Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Losing A Bit Of Coolant And White Spots On Engine Cover.

*Rich*

After reading about head gasket failures on theses engines, I checked my car and I have been losing a small amount of coolant. It is only about an inch down the coolant tank over a year, so I wasn't unduly worried.

However after reading about the white spots deposited on the engine cover being a sign of the head gasket going, I checked for that and noticed I seem to have that symptom too!

I have included a picture, is this the sort of thing I should be worried about?

The car has no other signs of having anything wrong with it, overheating etc...

Thanks.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_4RYfocvXq4M/TXdEX1aLjxI/AAAAAAAAALo/ku7h9XXnv3E/s800/IMAG0163.jpg

yip you need a engine rebuild mate.....they dont overheat when the gasket goes they just spit all the coolant out..

yip you need a engine rebuild mate.....they dont overheat when the gasket goes they just spit all the coolant out..

Toyota have told me that there is no extended warranty period for this problem too, even though other people have had theirs done free of charge.

:huh:

yes their is mate 100% i just got a boy in cyprus a free engine rebuild for this fault he also got told their was no warranty... 112k or 6 years mate

100%free rebuild mate..what toyota do you go too? tell them to go on the computer and look up product reports...i'll get you more details that you can go back in armed with......

or you can give me their number and i'll phone them...

For now I have just contacted them, and not gone to the dealership.

I have topped up the coolant and cleaned the engine for now, but when it is showing symptoms again I will take the car in to be looked at.

Any details you could provide would be very helpful, thanks!

yes their is mate 100% i just got a boy in cyprus a free engine rebuild for this fault he also got told their was no warranty... 112k or 6 years mate

100%free rebuild mate..what toyota do you go too? tell them to go on the computer and look up product reports...i'll get you more details that you can go back in armed with......

or you can give me their number and i'll phone them...

I think my head gasket might be going again on Avensis!Mine is the T-180 2.2 estate on a 2007 plate as it seems to losing coolant and I can see some white marks on the engine cover.

I've book the car in at my local dealer to see if I can claim on the 112k or 6 year warranty. The car has almost 108000 on the clock with a full Toyota service history. I also have the rust problem on the top corners of all the doors that I'd also like to claim for under the perforation warranty.

Can you tell me if I will have to pay for Toyota to check out both these problems? Or is this visit covered by the extended scheme and no charge to me?

• 1 year later...

Hi

We read the info on this site after our 08 reg Verso was losing coolant but was showing no other symptoms. Hubby called into Toyota dealership near work and were really rude & knew nothing about extended warranty. I was convinced that it was the head gasket so chanced it and rang the another Toyota dealer nearby (never use - too expensive). Said that we had heard it was a common fault and may be covered on extended warranty. They were incredibly helpful, booked us in, arranged a free courtesy car and explained that the problem could be covered but was on a case by case basis. Had to prove that it had been serviced regularly but only had to pay for consumables (£64) and they put a reconditioned engine in it! Had the courtesy car for 2 weeks too. Funny thing is that now I might actually consider using the garage now for repairs. Would tell anyone with this problem to contact a main Toyota dealer & if they know nothing about it - just ring another! They told us that it doesn't matter which dealer does it is it is the manufacturer who pays. GOOD LUCK!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links