Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Obd Reader Experiences

Leodanger

What code reader do you use  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What type of OBD reader do you use?

• Toyota Specific
    • Generic reader
    • What's an OBD reader?

Hello all...

As my wife's 2.0 Rav4 has just returned from the dealer for a (approved-used warranty) repair of a Bank 2 Sensor 1 P1155 fault, I've started thinking again about buying my own OBD reader.

I've done my best to research the different ones on the market, and am leaning towards the Launch CReader V

http://www.launchtech.co.uk/creader.html

The advantage, as I see it, is that while this is still a Chinese made device, there is a real company supporting them in the UK, so if there are problems, I can get some advice. I also talked to the people there, and they were extremely helpful.

I'm aware that this is a generic reader, with the ability to see many manufacturer specific codes, and that it contains a PTC lookup table. I know that Toyota specific readers are available, but as our family also runs a BMW E46 318, I want something that's good value and could work with both cars.

My question to you all is, what is your real experience of generic readers (whether it's the Launch, or maybe the cheap Autels). Have you found that generic readers have missed things? Have they been wrong, or of course, have they solved a problem for you?

If you swear by a Toyota specific reader, why? What does it do that a generic one doesn't?

Thanks all for your time!

Cheers...

I got a Scangauge that connects to the EOBD port and apart from reading - and resetting - codes, does a whole lot more. do a search on SCANGAUGE on the forum to see more info on this forum. Google Scangauge for general info and latest prices,etc.

how much is the one you are looking at?

Or are you maybe posting a link to that Chinese pap as a disguised form of trying to sell your own product?

Or are you maybe posting a link to that Chinese pap as a disguised form of trying to sell your own product?

There is a lot of it about Hoovie ;)

There is a lot of it about Hoovie ;)

Actually, no, I'm not posting the link to sell it – I was hoping for some useful advice. The Launch costs £60. I've seen the Scangauge, and as I didn't need a lot of its extra features I decided to look elsewhere. Incidentally, where is the Scangauge made?

Generic readers, as far as I've found so far, are pretty much the same in terms of their results – what faults have you successfully diagnosed / repaired using the Scangauge?

Thanks...

To reiterate my post (my first on this forum), I'm looking for honest and helpful experiences of the use of ANY generic OBD readers.

I've been looking at a model by Launch, and one by Autel. I'd been attracted by the Launch as they also seem to supply professional kit, but I would appreciate advice from anyone with experience of any dedicated and generic readers, as getting an honest and informed opinion on the real differences is proving pretty hard.

Thanks...

Its unusual for somebody to make their debut with a poll which has probably caused the suspicion and I was wondering when I read it this morning. We have a lot of spammers so I will be watching how this develops. However, having read your post and link I have voted and I have a U480 code reader. Having said that I am impressed with the Launch product even if it is because it looks the part. My code reader doesn't show the definition only the code so that would save hunting but it would also be plagued with the same generic descriptions which don't always match EU definitions. It would also be nice if these things would read ABS and SRS info without paying the earth.

It would also be nice if these things would read ABS and SRS info without paying the earth.

I expect for the "low cost" to happen (or at least help) the industry would need to agree a common diagnostic protocol for the rest of the systems on the vehicle (not just powertrain). As you know, the common powertrain diag stuff (OBD) only came about through legislation really.

The PC based readers (e.g. ELM based) do me fine for OBD and at least Mr T has other ways of checking/clearing DTCs on some models without needing readers.

To be honest, with graphical/text display based instrument packs, why should a reader really be necessary at all? (£££ for dealers perhaps? :rolleyes:)

Its unusual for somebody to make their debut with a poll which has probably caused the suspicion and I was wondering when I read it this morning. We have a lot of spammers so I will be watching how this develops. However, having read your post and link I have voted and I have a U480 code reader. Having said that I am impressed with the Launch product even if it is because it looks the part. My code reader doesn't show the definition only the code so that would save hunting but it would also be plagued with the same generic descriptions which don't always match EU definitions. It would also be nice if these things would read ABS and SRS info without paying the earth.

Blimey... Just thought it would be interesting to see how people voted, and also give a guide as to how many people actually use them. Bit of a disappointing introduction to a forum to be viewed with such suspicion, especially as I thought it was pretty clear I was talking about other generic readers too! Maybe I should have put lots of posts up asking which alloys fit my wife's car first!

The U480 looks a lot like some of the Autel range I had been looking at. How have you got on with it? Has it's ever mis-diagnosed a code, or do you find a generic reader is okay? Have found that the lookup tables don't seem to match always, so even if it was built on (like the ones I've been looking at), I'd still want to check it. Having said that, try searching for the P1155 code and see hwo there's at least three popular definitions.

Have you actually solved problems with yours? I figure that if a low-cost one can do a reasonable job, even going to the stealer armed with some knowledge would be a help!

• Like 1

From what I can gather, I think the Launch isn't compatible with CAN – am I right in thinking this could be a problem? If so, I might look back at the Autel MS509 (I haven't put a link to one as I don't want to promote any shop!). This is another chinese-made generic reader, but it seems to conform to more protocols. Maybe!

EDIT: Scrap that, looks like it does after all (lists ISO 15765- CAN)

Don't be offended - that is a very common way of punters advertising their wares so everybody gets a bit techy as a result.

I never had a problem misdiagnosing but I don't really have a representative experience. It did show up a Toyota specific code once and I just looked it up from my stock info. I do like the idea of more info and maybe the O2 sensor readout would be handy.

• Like 1

Don't be offended - that is a very common way of punters advertising their wares so everybody gets a bit techy as a result.

I never had a problem misdiagnosing but I don't really have a representative experience. It did show up a Toyota specific code once and I just looked it up from my stock info. I do like the idea of more info and maybe the O2 sensor readout would be handy.

Fantastic - thanks! I take it once you had the code definition you were able to fix the fault? The last thing I'll want is to get a code, then spend a fortune replacing the wrong sensors!

Yes I identified the fault but in this case it helped by us being able to pre-emt a policy warranty with Toyota. The dealer was acting gormless but TGB authorised it straight away.

I am very tempted to buy that CreaderV in which case my U480 will go in the for sale section.

Yes I identified the fault but in this case it helped by us being able to pre-emt a policy warranty with Toyota. The dealer was acting gormless but TGB authorised it straight away.

I am very tempted to buy that CreaderV in which case my U480 will go in the for sale section.

Fantastic – thanks VERY much!

Have finally placed my order, and on the retailer's recommendation, ended up going with the Autel MS509. Will report back later...

Have finally placed my order, and on the retailer's recommendation, ended up going with the Autel MS509. Will report back later...

Is that good for the diesel versions of the Rav4 too?

Is that good for the diesel versions of the Rav4 too?

This quote is from a retailer's site:

OBD2 or EOBD was not enforced by legislation in the EU until 2001 for petrol engines and 2004 for diesel engines. Some manufacturers voluntarily introduced OBD2 prior to these dates but not all.

It depends on the age of your Rav4. Some vehicles may be compliant – hopefully someone with far more knowledge than me will know when EU Toyota Diesels fell into line.

OBD2 or EOBD was not enforced by legislation in the EU until 2001 for petrol engines and 2004 for diesel engines. Some manufacturers voluntarily introduced OBD2 prior to these dates but not all.

It depends on the age of your Rav4. Some vehicles may be compliant – hopefully someone with far more knowledge than me will know when EU Toyota Diesels fell into line.

I've a 2005 diesel and think it might be a sound investment :angry:

I've a 2005 diesel and think it might be a sound investment :angry:

When my wife's home with the car tonight, I'll try it out. Already tested on my BMW E46, and it communicates fine. Haven't any problems to fully test it, but it had no problem live graphing the revs, so its clearly talking!

Hi,

Having bought a Rav4 T180 a couple of days ago, I just joined the club this morning.

I've read through this post with interest as I have a Launch Creader 5 already and just tried it on my Rav4 before writing this, and I'm happy to say it worked fine, in fact its worked ok on every car I've tried it on that is supposed to comply (cant remember exact dates, but petrols from 2002 and diesels from 2006 rings a bell) Some manufacturers complied with the 'generic' protocols even earlier than that.

A mate of mine is one of the most clued up people your ever going to meet when it comes to OBD/fuel injection/engine management issues, if you go to the Automotive Trade Show at the NEC he is on a first name basis with some of the big boys, GenRad, Snap-On, Autodiagnos, AutoData etc and he's helped some of them develope equipment (when they will listen!) And he was involved at the start in trying to get the manufacturers to fit OBD in the first place, back in the 80's. When I was thinking of buying this tool, I asked his opinion, he said to me Launch were making some of the best tools money could buy, they were bang upto date as at any one time they have several hundred people reverse engineering systems to obtain the info! Although he hadn't used the Creader V he had used the Pro tool and was massivly impressed, more so than some of the 'tool van' scan tools available.

For anyone interested I can confirm the Creader V is CAN compatable and can be updated over the internet, you register a serial number with the manufacturer and can download and update (via supplied usb cable) the tool. When I bought mine the updates were free for life.

I'm not a seller or even a mechanic (just a DIY'er) I can't even remember where I got my Creader from, I do remember the Britool van were trying to sell them on special offer at the time for £160 after a google search I got mine for £45 + postage.

Regards Austin..

I've just tried the Autel MS509 on my wife's car, and it seemed to communicate fine. It displayed live data (as a graph too, if selected), and it didn't seem to have any problems picking up the sensors and displaying them.

I haven't been able to try it on a fault code (with any luck I won't have to), but it seems quick and easy to use, and pretty responsive. The only oddity is that the ABS light flashes on the dash while the reader is connected, but that clears as soon as it's unplugged.

I'd read online that someone had problems with their reader when they upgraded it, but the supplier of mine had included a note saying that the unit is shipped with the latest firmware (quoted as 2.12, but mine is actually 2.13), and that the Autel website has the old version (2.02), so you mustn't use it to upgrade.

The reader cost me £69, and delivery was a fiver, arriving next day (a Saturday).

Here's the link I bought from (Scantool-Direct in the UK):

http://www.scantool-direct.co.uk/product/Maxiscan_MS509_OBD|EOBD_Scanner_aus509

The owner replied quickly to all (and there were a lot!) of my questions, so I'm pretty happy that if I do need any support, there's someone there to go back to.

ScanTool.net seem to have more info than Launch on the CReader V - they even produced their own manual: Launch CReader V Manual

(So ended up ordering one via eBay for under £50 :thumbsup: )

ScanTool.net seem to have more info than Launch on the CReader V - they even produced their own manual: Launch CReader V Manual

(So ended up ordering one via ebay for under £50 :thumbsup: )

They do another gismo that I might look out for now that I've got a vehicle to use it on, can't think what its called just now, its like a flight recorder, if you have an intermittant fault, this plugs onto your diagnostic port and records engine running data for (if memory serves) 24 hours, so if you use the car 1 hour a day it can potentially record 24 days data. You then hook upto your pc and look through the data for your problems.

Regards Austin..

(So ended up ordering one via ebay for under £50 :thumbsup: )

They do another gismo that I might look out for now that I've got a vehicle to use it on, can't think what its called just now, its like a flight recorder, if you have an intermittant fault, this plugs onto your diagnostic port and records engine running data for (if memory serves) 24 hours, so if you use the car 1 hour a day it can potentially record 24 days data. You then hook upto your pc and look through the data for your problems.

Regards Austin..

I'm pretty sure the Launch CReader, and certainly my Autel MS509, record freeze-frame data, so you can see what the engine was doing at the point of the engine light being activated. Also, the Autel shows live data, and allows you to record it, then print to a PC (but not a Mac, dammit). I haven't tried this function yet (to be honest, I'm not sure what half of the stuff means!), but it sounds like it's pretty similar to the flight recorder. Scantool-Direct have both the Launch and the Autel, but the Autel is only a tenner more.

I'm pretty sure the Launch CReader, and certainly my Autel MS509, record freeze-frame data, so you can see what the engine was doing at the point of the engine light being activated. Also, the Autel shows live data, and allows you to record it, then print to a PC (but not a Mac, dammit). I haven't tried this function yet (to be honest, I'm not sure what half of the stuff means!), but it sounds like it's pretty similar to the flight recorder. Scantool-Direct have both the Launch and the Autel, but the Autel is only a tenner more.

The CReader does'nt record the data, it will show all live data and also you can select a sensor and see it as a graph (looks like a mini scope trace)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links