Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2007 2.2 D Oil Consumption

pcdabbler

Had my Rav4 around a year ago and am mightily impressed with it. Was really low mileage as well, less than 10k miles on it. Just gone into the dealers for it's annual service, and it has not come out. It lies in pieces at the moment. The Dealer found the coolant level low and also diagnosed the dreaded oil consumption problem. As it stands at the moment, it's having the full monty, a new short block, piston rings and head gasket at the last count. Although it's technically out of Warranty, the engine is one of those at risk from high oil consumption and Toyota UK have been very up front and honest, and all the work is being covered free of charge. I have been offered a free courtesy car as well. I'm actually quite happy at the moment. Things mechanical do go wrong from time to time, and it's very refreshing and pleasing that Toyota deal with issues like this is such a good way. I shudder to think what it would have been like with one of the other manufacturers. I have had bad experiences with warranty work with other cars (non Toyota) in the past. My next car will be another Toyota when I've worn this one out.

Good on ya, pcMcDabbler....but you do realise you have thrown MOST members into total confusion, having the audacity to come on here and talk POSITIVELY about your experiences, and wax lyrical about Mr.T?

Great to hear some good positive news furra change.....now ....where's ma wrist scalpel...?

Big Kev :yahoo:

Nice to hear a good story altho I'm surprised at a young engine having to be pulled apart....

As you'll see from my sig below , you may have yer RAV for another good few years!!

Had my Rav4 around a year ago and am mightily impressed with it. Was really low mileage as well, less than 10k miles on it. Just gone into the dealers for it's annual service, and it has not come out. It lies in pieces at the moment. The Dealer found the coolant level low and also diagnosed the dreaded oil consumption problem. As it stands at the moment, it's having the full monty, a new short block, piston rings and head gasket at the last count. Although it's technically out of Warranty, the engine is one of those at risk from high oil consumption and Toyota UK have been very up front and honest, and all the work is being covered free of charge. I have been offered a free courtesy car as well. I'm actually quite happy at the moment. Things mechanical do go wrong from time to time, and it's very refreshing and pleasing that Toyota deal with issues like this is such a good way. I shudder to think what it would have been like with one of the other manufacturers. I have had bad experiences with warranty work with other cars (non Toyota) in the past. My next car will be another Toyota when I've worn this one out.

It is good way to be responsible for own product.

Cheers/Igor

always best to be positive. I work in a high pressure envoironment, in a sustaining group at a site that runs 24/7. Thnigs go wrong with mechanical objects. After 30 +years of car ownership, the likes of Vauxhall, Nissan and ford are not a patch on the level of aftersales service Toyota offer. so yea, even though the rav has gone wrong, Toyota have done themselves proud !

Nice to hear a good story altho I'm surprised at a young engine having to be pulled apart....

A lad at work had the same scenario with his 57 plate 2.2d Verso but decided against having the work done and p/exed it..... for another Toyota Verso (his 3rd) this time a 2.0d.

The Dealer found the coolant level low and also diagnosed the dreaded oil consumption problem

how did they manage that??to diag a oil burning problem you must top the level up hand the car back to the customer get the customer to drive 500-1000 miles then bring back to the dealers they check top up and note the oil used......also 10k is a really really low milage...

if you look at the coolant bottle in the first pic note the cooland all over the coolant bottle etc thats how you know your gaskets away also if the coolant in the bottle is a blacky colour the gaskets gone

ive just removed a t180 engine to do a full rebuild on....

182199_1428024280946_1843016754_805008_6364224_n.jpg

168456_1428941783883_1843016754_806273_4387978_n.jpg

Thats interesting, I had noticed coolant on top of the expansion bottle from the overflow, I'd just thought it was overfilled ! I'll find out later in the week exactly what they are doing/Have done, but it sounds serious. engine has 13k on it. They have so far mentioned new rings and a new block (!) so maybe found something more serious when the head came off.I believe they are waiting for bearings (what sort I don't know, wife phoned up today). It's her car. I'm into two wheels, As long as it's under warranty. Should be for that for the very low mileage covered. So much for diesel longivity and reliability ! I will report back though once it's back on the road with the full story.

you will get a new block,new pistons,new rings,new shells and you will get a new head which will be rebuilt using the old cleaned up valves but new seals etc.....you have to replace them all if you are getting a new block you Will need a new head...

ive got mine totally stripped and just been told i can get my con rod bearings tomorrow all are size 2(theirs 5 sizes) but the crank bearings are a diff story!!!!! 3 size 3's and 1 size 2...same as above can get the size 2 for tomorrow but the size 3's are back order and toyota dont know when we'll see them.....

when you remove the head you have to check the shuffel marks on the head and on the block if they are over 3mm or are grooved you replace.....if the block is marked so will the head be...

Thanks for that Ormi, I'm no stranger to engines, we are also waiting for shells then, Dealer rang today advising of a delay, and extending the hire car for us into next week. I wonder whether it would have been cheaper for Toyota just to replace the engine ?

All parts arrived earlier than Toyota said. Pick the car up tomorrow. Hope it's ok. It's a zero timed engine now, so it will need running in again !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links