Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spare Wheel.

Paulus17

How safe are the spare wheels on the back of the RAVS??

Are they prone to been stolen or am i just worrying to much :o

Similar to your wheels on car, Paul,the spare will be secured with a locking wheel nut of the same key....I do have mild concerns re the expensive "painted to match" wheel covers though....?

Big Kev :unsure:

I wouldn't worry too much, just take some basic precautions.

Mine has a small padlock on the cover latch to deter people from nicking it, and I have a set of Toyota locking wheel nuts on all five wheels.

Phil

Some swine has already nicked mine - I know the culprits name but no one will take any action - it was a Japenese gang called Toyota :yahoo:

Gus

They didnt even give me one so somone could nick it. Now thats robbery

I also put a small padlock on mine, every little helps

Keep it to yourselves,please,mine is held secure (I hope)by a security torx screw and locknut. :thumbsup::unsure:

It seemed to me to give less scope to the cropper toting misunderstood little :censor: :censor: :censor: !!!

Del

Are they prone to been stolen

Probably only by us poor unfortunates who weren't given one in the first place.......................

Thanks all :thumbsup:

Kev the cover is a concern also.I was surprised how it is attached with a flimsy clip.

Do you have to rotate the cover into the slots so it locks in or is it just a push on.?

I found it very awkward to get back on and needed another pair of hands to help :help:

I did think of a small padlock but the security screw sounds good Del.Any chance of a piccy or to showing what you have done??

I've had a couple of small padlocks on mine but found they were prone to rust and had to get the croppers on them. There are a couple of raised markings on the cover that you align centrally on the lugs then give it a whack with your hands! It's not the simplest thing in the world it has to be said.

Thanks all :thumbsup:

Kev the cover is a concern also.I was surprised how it is attached with a flimsy clip.

Do you have to rotate the cover into the slots so it locks in or is it just a push on.?

I found it very awkward to get back on and needed another pair of hands to help :help:

I did think of a small padlock but the security screw sounds good Del.Any chance of a piccy or to showing what you have done??

It certainly seems flimsy when it's off the car and then it's a real beggar to handle. Because of this and its shape,it is very easily damaged off the car. On the other hand, when fitted properly, it seems pretty robust. Ours has been backed into various things over the years with nothing more than the odd scuff/scratch as a result. It is a !Removed! to re-fit but if you take your time & line up the indentations (at about 10 & 2 o'clock if I recall correctly) carefully, it goes back on quite easily; after you've done it a couple of times, it's simple. I use a small padlock on mine (as well as locking wheel nut) and as long as you take the lock off now & again and give it a squirt with WD40 or something similar, it continues to work OK. I tend to use a dry-lube spray which is brillaint for locks and leaves no residue.

Firemac

I suppose it depend largely where You live or where You leave the car parked .... I am stopping with Friends in the Midlands at the moment and I'm glad Toyota saw fit to deprive Us poor T180 owners of a spare wheel.. I have lock-wired the the tow-bar cover to stop the thieving Bar Stewards fro thieving it !! Or at least the lock-wire will cut the Stewards fingers if they try....

A friend caught some one nicking the bumper off His car a while back !! H went out and kicked the Steward in the ribs !! Now Me being a Wee Guy and of a shy and retiring disposition I would have let the Steward have the bumper.................. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Wee Charlie.

Looks like we will try the small padlock first as we have a couple spare. :thumbsup:

Hopefully we won't be taking the spare off very often,just that after seeing one of the garage blokes trying to put the cover back on,even banging it with his hands i thought i would have go meself and did find it awkward.

Where about in the Miglands are you Charlie??

Looks like we will try the small padlock first as we have a couple spare. :thumbsup:

Hopefully we won't be taking the spare off very often,just that after seeing one of the garage blokes trying to put the cover back on,even banging it with his hands i thought i would have go meself and did find it awkward.

For what it's worth, if you need to resort to banging it on, then you are doing something really wrong. I can't think of a quicker way to damage it irreparably. If you take a minute or two to look at it and line it up properly, it nearly goes on by itself.

If I caught some garage gorrilla banging it on, I'd have give him more than a stern word.....

On the 4.3, the cover latch cannot be released if the rear door is not open. As such, I have no concerns for the welfare of the spare on the back.

In terms of handling the dubbrie, nae baw at aw'.... Pops off from the bottom first, and goes back in the same way it comes off. Piece of cake.

Jim i soon stopped him when i saw that it wasn't lined up corectly,but been my first time it took a bit for it to sink in and realise what he was doing.

When i tried it would slip on ok but i would have one side or the other inside the inner casing,and it would take some effort to get it back off, as if it was jammed on??

I like the idea of having the latch hidden when the door is shut.

Right in the Miggle Mate ........... :lol: :lol:

Bromsgrove... Not the most salubrious part ....................................

Wee Charlie.

Right in the Miggle Mate ........... :lol: :lol:

Bromsgrove... Not the most salubrious part ....................................

Wee Charlie.

Not a million miles away then.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links