Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Feedback On 2006 2.0D4 Vvti T-Spirit Please

Penfold

Hi,

It has finally come time to replace my '98 2.0GLS. At 128K miles the transmission is finally getting noisy although I'm still getting 40-44mpg on a motorway run. It will be a wrench to part with but I reckon the repair outweighs the value and the fact that it will then blow the clutch, exhaust manifold coupling, hoses etc once disturbed.

I'm going to look at a T-Spirit 5 dr 2.0D4 vvti on Wednesday morning (11th June) and want to know how people feel about the engine in this car. It apparently has 69K on the clock and full service history.

Reason for asking is that we have also have an '01 Corolla 1.6vvti and it drinks oil and will fail emissions test next year yet only has 65K on the clock. It used to be low mileage so missed the Toyota replacement scheme (grrrr)

So - is the 2.0D4 vvti lump going to give me the same issues as the 'rolla or did MrT get his act together on this one?

I guess I should also ask if there is anything other weak points but I'm too paranoid about the engine.

Thanks,

Penfold

I think we have a bit of confusion here the 2.0D4D is a diesel engine and the vvti is petrol which one are you going to see?

I think Barry has described the petrol version - D4 vvti. In the brochures, that is how Toyota marketed the 2l direct injection.

Barry,

As far as I am aware, the 1AZ engine does not suffer oil burning issue of the smaller vvti engines. Big Mo owns a nice black version, but he has not been on for a while. He could share his experience.

Sad you are changing cars and I understand how hard it is to let go of the old car. I decided to keep mine and the transmission repair made a difference. The clutch was changed at the same time. Silence and smoothness.

Good luck.

Konrad

Hi Revband,

It is a petrol version but listed as "D4 vvti " as noted by Konrad.

I have an independent (ex MrT) mechanic who advised listening for timing chain rattle as it could be a sign of oil pressure issues and judging by other forum posts I need to do a hot restart and check the idle speed in case the throttle body is gummed up.

Just checking to see if there are any other potential issues.

Thanks

Barry

Hi Penfold

I have not heard of that model, but I understand that the early vvti models (1.6 - 1.8) had the oil problem but the later ones are OK.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links