time I was booked in and went to the dealer :angry: ) So I'll talk to them abput this when I go in.

Hi Everyone,

I too have noticed this problem, going form 3rd to 2nd when slowing down it tends to crunch like I haven't go the clutch down. Is this roughly what everyone meant by the "notchy" change? Mine is supposed to be going in on Thursday this week for the MPG display fix (that's if they now have the part, which they didn't the last time I was booked in and went to the dealer :angry: ) So I'll talk to them abput this when I go in.

Just had mine adjusted so 3rd to 2nd is much better - trouble is I now think 1st to 2nd is worse!!! :wacko:

Could be another visit to Mr T before we take our iQ up to Scotland at the end of the month from Norfolk and I'd really like a smooth gearbox by then!

MrT? the same one that says a brake pedal to the floor is absolutely normal?

O dear....................best of luck to you......demand a fix and take a car from them to use.

I bought I iQ2 in September 09 and I know this doesn't help anyone, but I don't seem to be having these gearbox issues.

There is an occasional notchyness into second from first but it is going into gear every time. My opinion is that the short throws of the gearbox magnify the effect of any stiffness or notchyness. There is far more travel of the gear lever in other cars I have driven such as Peugeot and Citroen which although smoother actually require more force to put into gear.

I sympathise if you are having problems, some of the comments above seem quite serious.

My only problem is a pain in my left knee from operating the clutch that I only get when driving this car. :unsure: I suspect it's caused in part by a lack of height adjustment in the seat as my leg wouldn't have to hover as much I if I could lower the seat. I wish I had bought CVT.

I bought I iQ2 in September 09 and I know this doesn't help anyone, but I don't seem to be having these gearbox issues.

There is an occasional notchyness into second from first but it is going into gear every time. My opinion is that the short throws of the gearbox magnify the effect of any stiffness or notchyness. There is far more travel of the gear lever in other cars I have driven such as Peugeot and Citroen which although smoother actually require more force to put into gear.

I sympathise if you are having problems, some of the comments above seem quite serious.

My only problem is a pain in my left knee from operating the clutch that I only get when driving this car. :unsure: I suspect it's caused in part by a lack of height adjustment in the seat as my leg wouldn't have to hover as much I if I could lower the seat. I wish I had bought CVT.

Same experience here, in the beginning my wife complaint about switching gear from 3 to 2, but after some training, she's shifting fine now. If one comes from a Peugeot or Fiat it takes some getting used to this smooth shifting, but you have to "feel" the gearbox and don't force the knob into a gear.

BTW you could buy a LHS-version, but maybe you right knee will get the problem then.

Same experience here, in the beginning my wife complaint about switching gear from 3 to 2, but after some training, she's shifting fine now. If one comes from a Peugeot or Fiat it takes some getting used to this smooth shifting, but you have to "feel" the gearbox and don't force the knob into a gear.

BTW you could buy a LHS-version, but maybe you right knee will get the problem then.

Despite my comments above, I also suspect I'm getting old and the cold isn't doing my joints any good. ;) I think the CVT would be worth a look though as I spend most of my time in heavy traffic.

Interestingly, my otherhalf has also had problems. There can be a 'notch' sensation halfway into second gear that my girlfriend has struggled with, thinking it was in gear when it wasn't. For me this seems minor and once you know where the lever needs to be to be fully-in-gear it's not a problem. I actually like the gear box and find the small wrist movements to shift up and down quite pleasing. I much prefer driving the iQ than her Citroen.

I had the notchy second gear (bought car in July) and after reading about it on this forum, contacted the dealer, who confirmed it's a known issue, and fixed it under warranty, as per the technical bulletin.

They replaced the gear cable and made an adjustment and all gears are now lovely...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links