Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris And Hypermiling

PERIKLIS87

hello to every one in this forum,

i am new in here, just got my auris

it's a 7/2012 model with the facelift 1,33 petrol engine

i started to folow the subject of hypermiling but due to the fact that i am a new driver in auris i would love to hear other peoples experience in the matter.

to begin with i am currently getting 29,4 mpg

i drive by the shift indicator and i change up when i reache 2000rpm i am mainly staing in the 1300-2000 rpm area

at first i found the if i drive at 2000-3000 rpm i am getting less mpg

i am generaly driving at 40mph and the onboard average speed meter is around 16mph city driving

any tips from the veterans?

Hello Periklis - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

I notice your profile says that you're not in the UK - where are you, and what season is it.

How have you measured the 29.4 miles per gallon - is this taken from the multi information display or is it calculated on a 'brim-to-brim' basis (ie filling the fuel tank to the brim).

Is this the UK gallon or the US gallon you're using (the UK gallon is approx 20% larger than the US gallon)?

Do you have the stop/start system on your car?

Have a look at the following website for tips: http://www.hypermiler.co.uk/ and http://www.hypermiler.co.uk/hypermiling/hypermiling-techniques

i am from greece and it's winter ,the measurment i gave is from the multi info display on board but the brim to brim isn't far off(i get a bit lower with the brim to brim method) i used us galons but still i think i am a lot lower than the 40+ other members mentioned... i realy want to improve on that.

the list form the link you gave my .....

• Track your MPG. Keep detailed records of your mileage and fuel usage so you can gauge your hypermiling efforts. Use our MPG calculator or download our apps for both Apple and Android devices.
  • Keep your car well maintained and serviced regularly. Some people opt for a
    thinner oil when trying to optimise their MPG. Thinner oil means less
    energy is required to turn the engine. it's a new car and i have done one service. the car is runing fine.
  • Remove excess weight i.e. golf clubs, tool boxes and prams / push chairs. no extra weight
  • Ensure your tyre pressures are correct. We do not condone over inflating your
    tyres, as this may cause premature wear and possible blow outs. Low tyre
    pressure causes more drag and thus less MPG. tyre presure 31 bar
  • Keep the windows up. An open window cause drag i havent driven it with the windows down yet.
  • Keep the air-con off. Air Conditioning can decrease your fuel consumption by up to 10 percent in some cases. i haven't used the air con yet
  • Take any unused Roof or bike racks off, they too increase drag nothing up there either
  • Don’t drive in big shoes, they take away the sensitivity you need with the
    throttle. The best way to Hypermile is to feel how the car is responding
    to your right foot. Two inches of sole doesn’t help.

Do you have the stop/start system fitted to your Auris?

29.4mpg (US gallons) represents 35.3mpg (UK gallons).

As it is winter in Greece, fuel consumption is adversely affected by the lower temperatures.

In the UK, the one website enables owners to submit their fuel consumption figures to produce more realistic figures than the official EU testing that manufacturers have to use. Have a look at the following for the Auris 1.33: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/auris-and-auris-hsd/133-vvt-i-stopstart

This shows that owners are achieving between 36 and 48.5mpg (using UK gallons) - obviously this depends on the driving environment.

Do you have a lot of stop start driving - ie driving in heavy traffic, and constantly stopping and starting with the traffic flow - this does have a dramatic effect on consumption. Your average speed of 16mph does indicate that you may be experiencing this type of driving.

Ι do drive in urban road 99% of the time but still i would love to improve on my mpg. i don't have the start stop system my engine is the 1nr-fe.

mostly i would like to ask the following 2

1)can the start stop be instaled or i am stuck with what i have?

2) i read on the net that some engeens cut of fuel at a certain rpm and above (some say above 1500 rpm ) does that happen to auris too?

3)at what rpm range should i mainly drive?

(i am not a speedster i drive slow most of the time and don't realy care about acceleration and stuff) what i tend to do is start off with 1st gear and i change almost instantly to 2nd then as soon as i reach the 2000rpm i change to 3rd and then when i reach 2000 rpm i change to 4th if i reache 2000 angain i change ot 5th . from theat you can deduce that i drive around 1300-2000 rpm .

We have the same engine (1NE-FR) combined with a stop/start system in the UK. It wouldn't be economically viable to retro fit the stop/start system.

Measures that you could consider include:

1. ensuring your tyre pressures are correct

2. consider running slightly higher tyre pressures

3. taking out any excess weight in the car - eg stuff normally kept in the boot if you don't need it all the time

4. relying more on using brim-to-brim fuel consumption figures as these tend to be more accurate.

I don't really take much notice of the rpm. I suppose it is a similar range to yourself - possibly not as high as 2000rpm. I change up when it seems right - which is usually slightly before the gear change indicator light. Again I change into a high gear as quickly as possible, depending on the traffic and road conditions.

Any day-to-day driving is in and around the city of Birmingham - so traffic tends to be reasonably heavy.

Before I retired just over two and a half years ago, my daily journey into work was 6 miles each way and took anything from 30 minutes to 1 hour. This was in my 2009 Auris 1.33 - average fuel consumption was around 35-37mpg (UK).

Just to chip in with my experience -

I am in the UK (so using UK gallons).

I have an Auris 1.8 Hybrid.

I am acheiving a rolling MPG (the average according to the dash display that, not just a trip average),

of 49+ This is motorway and town driving.

I have had it up to 51 - aided by slow driving on the M69 Motorway in bad rain...

But a run in rush-hour traffic to London (M40, M25 etc) knocked it down for a while.

I have just come out of a Yaris 1.33 and the average MPG was 44, and I just drive it normally, no hypermiles, just drive it. My journey is 22 miles and about 16 of those are Motorway at 70 to 80 MPH

Kingo :thumbsup:

My route doesn't include any highway ....so all those mpg readings that i read about are due to highway driving? what about us that don't use highway that much?

I dont think my driving counts as hypermiling - when in traffic I certainly dont - hence lower mpg.

On quieter roads I slow down a bit uphill and allow it to speed up down hill.

If on my own I do pulse it sometimes, as it seems to get in to "EV" easier at certain speeds (28, 38, 68 ???) - on fairly flat roads anyway. If I have passengers I tend not to pulse as much, as I worry it is a less comfortable ride for them.

Better MPG is great, but having the accelleration of the Auris Hybrid is also great.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links