Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing The Oil In Your Iq...sort Of...

surfcitylocal

A little DIY on changing the oil in your iQ. Let me point out at the start that I DID NOT read the directions and did the job old school. This is NOT the correct way to do it. I have not seen a canister type oil filter like the one on the iQ. If I had read the directions it would have been much easier and much less of a mess. That being said here is what to do (with corrections added as we go).

First off, be safe. Whether you use a floor jack or car ramps, set your parking brake. I use car ramps.

DSCN1886.jpg

Here is what you'll need...

Four quarts of 0w-20w synthetic oil (that weight is always synthetic)

One oil filter (I use the Toyota brand)

14mm wrench

1/4" drive rachet

64mm oil filter removal tool

Drain pan

Rags or towels

Funnel

DSCN1881.jpg

DSCN1882.jpg

DSCN1883.jpg

DSCN1895.jpg

Here are the directions on the oil filter replacement (READ THEM AND SAVE YOURSELF A BIG MESS)

DSCN1894.jpg

The oil drain plug and oil filter canister located under the motor on the passenger side of the vehicle.

DSCN1887.jpg

DSCN1888.jpg

Use the 14mm wrench to loosen the oil drain plug.

DSCN1889.jpg

Allow the oil to drain from the iQ into a pan.

DSCN1891.jpg

Clean the oil drain plug and threads.

DSCN1897.jpg

Once the oil has stopped dripping you can remove the oil filter canister.

THIS IS WHERE IT WOULD BE EASIER TO FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. There is a small indentation on the end of the oil filter canister that allows you to connect a 1/4" ratchet and remove the small cap. Once this small cap is removed you place the plastic spout, with some force, into the opening and a valve inside opens to allow the oil from the canister to drain out cleanly into the pan. Once the oil has drained from the spout it is removed and you can move on to the next step, removing the oil filter canister.

Connect the 1/4" ratchet to the oil filter canister removal tool and place on the end of the canister.

DSCN1899.jpg

Loosen the canister until you can remove it by hand. If done correctly (using the spout mentioned earlier) the job will not be this messy.

DSCN1902.jpg

Now that you have the canister out, pour out the remaining oil and clean the housing.

DSCN1903.jpg

Your parts from the Toyota oil filter. (notice the white plastic spout that would have made this job so much easier)

DSCN1896.jpg

Remove the used oil filter element.

DSCN1904.jpg

Compared to the new one.

DSCN1905.jpg

There are two O-rings that need to be replaced. Do not reuse the old ones. This view is the small O-ring under the cap that is on the bottom of the canister. (the one that should have been removed while the canister was still on the vehicle)

DSCN1906.jpg

Replace it with the new O-ring and apply motor oil to it to prevent leaks and sticking.

Replace the large O-ring with the new one and apply motor oil to it as well.

DSCN1910.jpg

Now install the new oil filter element.

DSCN1911.jpg

Reassemble the oil filter canister, the cap on the bottom and place it back on the vehicle in reverse order from removal.

Re-install the oil drain plug using the 14mm wrench.

Add 3.7 quarts of motor oil using a funnel. The oil intake is located on the passenger side of the motor.

DSCN1892.jpg

DSCN1915.jpg

The oil capacity information can be found in your iQ owners manual.

DSCN1916.jpg

DSCN1917.jpg

Once the oil has been added, check the dipstick (dip cable in the case of the iQ) and make sure your level is at the full mark.

The dipstick is located mid engine.

DSCN1893.jpg

DSCN1918.jpg

Replace the oil filler cap and start the iQ. Check for oil leaks under the vehicle.

As always dispose of your used oil in an appropriate container and disposal site. I'm lucky in Huntington Beach, they come to the door and pick it up.

DSCN1919.jpg

The owners manual suggests changing the oil at 10,000 mile intervals but I'm a little old school. 5,000 miles is max for me.

I'll post up pictures of the correct way to do it at the next oil change.

• Like 1

One small point......You refer to the oil measurement in quarts

Readers should be aware that in GB we tend to measure our oil capacity in Litres

Good write up though!

That bucket look humongous, Did all that oil come out the little iQ!!!!!!!!!!!

One other question, in the first picture what is holding the bonnet up, Invisible man? :)

Craig.

I also dont think that we in the UK would use 0w20 oil.

Fish

I also dont think that we in the UK would use 0w20 oil.

Fish

0W-20 Fully synthetic is the oil specified by Toyota for the 1.33 litre engine fitted to the IQ and the New VersoS

It is recognised that 0W-20 oil gives easier cold starting and better fuel economy while still providing full engine protection

One small point......You refer to the oil measurement in quarts Readers should be aware that in GB we tend to measure our oil capacity in Litres Good write up though!

Yes you do. I live in the US though so I go with what I know. =)

That bucket look humongous, Did all that oil come out the little iQ!!!!!!!!!!! One other question, in the first picture what is holding the bonnet up, Invisible man? :) Craig.

LOL Craig that is from my Vanagon, Toyota Pickup and Toyota Corolla. It's time to call the city and have them come pick it up. I got a new five gallon bucket today from Home Depot to start filling.

One small point......You refer to the oil measurement in quarts Readers should be aware that in GB we tend to measure our oil capacity in Litres Good write up though!

Yes you do. I live in the US though so I go with what I know. =)

That bucket look humongous, Did all that oil come out the little iQ!!!!!!!!!!! One other question, in the first picture what is holding the bonnet up, Invisible man? :) Craig.

LOL Craig that is from my Vanagon, Toyota Pickup and Toyota Corolla. It's time to call the city and have them come pick it up. I got a new five gallon bucket today from Home Depot to start filling. Oh, the hood (bonnet) stays up on it's own when all the way back and on the car ramps. I don't use the prop very often.

Excellent show... my good man... very very well done.... my deepest respect....

Maybe a subdivision with these kind of repair tips would be a good thing... But anyway it it also search able ..

At some point cars come out of the warranty period and then DIY becomes very attractive... I think.. it is always attractive to DIY... save tons of coins...

I would leave to the proffesionals and keep my 5 year warrantee intact.

I would leave to the proffesionals and keep my 5 year warrantee intact.

Your warranty is not voided by doing an early oil change or by doing it yourself or having another professional do it.

Good write up and nice pictures. Just one thing I have to point out though.

When you check the oil level using the dipstick, make sure the car is on a flat surface and not on ramps, jacked up or otherwise not level. Checking the oil level when the car is not level can lead to erroneous readings and obviously, the greater the incline, the more inaccurate the dipstick will be. Too little oil can cause premature wear and too much can cause big problems so its worth making sure you get it right. Don't forget that when you drain oil from the engine you aren't getting ALL of the oil out which is why its important to always check what you've put in. Aim to fill as close to max level as possible without ever going over.

Good write up and nice pictures. Just one thing I have to point out though. When you check the oil level using the dipstick, make sure the car is on a flat surface and not on ramps, jacked up or otherwise not level. Checking the oil level when the car is not level can lead to erroneous readings and obviously, the greater the incline, the more inaccurate the dipstick will be. Too little oil can cause premature wear and too much can cause big problems so its worth making sure you get it right. Don't forget that when you drain oil from the engine you aren't getting ALL of the oil out which is why its important to always check what you've put in. Aim to fill as close to max level as possible without ever going over.

Excellent advice. Mine is at just the right level, checked it again after the test drive. I was very surprised that it's not a dipstick but a dip-cable. =)

• 5 months later...

Congratulations for the tutorial!!!!

Do you know the tightening torque of the oil drain plug for the torque wrench??

I,m sorry for my english languaje...

Thank you very mutch!

Congratulations for the tutorial!!!!

Do you know the tightening torque of the oil drain plug for the torque wrench??

I,m sorry for my english languaje...

Thank you very mutch!

I've never used a torque wrench on an oil drain plug, just tight enough is how I learned years ago and it's served me well.

• 2 weeks later...

Very good tutorial,

Just to clarify something. The oil quantities you have use are only applied to the 1NR-FE type engine (1,329 cc, four piston) and NOT to the 1KR-FE type 1.0 L (996 cc, 3 piston). Below is a photo of the oil quantities for both engines.

post-124150-0-63710000-1350583871_thumb.

Something else is the viscosity grade, which is determined by the climate conditions. In Cyprus where i live the temperature varies from 2-45 degrees Celsius. So we normally use 10W40 or 10W30.

http://www.machinery...ead/171/oil-can

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links