Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wheel Sizes/widths

Martz

Hey Guys,

Kinda fed up with my standard 15's and so I've decided to go for a set of 17's. The thing i don't understand is the wheel widths. I can get 17x7, 17x7.5 and 17x8. Does this actually make a difference to the with of tyre that can be put on them and what is good for an ST202 GT. Oh and i am looking at getting 215 width tyres.

Cheers guys

For 215 you want 17x7.5. The second number is the rim width in inches, i.e. 7.5" in this case. You need to match the tyre and rim width so that the tyre does not overhang the rim too much.

7.5" = 190.5mm, so the tyre overhangs by approx 7mm per side.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for that mate,

one other point that's been going round in my head.

my current wheels are 205/55/R15 giving a total diameter of 607mm

if i then get 215/40/R17 giving a diameter of 604mm can i use one of my old 15's as a spare?? if not any ideas on where i can get a spare (spacesave or other)

cheers guys

That would be no problem whatsoever, especially if it isn't one of the driven wheels. Even if it is, the percentage difference is so tiny, you'd be more worried if you were running one of the 17s with 15psi less pressure.

I've been looking into this a bit further and the wheels that i want (Mille Miglia Evo) only come in 17x7 or 17x8.

What is the best wheel/tyre size combo for these options without having to change speedo's or arches etc? I would ideally like 215 width minimum? and 225/40 tyres don't seem to exist!!

Cheers Guys

I would say 215/40R17 should be OK on 8" wide? Bast thing to do is to ring the place you are getting the wheels from and ask. They will know far more about it than I do!

For reference 235/40/17 is a popular size aongst the Gt4 boys as that replicates the standard 215/50/16 rolling radius pretty well.

However I know someone running 235/35/19 without any problems.

Cheers djdna2000, you've been a great help.

Just noticed you're from Manchester and i think i've seen your car about, r u in Didsbury by any chance?? If so i think my mates bird lives on the same road as you...heh...small world.

Originally posted by Martz

I've been looking into this a bit further and the wheels that i want (Mille Miglia Evo) only come in 17x7 or 17x8.

What is the best wheel/tyre size combo for these options without having to change speedo's or arches etc? I would ideally like 215 width minimum? and 225/40 tyres don't seem to exist!!

Cheers Guys

They do mate cos im running 225/40/17's on my Curren!:)

Martz, yeah I live in Didsbury matey, not many other GT4s about in Manchester tho.

Try wheelbase in chadderton for yer wheels www.wheeel-base.co.uk as they are the cheapest around, and really know their stuff. Will fit em for you too.

Martz, yeah I live in Didsbury matey, not many other GT4s about in Manchester tho.

Try wheelbase in chadderton for yer wheels www.wheel-base.co.uk as they are the cheapest around, and really know their stuff. Will fit em for you too.

Just looked at wheel-base.co.uk, they seem very competitive, i'll have to give them a call.

Now you mention it i've only seen one other GT4 in Manc. Wilmslow Rd, opposite Owens park, i think one of the take-away owners has got a silver one, seems to be parked there quite a lot.

So you seem to have done a lot of mods, do you visit many cruises/shows, are there many around Manc?

Laterz

I'm not really your typical petrolhead I don't think, never been into cruises and the like. The ST205 is actually the first car I have personally owned!

I just like fiddling about with it doing mods (and driving fast!). We have quite an active GT4 owner's club, we get to track days, run a yearly track/1/4 mile shotout, do dyno days, and had a stand at the Jap Auto show at Billing last year.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links