Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Iphone Operating System And The T Spirit Head Unit

Seamaster73

iOS 5 Streams Track/Artist Information to Bluetooth Audio Devices

Buried in the hundreds of new features in iOS 5 is support for AVRCP 1.3 (or maybe even 1.4!), a Bluetooth standard that gives iPhones the ability to send artist, album and track name information to Bluetooth audio devices such as those in the stereos of some newer cars.

bluetoothiphone-500x276.jpg

iOS has been stuck at AVRCP 1.0 for nearly a year, and though the iPhone allowed control of the some music playback (back, next, play/pause, and volume up/down), the device wouldn't pass on information about what song was currently playing. In iOS 5, that all changes.

For more information, check out Wikipedia's page on the different versions of AVRCP and what, exactly, each version supports.

Source: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/09/ios-5-streams-trackartist-information-to-bluetooth-audio-devices/

That's freakin' sweet. I'm really looking forward to iOS5 and OS X Lion. iCloud is looking pretty awesome too. Bring it all on! :yahoo:

It's pretty cool that Apple have effectively done more to upgrade the user experience of using the head unit in the Prius than Toyota have ever done!

So if I understand the thread correctly iOS 5 (in Betas I think at present) allows the track, album and artist info to appear on the screen in the Prius when steaming bluetooth audio?

My trusty HTC HD2 MS Windows phone does that now which I think somewhat negates the argument that Apple are doing anything special to enhance the Prius head unit when it already supports track, artist and album data using windows software. It sounds more like Apple are playing catch up to me but then I have never been an Apple fan.

• Like 1

So if I understand the thread correctly iOS 5 (in Betas I think at present) allows the track, album and artist info to appear on the screen in the Prius when steaming Bluetooth audio?

My trusty HTC HD2 MS Windows phone does that now which I think somewhat negates the argument that Apple are doing anything special to enhance the Prius head unit when it already supports track, artist and album data using windows software. It sounds more like apple are playing catch up to me but then I have never been an apple fan.

Yawn...anything else it can do? You can keep your MS system thanks but I'll stick with my Mac products.

Boring you am I? Thats typical mac fans, very short attention spans. :P Only Joking.

Plenty! It can be customised to suit me and my preferences, supports Office etc and isn't configured to lock out the user from the OS. Its a mini computer in every sense of the word. You asked!

Please do. I am sure the lack of support for standards such as Flash and true multi tasking is something you Mac fans have learned to live with. :P

• Like 1

Boring you am I? Thats typical mac fans, very short attention spans. :P Only Joking.

Plenty! It can be customised to suit me and my preferences, supports Office etc and isn't configured to lock out the user from the OS. Its a mini computer in every sense of the word. You asked!

Please do. I am sure the lack of support for standards such as Flash and true multi tasking is something you Mac fans have learned to live with. :P

I get what you're saying, I really do. But, I love the way all my Mac products (2 iMacs, iPod Touch, iPhone 4 and iPad 2) all work seamlessly together plus I like the iOS and the integration with iTunes, Apple TV, Airplay, etc. On a purely style POV I appreciate the materials and workmanship in each device. But it would be a very boring place if we all liked the same thing plus the market wouldn't develop like it has done over the last few years if we all bought MS or Unix systems.

Each their own and that's fine by me. :thumbsup:

Pete

I get what you're saying, I really do. But, I love the way all my Mac products (2 iMacs, iPod Touch, iPhone 4 and iPad 2) all work seamlessly together plus I like the iOS and the integration with iTunes, Apple TV, Airplay, etc. On a purely style POV I appreciate the materials and workmanship in each device. But it would be a very boring place if we all liked the same thing plus the market wouldn't develop like it has done over the last few years if we all bought MS or Unix systems.

Each their own and that's fine by me. :thumbsup:

Pete

Absolutely. I couldn't agree more.

All the best.

Alan

So if I understand the thread correctly iOS 5 (in Betas I think at present) allows the track, album and artist info to appear on the screen in the Prius when steaming Bluetooth audio?

My trusty HTC HD2 MS Windows phone does that now which I think somewhat negates the argument that Apple are doing anything special to enhance the Prius head unit when it already supports track, artist and album data using windows software. It sounds more like apple are playing catch up to me but then I have never been an apple fan.

My HTC smart is used for bluetooth phone only, I use the hard drive for my music choice or the radio...

It's pretty cool that Apple have effectively done more to upgrade the user experience of using the head unit in the Prius than Toyota have ever done!

Seamaster mate, for someone who still hasn't got their gen3, you seem to be knocking it a fair bit?? I know I'm biased having had a Gen2 as well as other Toyota's for 25 years, but I do think you should wait till you get yours before you find fault...

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

My HTC smart is used for bluetooth phone only, I use the hard drive for my music choice or the radio...

The hard drive will only record files from bought or burned CD's though. I have quite a lot of individual MP3 songs and individual classical tunes that are kept on the microSD card on my phone hence the use of the HD2 as a player from time to time.

The hard drive will only record files from bought or burned CD's though. I have quite a lot of individual MP3 songs and individual classical tunes that are kept on the microSD card on my phone hence the use of the HD2 as a player from time to time.

Indeed, we all use the head unit in different ways, and no doubt there will always be someone that the options are simply not enough. But, ffs it's nice to simply drive in the peace and quiet sometimes too!!!

Indeed, we all use the head unit in different ways, and no doubt there will always be someone that the options are simply not enough. But, ffs it's nice to simply drive in the peace and quiet sometimes too!!!

Peace and quiet in a Prius? lol!

Peace and quiet in a Prius? lol!

Yah when the wife is at home :yahoo:

I've found another use...I've been buying Chris Ryan's Extreme books from iBooks for my iPad. There are 4 in total. The Enhanced versions are the same price (£1.99) and these include an audio version built into the book. It read out very well indeed. Using Airplay and BT the book can be read out aloud via the car's Speakers and not a wire insight. Well, it's another way to pass some time. :)

I've found another use...I've been buying Chris Ryan's Extreme books from iBooks for my iPad. There are 4 in total. The Enhanced versions are the same price (£1.99) and these include an audio version built into the book. It read out very well indeed. Using Airplay and BT the book can be read out aloud via the car's speakers and not a wire insight. Well, it's another way to pass some time. :)

Phew...... for a minute I thought you were going to say you can read it on the screen as you drive along. ;)

I just found out that if you open the Dragon Dictation app on the iPhone, it connects to the bluetooth like a call...not tested it fully to see if it is actually useable, but an interesting discovery none the less...tonight I'll try the voice commands for iPhone, see if they trigger the bluetooth as well!

iOS4.3.3 / Gen 2

• 3 months later...

Can confirm that the new iOS5 update to iPhone has delivered as promised on this.

IMG_0022-3.jpg

It's a really nice little upgrade to the HU's functionality. Remote control of the iPod functions of the iPhone is also enhanced — in addition to play, pause and track next/previous there's now repeat and shuffle and an elapsed track time display.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links