Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Twin Exhaust Rav 4.3 Diesel

local hero

For about 12mths now I've been saving my pennies for a twin exhaust, two things bother me, firstly if i have one fitted + then i don't like the sound (this happened with a K+N filter) I've wasted £300 + might not be able to switch back + secondly if i have one made up they need my car for the day which means a possible day off work which obviously is an additional cost, Anyway thats my problem :yes: I know Hoovie has them fitted but thats a 4.2 petrol, + I know Robert has them on his 4.3 but I think i am right in saying he has had his from new, so has anyone had one fitted aftermarket + if so was there a noticeable noise difference.. :thumbsup: Stew... any other info much appreciated

Maybe you need to get Robert to Make a "Binaural Recording" for you.

Find an old shop dummy, drill a hole where the ears are and embed a cheap microphone in each hole.

Send this to Robert and get him to drive around with it in the passenger seat, while recording the noise to a laptop.

Maybe for a more accurate recording of the noise from the driver's seat, Robert will need to drive around with the dummy on his lap, but I'm sure this is a minor inconvenience. :yes:

Do the same thing in your own RAV and compare.

You know it makes sense. :thumbsup::unsure:

................in fact, if you like the noise, just stick to playing back Robert's recording in your own RAV through headphones. You'll get the same effect as the twin exhaust, it's much cheaper and you won't be able to here any annoying passengers.

Engineers - Can do for tuppence what anybody else can do for £1. Can you see why I are supposed to be one? :rolleyes: :P

Maybe you need to get Robert to Make a "Binaural Recording" for you.

Find an old shop dummy, drill a hole where the ears are and embed a cheap microphone in each hole.

Send this to Robert and get him to drive around with it in the passenger seat, while recording the noise to a laptop.

Maybe for a more accurate recording of the noise from the driver's seat, Robert will need to drive around with the dummy on his lap, but I'm sure this is a minor inconvenience. :yes:

Do the same thing in your own RAV and compare.

You know it makes sense. :thumbsup::unsure:

................in fact, if you like the noise, just stick to playing back Robert's recording in your own RAV through headphones. You'll get the same effect as the twin exhaust, it's much cheaper and you won't be able to here any annoying passengers.

Engineers - Can do for tuppence what anybody else can do for £1. Can you see why I are supposed to be one? :rolleyes: :P

Brilliant Idea SHCM :D :D :D Alternately, Rob could post his exhaust noise on youtube, I could post mine, then we could have a listening panel + a phone vote, and we could call it the Xhaust FACTOR :D Brill

I know it may not be a lot of use to you as, as you know, mine is a 4.2 and petrol, but I think the car sounds better, runs better and looks better with the twin exhaust, BUT I found mine on eBay at a bargain price so didn't have THAT much to lose if I didn't like it.

If you go custom, any chance of the fabricator doing a bulk discount if you get a couple of other people interested?

From memory, the toyota kit has some extra bits as the bumper has to be cut.

From memory, the toyota kit has some extra bits as the bumper has to be cut.

Took the plunge, just ordered this exhaust see pic below, but will take 2 to 3 wks as has to be sent from Deutschland, found a guy on a French Rav 4 forum who has one + fitted it himself seems very impressed, Anchs as usual has offered to help/ fit it for me :yes: So Ive just been to Morrisons + stocked up on Strawberry pear cider, going to try it to-night (the cider) apparantly they had Toffee Apple pear cider for bonfire night :rolleyes: This is all new to me but If its good enuff for Anchs its good enuff for me :unsure: just in case anyone thinks ive gone soft also got a few bottles of bishops finger ale :thumbsup: Stew

2648_RAV4_Heck2.jpg

Sorry guys am only getting round to reading these today (pressure of work, don't you know!)

Ancs is right, my twin pipes were installed by the dealer pre-delivery. There is also a "skirt" which tidies up the rear end - if you get my meaning. The dealer did say his guys had never fitted one and they had to shave the mud flap to get it to fit.

It's got a nice sound, not loud or bragging. In fact, now the Rav4 has a few kilometres on the clock (53000) it's running better and better. I think these cold mornings help (something to do with the density of the air????)

P2240243.jpg

I won't show this to the better half, nor try to explain why I have something sitting on my lap to the local Gardai :o

Sorry guys am only getting round to reading these today (pressure of work, don't you know!)

Ancs is right, my twin pipes were installed by the dealer pre-delivery. There is also a "skirt" which tidies up the rear end - if you get my meaning. The dealer did say his guys had never fitted one and they had to shave the mud flap to get it to fit.

It's got a nice sound, not loud or bragging. In fact, now the Rav4 has a few kilometres on the clock (53000) it's running better and better. I think these cold mornings help (something to do with the density of the air????)

P2240243.jpg

Lovely pic of your car Rob great colour is this not very similar to what Anchs is looking for (Tidal Blue) :unsure: Anyway the cheapest i can find your exhaust + the matching rear skirt for is, wait for it £711 and i am not sure if that includes vat :eek: To much for me I'm afraid, The one I have ordered should be £340 + vat but managed to get it for £300 inc vat + carriage. I emailed Cobra in Germany + they assure me that on a diesel it makes little or no difference to the sound + is very easy to fit, so I will wait + see, will prob have to trim my rear N/S mudflap but sure I can manage that.. :thumbsup: Stew

I saw an SR in that colour today (the most accurate description is from the !Removed! themselves - deep violet) and with the dark wheels...........

Don't forget stewpot we can get over the pit now so no stories of you struggling in the drive!!!

Toby will be able to look you straight in the eye!!!

Don't forget stewpot we can get over the pit now
Can the PIT be sealed up? might bring the misses :shutit: :mad2::naughty::spiteful:

Ill grass you up next time I see her.

Regards

Stool pigeon!!

When I had my first Rav ( 98 Freesport) I bought a TTE twin exhaust thru Flee-bay and had it fitted. It was actually for the 4.2 version but they got it to fit. It sounded very raspy. I then got my Dad to fit me a K/N induction kit and did away with the OME air box. Boy it sounded like a Formula 1 car coming up the road!!!!!. Remember when I traded in for 4.3 T180 the dealer insisted we put the OME box back on!!!!

Just out of interest mt 2006 T180 is back on sale at our local Nissan dealer 35000 miles on clock and going for £16500 and it still looks good, such a shame about the MPG

Regards Clare

Hiyup Clare

Nice to hear from you!!!

Hope you and your Dad are OK.

Regards

Cheers Anch,s I still come on every now and again. The BMW X3 forums are **** compared to the banter on the Rav 4 section!!!!

Regards Clare

• 2 weeks later...

Well my new twin exhaust came to-day from Geermany, It looks good :thumbsup: came in 3 main parts 2 clamps, a bracket, a bolt + rubber "hanger"and instructions which say Remove old silencer, fit new silencer making sure tailpipes are level tighten all fastenings.. :eek::eek: a couple of piccies to follow..

newexhaust124.jpg

newexhaust126.jpg

newexhaust125.jpg

Well some French guy fitted one to his so can't be that difficult.. :fear:

Where's the afterburners fit stewpot?
Have to say they look good, but not sure about the "T" junction part, wouldnt have thought that was the best Idea for getting rid of exhaust gases :unsure: But Hey Ho, what do I know, might have to turn the wick up a notch on my "Chip" :rolleyes: ...Stew......... Below is the Remus/TTE version

90650616171.gif

Well my new twin exhaust came to-day from Geermany, It looks good :thumbsup: came in 3 main parts 2 clamps, a bracket, a bolt + rubber "hanger"and instructions which say Remove old silencer, fit new silencer making sure tailpipes are level tighten all fastenings.. :eek::eek: a couple of piccies to follow..

Stew, I thought for a moment that you'd bought some of those cow horn handlebars you mentioned the other day. :unsure: I like those pipes in black though. :thumbsup:

Stew, I thought for a moment that you'd bought some of those cow horn handlebars you mentioned the other day. :unsure: I like those pipes in black though. :thumbsup:

Bet you can't buy cowhorn handlebars anymore, probably violate some health + safety laws, :unsure: Anyway SHCM thanks for saying you like my black pipes, because on the Cobra ad below, they are silver + i was contemplating painting them before fitting but yes i think they are more subtle in black :thumbsup: Cheers mate...Stew

2648_RAV4_Heck2.jpg

Anyway SHCM thanks for saying you like my black pipes, because on the Cobra ad below, they are silver + i was contemplating painting them before fitting but yes i think they are more subtle in black :thumbsup: Cheers mate...Stew

Do you think Cobra have changed them as a "cost down"? I agree I think they are more subtle in black. Plus will you see that much of pipe when they are fitted? When covered in road grime, will they look better black anyway? :thumbsup:

The barrow handles would be better in chrome :rolleyes: Is the tyre a run-flat or do they supply gunk?

Well spent a very pleasant morning over at Anchs, fitting my new Exhaust, well that is Anchs fitting + me trying to look intelligent + be helpful when i could, It all went extremely well + actual fitting was no more than 1 hour, we then spent a couple of hours having a brew + generally putting the world to rights, you will be pleased to know that there are no more problems in the world now as we have solved them all :thumbsup: Anyway I drove the 30mls home + there were no rattles or any other problems So Anchs has done an excellent job as always, + many many thanks to him :thumbsup: I was very suprised at how quiet the car seems now + feels really smooth, so on first impressions I would recommend this to anyone who has thought about doing it, I will add a couple of photos but TBH they are not brilliant as it is persisting down...Stew

myexhaust124.jpg

myexhaust125.jpg

myexhaust127.jpg

myexhaust126.jpg

Dont suppose anyone knows if its possible to buy a FULL SIZE o/s rear mudflap?

I was very suprised at how quiet the car seems now + feels really smooth, so on first impressions I would recommend this to anyone who has thought about doing it,

Dont suppose anyone knows if its possible to buy a FULL SIZE o/s rear mudflap?

Local, I remember how smooth yours was @ Warrington with Kingo's chip fitted, so it must be fairly good now. :thumbsup: It looks good as well :yes:

I suppose, there is now room for the full size mudflap? I guess one alternative might be to look for some non-toyota ones, but you might not like the look of that. On my old 4.2, I wasn't convinced that the length of the Toyota ones were very effective. From some very large mudflaps I found, I cut them to fit inside the wheel arch over the top of the existing mud flaps, mounting with the existing fixing holes.

From the back, it just looked like the existing ones had been extended downwards by 2-3 inches. I wonder if you could do something like that to extend the existing one sideways? Again, you might not like the look.

Probably easier to look for non-Toyota ones, you could shape to fit, if a full o/s is not available. Just some daft thoughts anyway. :thumbsup:

I was honestly feeling dead chuffed as i read your reply, cos almost word for word that was exactly what i was thinking :yes: Then when i was feeling all clever :D you go + finish by saying, just some daft thoughts.. :lol::lol::lol: But seriously thanks for input, I'm sure if it ever stops raining I will come up with something...Cheers mate

I shink itsh only a matter of time before I have one of thsh. Hic.

Shorry I'm full os pear shider!!

Cheers Shtew :drunk::beer:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links