Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can Anyone Recommend Roof Box For Iq?

Penners

Hi

I'm trying to work out whether my wife and I can use our IQ for a touring holiday of France. The big question is the luggage capacity, and I wondered whether anyone can recommend a roof box (or other means of increasing the luggage capacity), please?

All ideas welcome!

Thanks.

Sorry, but no "hat" for the iQ. :crybaby:

Zero load - nothing on top - no Roof Rack, ....

remove the rar seat row - easy to do - everything is stored in the big luggage compartment :yahoo:

Thanks La-La.

When you say "zero load", do you mean that it's dangerous to put anything on the roof? I've discovered that my old pair of Thule roof bars will j-u-s-t fit the IQ - should I resist the temptation to place anything up there?

Also - any tips on how to remove the rear seats, pleas?

Many thanks for your help.

The EU-certification-papers for the iq are showing 0 kg for load on the top. :!Removed!:

Every registered car in EC needs and has a "Certificate of Conformity for Complete Vehicles".

My car

0.1 MAKE: Toyota

0.2 TYPE: AJ1

0.2.1 COMMERCIAL NAME: Toyota IQ

16. MAXIMUM PERMISSIBLE ROOF LOAD: 0 (zero) kg

17. MAXIMUM MASS OF TRAILER (braked/unbraked): 0/0 kg

19.1 MAXIMUM VERTICAL LOAD AT THE COUPLING POINT FOR A TRAILER: 0 kg

22. WORKING PRINCIPLE: Compression ignition

22.1 DIRECT INJECTION: Yes

25. FUEL: Diesel Oil

47: FISCAL POWER: BEL 8/GRE 10/DEU 0463/ESP 10.59/ITA 15/FRA 5cv/UK 49 DC

For the rear seat row: lift the seat and disconnect the seatbelt signal cable / remove the screws (easy) for the row. Store the seating in your house and put the screws back into the hole. The 2 seater iQ is ready. :yahoo:

That's an enormous help, La-La. Thanks SO much.

I'll take out the back seats tomorrow and see whether the luggage that we want to take to France will all fit.

Then all I'll have to do is persuade my wife not to buy anything while we're over there! Can't say I fancy my chances much... :argue:

La-La

I thought I'd just let you know that I did a trial run on removing the rear seats today. Brilliant! :yahoo:

I reckon that simple operation almost doubles the luggage capacity of the car, which definitely banishes my concerns. Well, until Mrs Penners hits the French shops, anyway. :(

One strange little detail. As you'll know, you have to undo two bolts on each side behind the rear seat backrests, and one bolt each side under the seat squab. Just in front of these single bolts, there are a couple of location dowels that just drop into additional holes - but those holes are fitted with captive nuts, which perform no discernable function.

I wonder whether there is some modified rear configuration planned for the car, which will use those extra threaded holes?

Anyway, huge thanks again for your solution to my problem. Much appreciated.

Yea, Ive seen that 'bagpack'. However I am concern about if the insurance company is happy if we add a bagpack on our IQ as the original design doesn't seems to support any external weight added on the IQ. Another things I've observed is... the bagpack seems to have blocked the sight from the mirror.

It can be easily packed and unpacked BUT I don't think the pack can be folded up and it looks like it is to big put inside the IQ backseat when not in used. Also I am not sure if it is waterproof tho...

The design is alright but not that brilliant in my view :)

You may be right, BarryIQ, and thanks you for your thoughts.

In fact, after La-La's great advice about removing the rear seats, I'm happy that we can get all our luggage inside the car (and I have an excuse to tell Mrs Penners that she can't buy too much!)

Sorry, but no "hat" for the iQ. :crybaby:

Zero load - nothing on top - no roof rack, ....

remove the rar seat row - easy to do - everything is stored in the big luggage compartment :yahoo:

Thule seems to differ. They claim max 50kg for the 2010 iQ and recommend the Rapid system

http://www.thule.co.uk/appguide/yourDetails.asp?car_model=IQ%203dr%20Hatchback%2009-%20&rfoot=750&rbar=769&rABar=869&rkit=rkit&rLock=&rSRA=&tFoot=&tBar=&tKit=blank&tSRA=&tSP=&tLocks=

Thule is a serious manufacturer with good products, and the RAPID system is fine, you can buy/fix it,

BUT no load (the roof load for the iQ - since launch has not changed).

By the way: a rucksack can deform your tailgate.

So for both possibilities – no load, no troubles.

La-La

That's the way I've definitely decided to go. Removal of the rear seats seem to almost double the luggage capacity - certainly plenty for our French trip, thanks to you. So there'll be no roof box and no rucksack.

:thumbsup:

For what it's worth - I phoned a Thule representative in Sweden (to get closer to the source) today - he said the fix kit is specifically made for the iQ. It has been fully road tested on an iQ and certified for loads up to 50kg.

So it looks like an option.

Thule is a part seller, the make efforts for their products.

It is right that the rack is proofed on an iQ and will go up to 50 kg, but TOYOTA says no! (Roof load has a strong influence to ESP..../ Your insurence is off too)

You can buy it, but you are not allowed to use it. :crybaby:

You can buy a gun, but ...

And IF you use it and should get an accident your insurancecompany will have the last laugh :yahoo:

And IF you use it and should get an accident your insurancecompany will have the last laugh :yahoo:

Enquiry to my insurance company:

"Is my car insurance still completely valid if Ifit roofbars and a small roofbox or cycle carrier? Thule make roofbars for theToyota iQ, but I read somewhere that using them might invalidate the insurance."

Their response:

"Thank you for your e-mail. I can advise that if you haveRoofbars, Roofrack or Cycle Rack fitted your policy is still valid, theRoofrack, Roofbars or Cycle Rack will not be covered or replaced."

And you informed them that Toyota says zero load allowed?

Then keep it black on white at your papers and hope for the best.

Just an observation here. In the Toyota quick guide for the IQ they talk about potential fuel consumption figures if you use roof bars with your IQ.

Yes, the quick guide was produced "very quick"!! :P

It tells about roof loading and trailer and other things which are not valid for the iQ. These advises are general "hints" for all cars. The German version has the same :crybaby: "stories" to tell.

A never ending story about loading on the top and the trailer/cycle hook with ZERO for the iQ.

• 7 months later...

Hi

I'm trying to work out whether my wife and I can use our IQ for a touring holiday of France. The big question is the luggage capacity, and I wondered whether anyone can recommend a roof box (or other means of increasing the luggage capacity), please?

All ideas welcome!

Thanks.

I was searching for iQ accessories and came across a rear bike rack. So you could take 2 bikes. It depends on what sort of touring you are going to be doing. If you are going into B & B's or hotel's, you could possibly take enough with. If you are thinking of camping, I think it would be far too small. I also have a double cab Hilux with hardtop and my wife makes me take everything bar the kitchen sink. My back area is larger that the inside of the iQ alone. If you get a small tent like a North Face Tadpole 23 with footprint, self inflating sleeping mats, down sleeping bags (as they pack down small) etc. Try www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk you might just get it in. :yahoo:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links