Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Faulty Trip Computer?

fan168

I have the 1.8 V-Matic Auto.

Was curious to see how many miles I could get out of a tank of fuel so ran it down to the low fuel warning which according to the user manual indicates that there is 9 litres remaining. The trip computer said I had a driving range of 4 miles and an average fuel consumption of 38.2 mpg.

Do I have a faulty trip computer? as I would expect the range to be at least 76 miles given that there is 9 litres remaining. I filled it to the brim and that was 47.04 litres so therefore 12 left in the tank. The average fuel consumption was generous by 2 mpg as well.

Does anyone else experience this behaviour? car is under warranty so want to get everything ironed out before it expires.

I have the 1.8 V-Matic Auto. Was curious to see how many miles I could get out of a tank of fuel so ran it down to the low fuel warning which according to the user manual indicates that there is 9 litres remaining. The trip computer said I had a driving range of 4 miles and an average fuel consumption of 38.2 mpg. Do I have a faulty trip computer? as I would expect the range to be at least 76 miles given that there is 9 litres remaining. I filled it to the brim and that was 47.04 litres so therefore 12 left in the tank. The average fuel consumption was generous by 2 mpg as well. Does anyone else experience this behaviour? car is under warranty so want to get everything ironed out before it expires.

Sounds like its ok to me, the consumption isn`t far off but the range is always iffy. ;)

The range and fuel consumption can play tricks on you, my wife managed to get the range to read zero without the low fuel warning light coming on!

The range figure is based on both the average and instant consumption hence why you can get discrepancies :thumbsup:

Its trying to stop you from running out of fuel, which by all accounts can be quite annoying......

2MPG out isnt bad really.

The range and fuel consumption can play tricks on you, my wife managed to get the range to read zero without the low fuel warning light coming on! The range figure is based on both the average and instant consumption hence why you can get discrepancies thumbsup.gif

My wife found it quite nerving thinking we might run out of fuel as the trip read 4 miles left. She was almost convinced that the low fuel warning light wouldn't come on when we dropped below 10 miles.

As you have a similar car (I know its manual so should be more fuel efficient), can I ask how many mpg's you are experiencing?

As you have a similar car (I know its manual so should be more fuel efficient), can I ask how many mpg's you are experiencing?

If I drive we get between 38 and 42mpg (the most out of a tank has been 418 miles), if my wife drives it's nearer 35mpg...

She has a heavier right foot than me! :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

A bit off topic, but i'm curious... is it possible to change from MPG to l/100km ????

Just because thats how i used to drive back in Portugal...

Anyone knows??

Tks

It is indeed, you can change from MPG to L/100km through the "settings" section of the trip computer

It is indeed, you can change from MPG to L/100km through the "settings" section of the trip computer

Sorry... newbie here i guess... but how do i get to "settings" ????

Tks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links