Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing All Belts & Water Pump On 2002 Diesel Rav4

parrzee

Hi

Have just changed timing & auxiliary belts. timing belt tensioner pulley on my Mk2 2002 Rav4 Diesel. It was quite an annoying job, mainly because you

have to remove other things to get at the nuts & bolts you need to remove.

The easiest way I found to get access to the cam belt, auxiliary belts, water pump & engine mountings is to remove the front bumper. To access the off side

headlamp. With the h/lamp out off the way you will have a better chance of getting at the nuts & bolts relating to the belt changes & water pump.

The water pump back plate has the power steering pump attached to it, the power fuel pump & engine mounting bracket. This means in order to remove

the two nuts holding the fuel pump on. The nut at the front of the engine is accessible, the nut at the other side is only got at by removing the intercooler

the engine cover & injection pipes from the common rail. This is to access nuts & bolts holding the air intake manifold. The air manifold has to be removed

to access the other nut on the fuel pump. To remove the air manifold you also have to remove the air intake connection & water connection on the

right side of the air manifold in order to access other bolts relating to the air manifold. This is whats annoying having to remove loads of other bits

to get to what you want.

The entire job took me approx. 7 days, weather permiting as I was on ramps outside. I was feeling my way as I not a mechanic, but a 73 year old pensioner.

When the engine fired up after about 20 goes turning it over I was quite surprised at my achievement. Have clocked up 300miles including motorways, without a hitch since the job was finished. I recon I saved quite a bit of money in labour charges.

So anyone taking the above job on, be aware of the taskyou will have to endure. It can be done with a lot of patience! Good Luck

You put me to shame sir! Bravo! :clap:

Excellent I will be doing this same job soon...Sounds a right pain. ...but my water pump is leaking so needs doing.....Did both the pullys come off ok...the crankshaft pully and the fuel pump pully?

Any surprises I should look out for? and what sort of coolant did you use to refill

And yes well done young chap. ...I hope to have mine done in 7 days too....but will probably take me longer...

Well I tackled it today...Ive got it all out but what I nightmare. shok.gif

Half the engine is in bits, The HP injection pump was siezed onto the water pump housing, so I had you use a chisel and lump hammer just to free
it.... While its all apart I noticed that the thermostat housing was leaking so have orderd a new thermostat as there is no way your getting
at it with that injection pump in the way...

My water pump was also weeping at the bearing seal, but still seems to run freely and feels tight. sad.gif

I didnt have to take all the manifold off etc to get to that one bolt........I undid the water pump bolts, then disconnected the 3 fuel lines that go into the HP injection pump, then I undid the 2 HP injecton pump suport bracket bolts.....you can then wiggle the water pump and injection pump together, to the side and gain access to the one bolt yahoo.gif
I also removed the dipstick support bolt and removed the whole HP injection pump, just to gain access to the thermostat housing bolts yes.gif

Tomorrow I will be putting it all back together.

post-141364-0-17577000-1404066138_thumb.
post-141364-0-76534700-1404066156_thumb.

post-141364-0-44708000-1404066176_thumb.

post-141364-0-64658700-1404066195_thumb.
post-141364-0-97141900-1404066357_thumb.

A few pics of the destruction, the pink dusty stuff if from a brillo pad, had no wire wool blush.gif

parrzee could you send me the pics too.I have sent you a email

woow John things look tight compared to the avensis. any advice on the crankshaft pulley bolt.

Well got it all back together. ..all good so far just the fuel filter to do tomorrow and that should be it for the rav...

Well done John,

You did it much faster than me as I had no reason to rush the job. Mine did take a while to fire up, as I had taken all the fuel lines off and there was air in the fuel lines.

Hope you didn,t have a load of nuts & bolts left over. I managed to have 3.

I hope we can inspire other members to have a go at this awkward job and get it right. Its quite a responsible task

to do. If you do get it wrong could mean another engine. If its right you have saved quite a few hundred £s in labour charges.

Hope everything works as it should, as its quite daunting when you first try starting the engine up.

Wish you the best

parrzee

Yep all worked out well no screws left over as I bagged and labeled them all up.

The only screw I could not get back in was one of the cambelt cover bolts...it just would not go in...eventually it went in cross threaded and them snapped. ...no biggy though...

have you got a pic of the bolts you had left over maybe I can help as to where they go while its still fresh in my mind.

Hi John

I know where they came from. One was the power steering bottom bolt, it would,nt start on the thead ,so I used a nut & bolt to hold the power steering pump instead.

The other 2 were from the cam belt plastic cover. Will get these put back when I get round to it.

Thanks for the offer.

Regards Parrzee

Was it the one that that goes through the metal engine mount and screws into the water pump..as mine was a struggle to get in too....went in cross threaded I think as it was tight and the end of the bolt was a bit smashed up....

HI John

Yes that's the one. I tried several time, then used a bolt with a locking nut on it just to make sure it would,nt come loose.

Are you up & running yet

parrzee

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links