Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4.3 Multimedia Interface

illogiko

Does someone know if it's possible to use the full map unit screen (I have a B9004) for watching TV or a DVD movie?

Give a look at this site:

http://www.novosonic.es/interfaces-multime...f61a8&pag=3

Interface's price seems to be very expensive: 550€ !!! :o

Don't you think it could be possible to intercept audio/video signals from the rear ports of the unit without using the (high cost) interface?

Share our informations.

Fabrizio

Hello Fabrizio,

Thanks for the info.

Yes it does seem expensive. Also, I think the instructions do not show the rear view of the B9004, so I do wonder if this interface really works with the B9004, even though they do show a front picture of the B9004 on the website. I guess we would have to talk to them to check.

I have some thoughts on a multimedia interface. They are only thoughts, I'm not saying that all of this is possible yet!

A crude first attempt could be:

For the video - use the camera input. I have tried this with the composite video (TV) output from a laptop PC and it works. You need a switch to intercept the reverse gear input signal so that you can get the B9004 to display video without reverse gear selected. I have done this. I have used a switch that either connects the original harness signal to the REV input, or connects the REV input to 12V to simulate reverse gear.

It works, but the downsides are

1. You always get the camera warning message at the bottom of the screen, over the picture.

2. It is good enough for TV pictures, but if you wanted to say display a high res output from a PC, then the translation to video would not give you a sharp image. Lower resolutions (say 640x480) should be OK.

For the audio, this is where I need to make more progress. The B9004 does seem to recognise a CD changer if you put a device with a CD changer ID on the avc-lan (iebus). As I think I have said in other posts, I tried an aux interface box (pretends to be a CD changer) connected to be B9004. I got audio for about 5 seconds then problems. I think the problem is the B9004 is asking for information over the iebus that the aux interface does not understand. This interface previously worked with a 4.2 head unit (18302 I think).

Now, it may be that a newer aux interface box or one from another manufacturer may just work and that would solve the problem, but when I did a search for an interface earlier in the year, I couldn't find one that supported the B9004 yet. Maybe there is one now, I haven't looked.

If you can connect an actual CD changer to the B9004 (and I don't know whether a dealer could do this - I haven't asked one) then I see no reason, why an aux audio input box couldn't be made.

That would give a kind of multimedia interface, but is not a great solution. You might need some other separate switches (or something) to control your multimedia device for example. Maybe we can do better.

As a small challenge, I'd like to learn what is happening anyway, so my next plan is to build a iebus sniffer, to see if the aux interface problem really is to do with the iebus. There are several designs on the web, but I may just do my own.

I looked through the files on the map DVD. The DVD contains software for the B9004 as well as maps.

The software has text for CD Changer (we know this may work), Cassette and DVD Changer. So, there is perhaps the possibility of a DVD Changer. But, what does DVD Changer mean? I'm not a expert on that. Does it mean the DVD is used to store a large amount of audio only? Does it mean it just plays the audio from a rear seat DVD system? or does it mean that the head unit will play DVDs (audio and video)? If it does, then maybe there is the possibility of a much better multimedia interface and maybe there is another video input somewhere on the unused connector pins (we can hope!).

This is also another reason to build an iebus interface and get it to pretend to be a "DVD Changer" and see what happens and what clues it gives!

If (a big if) this dream is possible, it may still be only be a composite video display. It would be much nicer to have a vga type signal input.

Of course a better way to find if any of this is possible would be to open the B9004 and have a look at the PCB and the ICs. I did have a quick look at doing this, but "chickened out" because it didn't look too easy to take apart. It was only a quick look though, so it might not be too bad to do. I will concentrate on the iebus for now. Of course if anybody wants to donate another B9004, then I will gladly take that apart! :D

That's what I hope to do. It's maybe a big dream. It may take me a while because like most people, there are other demands on my time unfortunately.

Other interesting things about the B9004 is that it uses an open map standard "kiwi-w". This does make me wonder whether it would be possible to generate your own map updates and maybe add your own POIs such as speed cameras. It would need some software writing to manipulate the map data. I have only seen a program available that will display the map data. This dream is for much later.

There are also people out there trying to remove the annoying safety "I Agree" screen. This I think is a very much harder problem as you may have to disassemble the software on the map DVD that the B9004 runs.

Sorry for the long post. Hope it makes some sense.

We can certainly share information - maybe use this thread.

Are you one of the guys that installed the rear view camera on www.rav4.it?

Cheers

First of all, thanks a lot for your exaustive answer, it means you are a fanatic such as I am !! ;-)

Ok, ok.... too difficult!!! (difficult make me excited!!!) :D

Why do they use iebus? maybe to force us to buy to buy CD charger or components from the same manifacturer?

I really can't understand such marketing rules!!

Ok, let's work!

Test the avc-lan with your iebus sniffer and try to discover if the lock depends on this.

This solution could let us to build an audio interface because the warning text over the picture is not a big problem but audio lack and noise via FM modulator is it.

I'm keeping in contact with "Bortesi" an italian interface dealer that seems to be a guru in this field.

At the moment I'm still waiting for the rev camera from internet dealer (30€), all tests are done as you can see here:

http://it.geocities.com/illogiko/

Still under construction.

I want to reserve this site for us and our study and when our work will be finished, we could share our results with all Rav4's friends. :-)

Are you agree?

I have only to intercept the REV cable to simulate rev signal without unmounting the unit. Have you some tip or picture (via mail)?

Ok, this is the first step.

The second is the "dream" to have the B9004 working as a video DVD reader! Very hard I think.

Software used in the unit seems to be hard to understand. I have never seen this kind of code.

Maybe the instructions to read a video DVD could be stored into the unit's rom rather on the DVD!?

This could be an interesting study.

Third step could be going inside the navigation software for adding POIs and update maps.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm trying to do my best. :huh:;-)

Regards, Fabrizio

Your English is much better than my Italian so please don't apologise.

In any case this whole thread might as well be in Italian for me!

Hello Fabrizio,

Why do they use iebus? maybe to force us to buy to buy CD charger or components from the same manifacturer?

Well, it was invented in Japan I believe (unlike the CAN bus) and is slower than most CAN implementations, so maybe more suited to this application.

At the moment I'm still waiting for the rev camera from internet dealer (30€), all tests are done as you can see here:

http://it.geocities.com/illogiko/

Good to see you have video working.

I want to reserve this site for us and our study and when our work will be finished, we could share our results with all Rav4's friends. :-)

Are you agree?

Yes, I have no problem sharing the information.

I have only to intercept the REV cable to simulate rev signal without unmounting the unit. Have you some tip or picture (via mail)?

I've intercepted REV at the unit, but I will look to see if there is an easier place.

The second is the "dream" to have the B9004 working as a video DVD reader! Very hard I think.

Yes, very hard for now I think. I'm not even sure whether it has the hardware and/or processing power to do this.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm trying to do my best. :huh:;-)

As anchorman said, your English is fine, no need to apologise.

I think all the Italian I know is a few words - enough to order one beer or two. :lol:

Cheers

ANCHORMAN: Your English is much better than my Italian so please don't apologise.

SHCM: As anchorman said, your English is fine, no need to apologise.

Ok guys! thank you very much, I will forward this opinion to my teacher :rolleyes:

Well, Mr. Bortesi answered my mail:

Video interface is not ready yet.

Audio interface costs 75€ and gives an AUX audio input for the B9004 unit; it connects with the CDcharger input.

The contact is Marco at +39522973037

I'm going to call, order and try.... of course I will let you know.. :-)

In the meanwhile, you could give a look at the site (updated). In the specific the picture at the downside of the page. What is the other connector?

And then, what is the big hole in the metal surface at the center of the rear door? Perhaps it could be a subwoofer's side?

Bye with cheers and eating a pizza for lunch, Fabrizio :D

Hello Fabrizio

Audio interface costs 75€ and gives an AUX audio input for the B9004 unit; it connects with the CDcharger input.

The contact is Marco at +39522973037

I'm going to call, order and try.... of course I will let you know.. :-)

Ok, Thanks good news. I suspected that it wouldn't be too long before the aftermarket guys caught up and made a commercial unit.

In the meanwhile, you could give a look at the site (updated). In the specific the picture at the downside of the page. What is the other connector?

And then, what is the big hole in the metal surface at the center of the rear door? Perhaps it could be a subwoofer's side?

Maybe it is one of these:

S1 centre stop lamp - 2 pin

S2 Heated rear window - 2 pin

S3 Boot lamp - 2 pin

S4 Noise filter (Heated rear window) - 2 pin

S5 Rear wiper Motor - 3 pin

S6 ( A and B ) License plate lamp

S7 Camera - 6 pin

S8 oscillator for Key Entry - 10 pin

S9 Door Handle - 6 pin

S10 Door Lock - 10 pin

S11 Rear Fog (Centre) - 2 pin

Any idea what colour the wires are going into the connector? That might help identify it. How many pins does it have? Can't tell from the picture. Sorry, don't know about the hole.

Bye with cheers and eating a pizza for lunch, Fabrizio :D

Mmmmmm..............pizza :drool:

OK guys!!!

all has been made!

Video input works fine: DVD video source is ok (PAL colors slighty on magenta) and Reverse Camera video is good!!

Audio input works super fine! Now I connected DVD audio source and PC (Samsung Q1) audio source.

Audio input works via Bortesi's interface plugged into CD changer socket. If you have a cd changer, don't worry. Bortesi's interface gives out another CD input.

Pictures will be soon on the web site.

Now (shcm), do you know if the B9004 unit has an audio signal (not amplified) output to send to an external amplifier???

I'm going to upgrade the oem audio system.

Thanks, Fabrizio :D

Video input works fine: DVD video source is ok (PAL colors slighty on magenta) and Reverse Camera video is good!!

Yes, I found PAL wasn't as good as NTSC.

Pictures will be soon on the web site.

Pleased to hear you got it going - I look forward to the pictures of the Bortesi unit and the installation :)

Now (shcm), do you know if the B9004 unit has an audio signal (not amplified) output to send to an external amplifier???

I'm going to upgrade the oem audio system.

I don't know of any "line out" connections. There are about 30 pins which I don't know the function of (if they have any) and I guess the only possible way I may find that out is by taking the head unit apart, but I am not keen to do that at the moment :no:

Cheers :D

• 1 year later...

Ciao,

ho trovato il tuo nome su questo forum e poichè ho da poco acquistato una RAV4 2.2 136Cv con Navigatore B9004 e vorrei montare una interfaccia per un ingresso audio video o anche solo Video , volevo sapere se hai trovato qualcosa , visto che la tua discussione risale al 2007.

Se vuoi puoi scrivere anche alla mia mail dolam@interfree.it.

Grazie dell'aiuto che potrai darmi

Domenico

Does someone know if it's possible to use the full map unit screen (I have a B9004) for watching TV or a DVD movie?

Give a look at this site:

http://www.novosonic.es/interfaces-multime...f61a8&pag=3

Interface's price seems to be very expensive: 550€ !!! :o

Don't you think it could be possible to intercept audio/video signals from the rear ports of the unit without using the (high cost) interface?

Share our informations.

Fabrizio

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links