Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water Leak In The Boot - Help!

JLUC06

Hello

I have just discovered while accessing to my spare wheel that the whole compartment was wet and dripping.

The strange thing is that the carpet inside the boot is dry .

I guess that the water is going from the 2 gutters that end up below the rear stop lamps .

Is there maybe a kind of drain or plastic tube somewhere supposed to guide water ouside ? maybe it is clogged ?

Or maybe you have other clues ??

This is for Avensis 2 year 2003

Thanks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have 2004 Avensis T spirit hatch, recently discovered water in both side panels each side of the spare wheel well between inner and outer wing if you know what I mean. This was on occasions 3-4 inches deep however easy to drain by removing rubber bung in base. After much head scratching etc discoverd water entering via both rear light clusters, the retaining bolts holding the light clusters in place were very loose hence the clusters were not sealing against the rubber seal to the bodywork. Took both clusters off cleaned and dried both rubber seals replaced both clusters making sure nuts all done up tight etc. So far this seems to have cured the problem as i have been out in all this rain today an we are now dry as a bone. Could it be that your problem might stem from these side panels, if there was enough water in them, water would transfer into the spare wheel well.

Hope this might be of some help mate, let me know how you get on.

I've just discovered exactly the same problem in my 2001 Avensis. I'm gonna give your light cluster suggestions a bash.

Thanks very much.

//mucker

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem with my Avensis 55 Reg. The dealer has tried twice but with no success. They even replaced the rear light cluster last time but the problem returned as soon as it rained. They are trying again next week

Hi,

I also noticed that the spare wheel compartment was wet when I checked it after buying the car about a month ago, but the boot is dry?? I put the carpet back and tried to forget it?? Is this likely to cause damage over time, should I be worried and attempting to rectify this, if so how? Or can I just put my head in the sand and carry on driving?

Thank You!

:D Ben N 74 :D

see my earlier posts concerning leaking boot....

Hi,

I also noticed that the spare wheel compartment was wet when I checked it after buying the car about a month ago, but the boot is dry?? I put the carpet back and tried to forget it?? Is this likely to cause damage over time, should I be worried and attempting to rectify this, if so how? Or can I just put my head in the sand and carry on driving?

Thank You!

You may end up with corrosion if you do nothing about it. I used to have a Volvo 440 with water in the spare wheel compartment. It had been rusting for quite a while so I had to weld a new spare wheel compartment in my car. There was nothing left of the original one...

I would prefer to fix the problem if I were you. ;)

Right, OK, I'd better look into it, I'll lift up my carpet 2mora and check if it's still wet, how wet if so and if I can see where it's coming from,

Does anybody have any advice or ideas?

Where is the water likely to be coming from?

What can I do to remedy the situation?

Please note that I am not a mechanic, I can change my headlight bulbs (which I thought was quite a !Removed! feat on this car) and I am able to follow simple instructions, but if it requires the rear manifold bracket to be removed and the hydro sprocket component to be adusted I'm screwed!! lol!

Do you think this is a job I will be able to tackle or should I go see Mr T or another mechanic? How hard will it hit my wallet if I do??

Thanks in advance for advice and assistance.

Can I also just say that since purchasing my 1st car (Mk 1 Avensis GS VVTi) in December and then my 2nd (Mk 2 Avensis D4D T Spirit) in January (a learner wrote my 1st one off) I have found this site and it's members to be an invaluable source of advice and instruction for problems/queries with my vehicle. Thank You to all who have offered advice and opinions! This site is a credit to all it's members, I ave found it to be very friendly and welcoming!

Right, back to the topic, can anyone offer me some pointers before my boot rusts and falls off at the traffic lights??

• 4 weeks later...
Hello

I have just discovered while accessing to my spare wheel that the whole compartment was wet and dripping.

I guess that the water is going from the 2 gutters that end up below the rear stop lamps .

Is there maybe a kind of drain or plastic tube somewhere supposed to guide water ouside ? maybe it is clogged ?

Thanks

Hello

Thanks

]Hi,

I logged on in early March 2008 looking for advice, after finding the spare wheel compartment and the spaces between both inner and outer wings brim full of water. The boot carpet was not wet on the top side so it was fortunate I needed new front tyres and checked the spare. After much thought, frustration and systemmatically sealing ever possible point of ingression with silicone, I found sealing the mounting point for the hatch struts cured one side and eventually traced the other leak to the roof. The recessed joints where the roof panel is joined to the rest of the car(covered but not sealed by thin plastic trim) had failed allowing water to pulse through the joint. No crack could be seen but liberal use of silicon under the strip has cured the leak. Take care lifting the trim strip. It felt brittle and liable to snap on my 6 year old car. Cheers colinr2

Hello

Thanks

hello

thanks for alert -- i will check with mine tomorrow - -i do not like to weld in new spare tyre compartment :D

:thumbsup:

cheers/igor

Right, OK, I'd better look into it, I'll lift up my carpet 2mora and check if it's still wet, how wet if so and if I can see where it's coming from,

Does anybody have any advice or ideas?

Where is the water likely to be coming from?

What can I do to remedy the situation?

Please note that I am not a mechanic, I can change my headlight bulbs (which I thought was quite a !Removed! feat on this car) and I am able to follow simple instructions, but if it requires the rear manifold bracket to be removed and the hydro sprocket component to be adusted I'm screwed!! lol!

Do you think this is a job I will be able to tackle or should I go see Mr T or another mechanic? How hard will it hit my wallet if I do??

Thanks in advance for advice and assistance.

Can I also just say that since purchasing my 1st car (Mk 1 Avensis GS VVTi) in December and then my 2nd (Mk 2 Avensis D4D T Spirit) in January (a learner wrote my 1st one off) I have found this site and it's members to be an invaluable source of advice and instruction for problems/queries with my vehicle. Thank You to all who have offered advice and opinions! This site is a credit to all it's members, I ave found it to be very friendly and welcoming!

Right, back to the topic, can anyone offer me some pointers before my boot rusts and falls off at the traffic lights??

Hi,

I logged on in early March 2008 looking for advice, after finding the spare wheel compartment and the spaces between both inner and outer wings brim full of water.

The boot carpet was not wet on the top side so it was fortunate I needed new front tyres and checked the spare.

After much thought, frustration and systemmatically sealing ever possible point of ingression with silicone, I found sealing the mounting point for the hatch struts cured one side and eventually traced the main leak to the roof.

The recessed joints where the roof panel is joined to the rest of the car(covered but not sealed by thin plastic trim) had failed allowing water to pulse through the joint. The water must have worked it's way into the rear of the car between the panels and filled up the space between the inner and outer wings then overflowed into the wheel well.

There was no sign of a leak inside the passenger compartment which initially was misleading. No crack could be seen in the roof joint but liberal use of silicon under the strip has cured the leak.

Take care lifting the trim strip. It felt brittle and liable to snap on my 6 year old car.

Cheers colinr2

Hello

Thanks

hello

thanks for alert -- i will check with mine tomorrow - -i do not like to weld in new spare tyre compartment :D

:thumbsup:

cheers/igor

hi

this evening I checked with spare tyre compartment and found it is dry.

thanks for alert , in anyway.

cheers/igor

• 2 months later...

Good that I found this topic (and sorry to dig it up), I'm buying an 05 plate Avensis on Saturday, when checking over the car I found that in one of the wells just above the wheel there was about an inch of water, the other side was completely dry.

So it sounds like there could either be a leak through the light cluster or from the run offs on the roof? The dealer said "we'll look at it", but I'd rather be able to check the source of the problem when I pick up the car to see if it has been fixed.

• 3 months later...

I have seen all the reports on people getting water in the boot of an avensis but none about the drivers side rear footwell, which is the problem that I have with a 2001 D4D. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so have they any ideas on where it might be getting please.

I have seen all the reports on people getting water in the boot of an avensis but none about the drivers side rear footwell, which is the problem that I have with a 2001 D4D. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so have they any ideas on where it might be getting please.

A quick guess, presuming it's a hatch, rear door seal or rear quarterlight seal. Or possibly from between the door inner trim and the door itself if the membrane has been torn behind it. (usually when someones been in to fix window regulator etc.) Get tucked in there with a good torch while someone outside sprays it liberally with a hosepipe.

• 2 years later...

I had this problem with my 2000 estate and found a simple solution that I thought I'd pass on... Get some Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure, it is used on boats so get it from a chandlery. It's a water-like solution for sealing hairline cracks which dries virtually clear. Start, on a dry day, by applying a dozen or so drops about 6 inches forward of the rear rack supports either side of the black plastic strips. Leave it for an hour or so then do some more. It will find its way to the end and dribble down the tailgate so be ready to wipe that off. Keep it in the car and repeat the application until you find the wells to each side of the spare wheel are dry even after a downpour just like mine are :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links