Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis - Low/rough Idle Speed *update*

B3rtie

just to partly update on the topic below, mainly because no-one had any ideas about the rough idle issue.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...mp;#entry673216

I removed the throttle pointometer/throttle housing and found that it was full of oily dirt particularly a small hole in the side which looked like a drilling for an air-bypass system (to do with the cold-start system?). I dismantled the components around the throttle housing and cleaned them with alcohol and replaced. Initially it idled quite fast (1500rpm) so I reset the ECU and it now idles very well at 700-800 rpm.

Hi B3rtie

Mine has a rough idle sometimes but settles after couple of blips on accelerator. Is your VVti the same as mine? Do you have any pics of what you done? Also can you tell me what my idle speed should be?

Thanks

Adam

Mine has a rough idle sometimes but settles after couple of blips on accelerator. Is your VVti the same as mine? Do you have any pics of what you done? Also can you tell me what my idle speed should be?

Mine is a 2.0 VVT-I Auto (2002)

Mine did respond sometimes to the throttle blipping but seemed to be low/then high for no reason - maybe better after a run, but not always!

Believe it or not, I dont have a service manual so I dont know what it should be but my car seems to settle at anywhere between 650-700 rpm when warm and about 900-1200 rpm during warm up. In fact the "low" idle speed I had was about 650 rpm but just felt like it would stall and slightly less so in Neutral.

Can take some photos and post up at the weekend, there may be some diferences, is yours a 2003 onwards model Avensis?

R

Yes, so is mine. A late 04 model. Don't know if the engines the same. Most probably is with some sort of minor modifications.

The problems you describe and what I've recently experienced with the Avensis sound much like a similar problem Vx Cav's with the Ecotec engines have. On the Cavs its caused Idle Control Valve gumming up with oil and causing erratic idling and stalling. Sometimes a you slowed down and approached a junction or roundabout. :eek:

Another symptom was a high idling speed on start up, up to 1500 to 2000 revs then settling. The Avensis done this to me yesterday and presumably its the same problem caused by recirculated contaminated air from the sump causing the breather pipes to the air intake gumming up.

How do you reset the ECU's on these?

Your pics would be of benefit.

• 2 weeks later...

B3rtie, I have been reading your suggestion, to clean up the throttle housing, with interest. My Avensis, 2.0 GLS D4 Petrol Auto, develped low rev isues when cold start. Once warmed up the rev was perfect without any vibrations. Took it to a tuning service they cleaned the throttle housing and reset the ECU today. My initial idle was very high but after a run about the rev is now settled around 9K. This seems to be on the high side too. My ideal rev iwas normally between 8-8.5, this was when the car was new. As I got the car back only today, should I drive it around for couple of days before getting the throttle housing re-checked? I would appreciate your feed back on this please. Thanks.

Took mine to garage yesterday under warranty for the Throttle Housing to be cleaned.

Cold start this morning and it revved at around 1600rpm then settled to 750/800 rpm after a few minutes with a smooth tickover. :D Rough idle has now gone. Engine warmed up quickly :D :D

I think 1600rpm cold start idle is a bit high. What about the rest of you with the 2.0 vvti?

Also gear lever felt a bit sticky this morning. Slight clunk from P to R (auto) while cold with revs about 1600rpm. Is this usual?

Oh nearly forgot. How do you reset the ECU?

• 1 year later...
B3rtie, I have been reading your suggestion, to clean up the throttle housing, with interest. My Avensis, 2.0 GLS D4 Petrol Auto, develped low rev isues when cold start. Once warmed up the rev was perfect without any vibrations. Took it to a tuning service they cleaned the throttle housing and reset the ECU today. My initial idle was very high but after a run about the rev is now settled around 9K. This seems to be on the high side too. My ideal rev iwas normally between 8-8.5, this was when the car was new. As I got the car back only today, should I drive it around for couple of days before getting the throttle housing re-checked? I would appreciate your feed back on this please. Thanks.

Hi, Sorry for taking so long to reply! My car seems to 'race' (1600rpm) on initial cold start but slows to around 650-700 when in Drive and about the same as yours in Neutral (850-900). I was and still a little concerned about the idle speed being high on initial start and I will be having it checked at its next service although it seems normal when warm.

There is a throttle position sensor on the throttle body so the ecu should know the throttle position - I would suggest, but do not know for certain, that the throttle may be either open slightly too much at idle (i.e. its stuck slightly open) or there is another reason for the idle speed to be higher than you should expect. What speed does it idle at when in drive?

PS I know I said I would post pics and will do so when bonnet is next up

• 1 year later...

Also would be interested to hear how the ECU is reset.

*Update* 2

I have since spoken to my dealer about this -

1. A 1600rpm idle is 'normal' under cold start conditions

2 The ECU cannot be reset

Hope this helps,

Robert

Also would be interested to hear how the ECU is reset.

*Update* 2

I have since spoken to my dealer about this -

1. A 1600rpm idle is 'normal' under cold start conditions

2 The ECU cannot be reset

Hope this helps,

Robert

The ECU can be reset. Just disconnect your Battery for 15-30 minutes. A dealer that claims otherwise is just after an hours labor for doing it at his shop.

But your dealer is right that 1600 rpm is pretty normal the first couple of minutes.

• 2 years later...

I'm also having "rough" idling issues but I shall try the ECU trick! thanks! Adam

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links