Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Prius Which Model Is Bettter Gen 2 Or Gen3

choudhrysuk

hi i am newbie to this site. Previous to this i had an auris diesel. I want to purchase a prius hybrid but i am unsure about which model is the best. Do i go for a gen2 or gen3. Also what do I need to be aware of when buying. As well as this, do I buy a t3, t4 or the t-spirit.

That's a lot of questions - most of them are down to personal preference.

I test drove both the Gen2 and Gen3. I actually preferred the Gen2 and ultimately bought one over a Gen3.

I don't like the interior of the Gen3 dash mostly. The 3 modes don't really do too much for me (I would probably have left it in power mode) and I actually felt that the Gen2 was more responsive/quicker than the Gen3. No science to back that up, just my experience.

I ended up with a T Spirit with Leather interior, couldn't be happier with it except that the Sat Nav is old and out of date (2008), can't be used even by a passenger when the car is moving.

I think Which? or something recommended the T3 based on value for money.

Other than the leather interior being my number 1 requirement, I wanted the bluetooth phone integration which, if I recall correctly, only comes on the T-Spirit.

Things I looked out for: I wanted full Toyota service history - that's about it.

My advice: Test drive both a Gen2 and Gen3. I preferred the 2, YMMV.

As I said, I got a Gen2. Couldn't be happier really. Had it for just about a week and I'm getting roughly 55mpg without having to try any of the crazy hypermiling/gliding stuff - although I will say I am much less heavy on the pedals in the Prius than my last car.

Good luck!

I don't want to be grumpy but hey it is my name. My last half dozen posts or so have answered this very questions to some degree. Whilst I welcome new members to this site which is a mine of information, I would also suggest they have a look at all the threads on the first page as most common questions are there already. The thread title might not indicate the content either as things often go way off at a tangent most times, so read them all in full :)

I have a Gen 3 2011 T Spirit and I have owned a Gen 2 T spirit. I think both models are excellent but I think the Gen 3 T spirit would be my preference in leather. If you are buying a pre owned vehicle go for a gen 3 T Spirit 2010 or 2011.

As GC says there is a lot of info on this subject on this site. Buy from a reputable Toyota dealer unless you know the previous owner and the car well. If you notice any dents or scratches get the dealer to sort them prior to purchase. Hope you get your Prius; whatever you choose you will have an excellent car. The car almost drives itself. The Gen 2 is £10 a year road tax, Gen 3 no road tax. London congestion charge on Gen 3 is £10.

As well as reading some other threads on this forum, you can also rummage over on Prius Chat http://www.priuschat.com

A main summary on gen2 vs gen3:

1. Gen2 seems better built.

2. Gen2 has better warranty than early gen3 (up to 1st july 2010)

3. Gen3 has lower co2 hence lower VED and LCC etc.

4. Gen3 gets slightly better mpg (and heated door mirrors)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links