Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clock And Computer Reset On Startup

Puppie

hi all,

my avensis (53 d4d) has just started reseting the clock and fuel computer when you start the car.

it started a couple of days ago, nothing else wrong, still runs perfectly.

any ideas ?

--

Paul

Battery? Poor connection? Loss of power somewhere along the line, start with checking the basics. Have your radio station settings reset? That would indicate a battery/connection problem :thumbsup:

Battery? Poor connection? Loss of power somewhere along the line, start with checking the basics. Have your radio station settings reset? That would indicate a battery/connection problem :thumbsup:

If it was down to a poor Battery connection, it would have problems carrying the amps required to power the starter motor.

My guess is a poor connection elsewhere that loses connection when the Battery voltage drops under starter load

Hi,

thanks for quick response

nope, no loss of power, radio hasnt reset, all the fuses are ok. Battery connections were tight, i disconnected them and reconnected them just to be sure

also noticed earlier tonight that the interior lights dont work either.

mirrors, fog lights, rear view mirror dimmer thingy and everything else all still works.

most odd.

--

paul

Hi,

thanks for quick response

nope, no loss of power, radio hasnt reset, all the fuses are ok. Battery connections were tight, i disconnected them and reconnected them just to be sure

also noticed earlier tonight that the interior lights dont work either.

mirrors, fog lights, rear view mirror dimmer thingy and everything else all still works.

most odd.

--

paul

Also it happens when you turn the key to just before the starter motor engages, i.e. the car hasnt started yet.

--

Paul

You have a blown fuse.. the fact that the interior lights don't work signifies this (also the the clock will keep resetting as will the avg mph, time etc).

Recheck the fuses.. it will be one of the 7.5 amp fuses that has blown ;)

If it keeps blowing then there is a problem with either the interior lights or the vanity lights in the sun visors.

You have a blown fuse.. the fact that the interior lights don't work signifies this (also the the clock will keep resetting as will the avg mph, time etc).

If it keeps blowing then there is a problem with either the interior lights or the vanity lights in the sun visors.

thanks,

Ill recheck the fuses tomorrow

Just to ask its resetting the clock the one on the rev counter. Is it resetting the trip A or B. I need to disconnect the two connectors on the back of my fascia dials to get the whole thing out but this means it will lose all power. Is it safe for me to do this. I know it will reset the clock but is any one 100% sure it wont reset any mileage counters???

Just to ask its resetting the clock the one on the rev counter. Is it resetting the trip A or B. I need to disconnect the two connectors on the back of my fascia dials to get the whole thing out but this means it will lose all power. Is it safe for me to do this. I know it will reset the clock but is any one 100% sure it wont reset any mileage counters???

yes its the time clock thats resetting, total miles hasnt reset, i'll check the trip ones on way to work and update when i get there.

thanks,

You were right :-)

fuse 56, cursory glance looks ok, but was blown.

all fixed now.

thanks all for your help.

thanks,

You were right :-)

fuse 56, cursory glance looks ok, but was blown.

all fixed now.

thanks all for your help.

Does it reset Trip A,B???

Bad news :-(

Got in it this morning, and the same problem. looks like fuse has gone again.

is there any common fault that causes this ?

i did use the spare fuse that was in the box under the bonnet, so i will try getting a new one today and fitting that to rule out the spare one being a bit iffy

i did use the spare fuse that was in the box under the bonnet, so i will try getting a new one today and fitting that to rule out the spare one being a bit iffy

Sounds like something is causing it to short and burn the fuse. Thanks for the info on the mileage counters.

Not good news.

Do all the lights work when you lift the flap up for the vanity mirrors? After you've replaced the fuse that is..

I'm supecting a dodgy wire on the back of one of them.

Not good news.

Do all the lights work when you lift the flap up for the vanity mirrors? After you've replaced the fuse that is..

I'm supecting a dodgy wire on the back of one of them.

When you lift the mirrors flap its just the two light each side of the mirror that light up, if thats what you mean.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links