Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4-D engine revs jumping during acceleration

Artiom

Hello!

Toyota Avensis 2005, D4-D 2.0L
When suddenly pressing the accelerator - the revs jump to ~2800-3400 and only after that car slowly accelerates. In other words the car speed and acceleration does not correlate with the engine revs. Does not happen if I press the accelerator lightly. At first this was happening only after 3-4 gear, but now happens in 2nd and 5th as well.
What could be the cause?

Other than that - no issues at all, all works perfectly and car is driving well as long as I touch lightly the accelerator pedal.

Please let me know if this was previously discussed - I don't know how to formulate the search correctly as my symptoms don't fit other's issues (like power loss).

Thank you for reading!

Thank you for suggestion, it may indeed be a worn clutch - I noticed that it is much heavier to press than on our second car (Auris).

Do you have any recommendations what and how to check to verify it without going to a garage?

It does sound like the clutch; A quick and dirty test is to, while parked, hold down the foot-brake and slowly engage the clutch in 1st gear; If the clutch is okay it'll stall pretty quickly. If the clutch is gone, you'll be able to practically engage the clutch fully before it stalls (If it doesn't stall at all then not only is your clutch gone but you are probably damaging your flywheel!! :eek:)

• Like 1

Thank you for the answers, I will check the clutch tomorrow morning and report back the results :)

Or attempt to move off in a high gear. It should stall, but if you can let the clutch all the way out its worn. 

Ok, so I finally got some time to check the car.

I started the engine, set into 2nd gear and slowly released the clutch while keeping brake pressed - the engine stalls after at least 2/3 of clutch pedal is released - so I think it is worn indeed and I need to get a new one.

So, I called a few garages to get some quotes and got responses approximately ~850 - 1100 GBP for labor, clutch kit and flywheel (which may not need to be replaced but they strongly advise to do it). Are these realistic prices? What do you think?

I think that's about right for a garage if the flywheel is included as that's quite pricey. I would expect it to be £200-300 less without getting the flywheel done.

Can be done for cheaper; I have a travelling mechanic mate who I get to do stuff like that as his labour rates are lower tho'.

I've never owned a car long enough for the flywheel to require changing, so I'll have to defer to others on here as to whether it's required! I wouldn't expect that it would need changing before 150,000 on most cars tho', unless it was actually damaged.

What's the mileage on you car?

~126 000 - quite high, so most probably it's the time to change the flywheel as well

I was thinking maybe to get another car, but this one is so comfortable that I do not see a big improvement in other cars to justify the price :)

Yeah, I have the same 'problem' with my Yaris Mk1 - I occasionally look around for more modern alternatives but there is nothing out there that I don't consider a step back...

I'm just glad it's so reliable, so I don't have to worry about it getting expensive to keep going as it ages! (Heck, it's not even that used compared to some of the ones in the 'highest milage yaris' thread :lol:)

If you don't mind the cost, there's no harm in changing the flywheel along with the clutch and it'll mean you won't have to do it later - It'll probably last for the rest of the life of your car at this point!

I completely agree - to get another car which would be an improvement over the current one it would require to invest much more than the cost of a new clutch. If my current avensis will last for another year or two after this - it will completely pay off.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update:

The clutch and bearing were replaced yesterday and the car drives fine now. I am not sure if the service replaced the gearbox oil or not - but now it is much more softer. The guy from service advised that he does not see any issues with the flywheel (no "metal dust around or movement between flywheel and crankshaft").

The topic can be closed now as the problem is fully solved and my Avensis is driving like new :)

Locked as requested.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links