Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Led Dash/heater Lights Fitted

Planemo

I fancied swopping out my dash lights for something a bit different. I originally looked around trying to work out what LED fitments I needed, in what brightness/size etc but gave up when I realised the dash ones were surface mount jobs. I eventually found a kit of parts at ledperf.com and at around £15 delivered for the whole lot, including a fitment CD I thought it was a pretty good deal and worth it for saving the hassle of trying to find out what LED's I needed.

It was a fairly hairy job with a few bum clenching moments. Just getting to the LEDS themselves is a bit of a mission, and the removal of the multi-pin LCD screen from the speedo takes a fair bit of care and patience. I ended up using a combination of the supplied instructions and some pictures I found online by someone who had done a 107. The removal of the speedo and tacho needles on the ledperf instructions wasn't clear at all and I found that copying the 107 owners method of using a household fork slid under the back of the needle was the safest way of doing it, although you still need to be very careful not to mark the dial face. I used a very thin piece of material used for cleaning spectacles.

Thankfully it all went back together without mishap and on trying it in the daytime it looked like everything worked fine. However, when I had to go out at night I nearly had my retinas burnt out by the light coming from the heater unit!

20140422_231938_zpsb8e2e333.jpg

I didn't have time to do anything about it so used the car anyway and decided it was far too harsh and distracting. I could see my face lit up blue in the mirror like some kid at a rave. I thought I would try using the rubber caps that were fitted to the original bulbs to dampen it down a bit but was worried that the caps, being brown in colour, would affect the blue colour from the LED. I decided to give it a go anyway but getting them onto the bigger, square LED's was a bit like trying to fit a prophylactic to a rhino. There was no mention in any instructions I had seen that the sheaths needed to be fitted which is why I left them off in the first place.

Anyhow, with the sheaths fitted it panned out just right. The blue colour was not affected at all and the glare came down just right:

20140423_234009_zps060b7bdc.jpg

In all I'm really happy with the mod although it's far from an easy job and unless you are used to soldering and general dismantling I would probably give it a swerve and throw the job at someone else!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I'm looking to do a similar job to my aygo and just wanted to know if you'd still recommend doing it and that the colour goes well with the car. 

Would you still recommend using that website which you left the link to?

Would also love to see what you've done to your car so far

Not sure what I can say, the mod is still working well. Car is silver. Everything I have done to my car can be found by searching my username :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links