Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

El Cheapo Big Bore Tailpipe Mod

Planemo

I couldn't decide what exhaust to go for as I really dont want a loud one so in the interim I played with the stock one! For the price of a Jetex 2.5" bore 90 degree bend (£18), a 2.5" exhaust clamp (£2.00) and universal tailpipe trim (£8) I think it makes quite a nice cheap mod. If you fancy a go, this is how to do it:

Firstly, cut off the stock tailpipe right at the silencer end. It doesn't need to be nice nor accurate on how much you leave sticking out as it will be covered by the new pipe.

Then, cut 3 to 4 inches from the non-flared end of the Jetex pipe. Simply attach it to the outlet of the silencer by using a couple of tack welds. It really doesn't need to be gas tight as theres no real pressure by the time the gas gets to the area. I don't have a welder so I took the silencer off and ran it up to a friend who does.

Simply attach the bend, and adjust the angle accordingly taking into account the tow bracket to the left. Fit the tailpipe and off you go!

The best thing about it is that it allows you to use whatever tailpipe you fancy as most are available with 2.5" inlets plus it gets around the problem of trying to find a tail trim for the awkward-angled stock tailpipe. The only issue with using a bigger trim than mine is that it is likely to hit the tow bracket but to be honest I would be happy to cut it off. How often is it going to be used and besides theres another on the other side of the car anyway.

The trim I used was an 80mm o.d. chrome round which sits nicely in the little cut out area on the stock bumper. I do have a large oval pipe which I might try at some point but I quite like it as it is really - not too in your face.

IMG_20140305_151044_zpse41a8b3d.jpg

IMG_20140305_151127_zps6f143a93.jpg

IMG_20140305_151001_zpsea83fe6f.jpg

Oh I just remembered - I did mine slightly differently - I didn't cut anything off my Jetex pipe as I already had a short length of 2.5" steel pipe sitting around but as you can see from the picture theres plenty of spare Jetex pipe going into the chrome trim - enough to chop some off and use it as the stub for the silencer :)

I have an oblong tailpipe but I needed to adjust it after a few miles because it vibrated against the rear bumper.

A quick tweak and all was well :lol:

My KMS thunderstorm on my last RS focus mk2 :D

Well if this is a willy-waving contest this is the engine bay from my 'last' Supra lol :)

Enginebay24701pic4_zpse3fed5b8.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links