Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Weird Noise From Rav4 T180

blue monster

Evening all,

Just got back from the Easter break with a trip down to our parents place in Pembrokeshire covering around 500 miles in total - our 1st long trip in the T180 since buying it and it was a very comfortable & enjoyable drive.

On the way down I noticed a weird noise which is still there and I can only describe as similar to a fan belt slipping or even similar to some birds chirping from under the bonnet. It is only doing this at low revs, 1500-2000 rpm and only when the car is under load. I first noticed when doing around 20 mph in 3rd gear whilst starting to climb a hill in town. The noise is only really noticeable when the window is down and definitely sounds like it is coming from the drivers side.

I have visably checked every thing and cannot see any thing obvious that would be causing this noise. There are no warning lights on, no low fluid levels, etc, which leaves me scratching my head.

I have it booked in to my local Mr T tomorrow but was just curious as to whether any one else has experienced this strange noise and if any one has any idea what it might be?

Thanks

Martin

Sounds like pinking. Mine does it quite often usually if I have used cheaper diesel. Like you say birds chirping under the bonnet. i wouldent worry about it. Next time you fill up use BP Ultimate or the equivilent and I bet it stops.

This problem sounds identical to what i had with my T180. This puzzled me as to what it could be. I have a really good dealer near by [steven Eagle] Aylesbury.

Anyway as it was under warranty they came out with me so i could get them to hear this "chirping" noise that occured predominatley in 2nd/3rd gear and under load, there was a steep incline near my dealers so this was perfect to point it out.

So the dealer changed the Serpent belt, the engine mounts, and finally they discovered that there was a small crack to a pipe that is connected to or near the Turbo. They changed that and it sorted it straight away.

To ask a question: do you get a slight knock from the engine bay when you stop the engine as well? I ask this is i did when i got the "chirping" noise.This was sorted when they changed this pipe. I was told it was too close to the chassis rail from the drivers side of the engine, thus resulting in it failing.

Good Luck, let me know how it goes.

Mark.

Only ever use Shell V-Power so that should not be the problem.

Definitely a chirping like sound and at low revs when the turbo is kicking in - will relay this info to my local Mr T tomorrow & let you know how I get on

One assumes that one has checked ones car thoroughly for the possibilities of ones car having more than one bird nesting under ones bonnet ??

Connahs Quay is blessed wi many burds is it no?

They do pink and they do suffer from piston slap. I hope the pipe cures it though :thumbsup:

One assumes that one has checked ones car thoroughly for the possibilities of ones car having more than one bird nesting under ones bonnet ??

Connahs Quay is blessed wi many burds is it no?

Ha ha, no sign of birds and if there is their timing is impressive to chirp right on 1500-2000rpm when the car is under load.

If Mr T finds any this afternoon I want those birds - they have got to be worth some thing on e-bay :D

As for birds in Connah's Quay, there are quite a few ugly ducklings, vulchers and a few bald eagles - then there are the featheed types............

On a serious note, does any one know the exact name or location of the pipe that had been referenced as it may be useful to mention this to Mr T this afternoon?

Update from my visit to Mr T:

They reckon it's the auxiliary belt and tensioners which are worn & is causing the noise.

New parts will be fitted for me next Wednesday, so hopefully that wil sort it.

I will post an update once the work has been completed.

doh!

mine does this, had just assumed it was normal!

cant afford to start chucking loads of money at her at the moment :crybaby:

I will ask how much it should cost when I get mine sorted & let you know

Mine doesnt do it when its cold. I would have thought if it was a belt etc it would do it most the time? Also when I added some Forte diesel additive mine stopped for a month or so. Sure mine is pinking. Be intresting to see if the new parts cure your problem. Let us know matey

The belts often creak on these engines. It doesn't always indicate a fault - they will run quite happily doing it.

Thought I would post a quick update - after as visit to my local Mr T today my bird chirping has gone away.

The auxiliary belt and tensioners were replaced under warranty and hey presto no weird noise any more :thumbsup:

were you able to find out how much this costs?

back in next week to get the chip/power upgrade so willl ask then

• 8 months later...

finally they discovered that there was a small crack to a pipe that is connected to or near the Turbo.

Did anyone find out what this pipe is ? My 56 plate 2.2 turbo was making a "chrip" under load but it's stopped recently (maybe it's worked free) I have noticed im now only getting 37mpg out of a full tank compared to the original 40-42 mpg. I defo think it's turbo related not belts as belts would be constant rather than now and then under acceleration. Any help welcome...!

I had exact same problem in my T180 and as you say it was the aux belt and tensioners. Got it booked in and sorted. Cost £180 for parts alone. Not a cheap fix but worth it in my eyes

Hi

No it did not effect MPG it weas just annoying. that was parts cost only. labour was extra but cant remember what he charged me

Thats the only thing that narks me about Toyota is the cost of spares. I've had and have German cars and their parts are a shed loads cheaper. Im not sure if it's how Toyota justify lower initial car prices by making something back on spares.

Anyway I'll try and find the parts and give it ago thanks.

Mine only did it somtimes too, under load. high pitched chirping sound. I too thought it was summit else but it was the aux belt and tensioners. Belt was £40 tensioners were £140. No chirping since this was done

• 2 years later...

I have just bought an Avensis tr 150 which has the same problem, sounds like a rattle / clattering between 1500 & 2000 revs but dissappear when you are crusing or accelerate past it, would be good to know if you find the problem or if it is just down to cheep diesel like some suggest, don't think its birds lol

Dave

Loose exhaust heat shields are common - results in a clatter against the exhaust at certain rev ranges.

Just had a look and think I have found the problem, like some have said the pipe that goes into the air box from the front of the car was very loose as the foam holding it in had perished away to nothing, the pipe was just flopping and rattttling around as the foam is all that holds it in tight, just replaced the foam and the difference is unbelievable the engine is a hell of a lot quieter, haven't taken it out for a run yet but will let you know when I do and if it had cured it altogether, I think it may have though

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links