Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Is Your Other Car ?

pgp001

I apologise for hijacking the "Tramlining" topic with my Austin 7.

I think it would make a good start of a new topic for people to add to though.

So here it is again on a country lane with a nice view, not far from home just above Cononley in West Yorkshire.

DSC04744.jpg

And another parked up outside our front door ;)

OSU582-at-Bowes-Museum.jpg

Actually it was taken at Bowes museum in Barnard Castle.

And finally just to show we are not afraid to actually use it, here's one for our members up North.

04.jpg

The car is a 1936 Austin 7 based RTC Special, it has a 747cc side valve engine which has been shall we say "tuned slightly"

The limiting factor on top speed is remembering that it still has cable operated brakes, and in an accident the body would offer about the same amount of protection as a biscuit tin !

These are very much an acquired taste, but I have had this one for fifteen years and am not fed up with it yet.

Phil

Phil, it is a fantastic car. I just wonder how many of the technicological marvels we call cars today will still be around in 70-odd years?

Just as a matter of interest, the Austin 7 was the first car that dictated the layout of car controls as we know them today.

By that I mean the Clutch-Brake-Throttle layout, and the gearbox gate positions.

Before that there were no real standards and the throttle was often the middle pedal for instance.

Phil

Indeed it was, Austin licensed the design to Datsun in Japan and I believe to Chevrolet in the US at around the same time, thereby ensuring the pedal layout became a worldwide standard...

I think it was something like that anyway :thumbsup:

Just as a matter of interest, the Austin 7 was the first car that dictated the layout of car controls as we know them today.

By that I mean the Clutch-Brake-Throttle layout, and the gearbox gate positions.

Before that there were no real standards and the throttle was often the middle pedal for instance.

Phil

Many years ago I had a graphic demonstration of why standardisation was a good idea. A guy I worked with had a 1929 3.0L Bentley. Fantastic car after all the work was finished. Black Le Mans body with the whole of the inside done in red leather. He bought it to work one summer day and of course a few of us demanded a ride at lunchtime. We set off through Hall Green ( Birmingham ) towards Solihull and gradually relaxed as we got used to the roar of the wind and the exhaust. Going at probably 25 to 30 mph along a quiet suburban road gradually catching up a bus when the bus stopped dead opposite another bus stop with its own bus rolling to a stop. Not nearly enough road for two buses plus the Bentley so our driver braked with the sort of pedal pressure you would use with 2 tons of car, no servo and no disc brakes. Or at least he would have braked in his normal car - in this instance the middle pedal was the accelerator. The car leaped forward and I'm convinced we all moved toward the centre of the car and breathed in. Nothing actually touched but it was a good job that the paint was not any thicker on any of the vehicles. I've certainly never been closer to anything in a car before of since.

Anyone remember left foot braking in in the original mini? Not for the faint hearted :thumbsup:

Not quite as interesting but a fun little drive all the same...

608b4847.jpg

Girlfriends Cooper S.

Had this until last year but wasn't getting to use it enough so let her go...

Photo0212.jpg

Photo0216.jpg

Photo0215.jpg

Photo0345.jpg

1968 VW Karmann Ghia slammed with a narrowed front beam and Mahle Magnesium wheels off a porche 914. Lovely car!!!

This is my other car - a 2005/55 Honda S2000. Had it nearly 4 years now and absolutely love it!!

post-105785-0-67328800-1298808869_thumb.

post-105785-0-43539400-1298808912_thumb.

Not sure how to get the photos in to the post without them being attachments

This is my other toy......Gets me to places the RAV would struggle too :rolleyes::rolleyes: soon to have another friend to keep it company...it'll have more suspension travel than the RAV too.....

1ec61c10.jpg

This is also mine but I let her indoors drive it..... Until the summer comes then I nick it back :lol::lol::lol: B) B) B)

DSCF0637.jpg

DSCF0636a.jpg

The roof motion is amazing....and a doddle to clean inside as well.....B) B)

Daily driver is a Skoda Octavia, but my fun weekender is a 1974 Triumph Stag, which takes a lot of tlc but is a cracking classic and is worth all the work. Probably has the best sounding V8 ever made.

Bob.

Here is my other car - a 2005/55 Honda S2000. Had it 4 years now and absolutely love it!! :thumbsup:

gallery_72679_25988_10624441344a50daa8bd26a.jpg

gallery_72679_25988_170099232447eaa52b977e7.jpg

Here is my other car - a 2005/55 Honda S2000. Had it 4 years now and absolutely love it!! :thumbsup:

gallery_72679_25988_10624441344a50daa8bd26a.jpg

gallery_72679_25988_170099232447eaa52b977e7.jpg

Looks great. Have a hankering after one of those myself :thumbsup:

Buy one - you can get a really good one now for around £10k and it will put a smile on your face every time you drive it!!

Blue is the colour to have - nice motor :thumbsup: I do like the celica

post-105693-0-74057700-1300527400_thumb.

My weekend runaround ! Hope the picture is shown

That looks very well cared for. Quiz question for you: Where in France can you find one of those with a genuine French number plate? :g: In fairness I think it is an RM rather than an RML

Mike D

from a very sunny and nearly warm Dartmoor

My 2 weekend Toys....Audi TT 3.2 (sounds brilliant) - and yes I know its not a car....forgive me! - My Yamaha 1000cc Fazer with the R1 Engine...

AudiNoPlate.jpg

Fazer.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links