Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Racechip Vs. T180 Tuning Kit From Lindop Bros.

downtime

I wanted to write a little comparison between these two tuning chips. The German made Racechip and Lindop Brothers' T180 tuning kit.

As some of you might know that I had a quite frustrating experience with the Racechip from which I wrote to the other thread.

My car is the new 09 Avensis with 2.0 liter D4D Diesel engine. As this engine uses these new Piezo injectors the old style tuning boxes wouldn't work here anymore.

Racechip claims that their chip is compatible with the new Avensis and altough the kit included a correct wiring harness, it still wouldn't work properly. Sometimes it just wouldn't allow the car to start. It didn't inject enough fuel.

Other thing I was worried about with the Racechip is the DPF life. Racechip claims that their chip is compatible with DPF but they don't explain how.

The Racechip only controls the amount of fuel that's been injected to the combustion. Yes, there's always some extra air but as the Racechip is adjustable, you could easily over adjust it so that not all the extra fuel gets burnt. This causes the DPF to soot over time and probably break down at some point.

Anyway, I got so frustrated with that kit that I decided to try the Lindop Bros kit which Parts-King has been advertising here.

Ok so here goes.

The looks :

The Racechip is a small box with a connector and wiring harness. The T180 kit is big flat box with a wiring harness. The most distinctive feature here is that the T180 kit ooozes Q-U-A-L-I-T-Y. The connectors are splash proof in T180 kit as in the Racechip kit a normal PC D-connector is used in the box side connection. These D-connectors are not very good in moist conditions, there's no splash or dirt protection of any kind.

The installation :

Both are quite easy to install. I put the actual tuning box on top of the Battery to where it fit just nicely.

Only problem in the T180 kit was that first I couldn't find the Boost pressure sensor connector. It was in a different place than on the older engine (If I got the correct connector, that's under investigation but it seems so as the chip works like it should). So instead of taking 10 minutes to fit, it took something like 20.

Racechip is only connected to the common rail pressure sensor.

And there's the biggest difference. The Racechip only controls the amount of fuel injected to the combustion but the T180 kit also adjusts the amount of air injected. So basically this works exactly the same as a proper remap and there shouldn't be any problems with DPF either as all the fuel is been burned.

The features :

Racechip is adjustable the T180 is not. In my opinion this is not bad as I didn't want any adjustments on the chip. I just wanted a chip that's plug&play and go.

For more tuning oriented persons the T180 kit might not be the right choice. But for them the Racechip is not the right choice either. Go for V-Tech or Steinbauer or something on those lines.

But for the persons like me, who just want extra power and torque without the need to wonder if there's some room for more, then this T180 kit is just perfect.

How does it feel:

Ok, let's first start with the Racechip.

With that chip connected I just wasn't sure in any point that if I had any extra power on the car. It just didn't feel like it.

Also the Racechip caused the limp home mode more than once and it had great difficulties allowing the car to start from time to time. You can imagine how embarassing it was when you were on public parking lot in a 6 month old car and it wouldn't start. Priceless :)

But this T180 kit. This is a whole different story. Ok, first the car has started everytime with this chip connected. Not once has it even tried not to :)

So how does it feel. Well, to put it short, this thing REALLY works. It increases the power mostly on the midrange, so from around 1700rpm to 2500 rpm it really flies. It has increased the power and torque a little on the low revs and high revs but most are in the middle.

I haven't clocked 0 – 100km/h times yet, but I can say with a butt dyno that it goes way under 10secs.

Also the power delivery is so smooth that you really have to pay attention to the speedo unless you want to get a ticket.

I've had this chip connected for the past 100 km's and it really has transformed the car to something that it should've been from the beginning.

And the best part is that this chip is not even very expensive. It's less than a remap but a little more than something sold on eBay (which has a greater risk of not ever working or destroying something in your car).

Support :

Shortly Parts-King has been excellent. He has answered my (stupid) questions promptly and in every way he seems like a very nice guy. It's really been a pleasure doing business with him, and I can say for sure that if in the future I need some Toyota parts or another tuning kit, he's the one I'm turning to.

For the Racechip, I just can say that their support is almost nonexistent and that little that there is, sucks big time.

I RMA'd my chip to them and guess what. They claim that the package never got to them. Yeah sure. I know I've been a difficult customer to them, but lying like that is not good.

Also they never even tried to help me with my problems. Just gave some generic answers. Oh, and it took like a week to answer a simple question.

So the winner is, tadaaaa... The T180 kit from Lindop. That in every way fills my needs for tuning the car and best of all it works like promised.

The Racechip can suck ..... for all that I care.

WOW! :blush:

Thanks for the testimonial downtime, we are getting some good feedback from the T180 kits, the power/torque they produce is fantastic

For the record, dowtime has a new Avensis with the Piezo injectors, and it is the same kit as the T180 models

Kingo :thumbsup:

How would chiptuning effect the varanty of a new car?

How would chiptuning effect the varanty of a new car?

Most likely invalidates it :) I'm going to take the chip off when taking the car in for maintenance.

Do you have the 126 hp engine? Can you measure the 80-120 km/t time in fourth with and without the chip? I will buy the same chip from Lindop Toyota, i have the 177 hp model.

Will post my measurement as soon as i get my tuning box, but have to wait a while, my engine only done about 1100 km. Now it is using 5,7 sec 80-120 in fourth.

Do you have the 126 hp engine? Can you measure the 80-120 km/t time in fourth with and without the chip? I will buy the same chip from Lindop Toyota, i have the 177 hp model.

Will post my measurement as soon as i get my tuning box, but have to wait a while, my engine only done about 1100 km. Now it is using 5,7 sec 80-120 in fourth.

Yes I have the 126hp engine. I'll see if I can do the measurement. If I'll do it I'll do it only with the chip attached. The official 80 - 120km/h figures can be found from the web.

I think your car will be transformed into a beast after the chip is attached. The 126hp engine feels fast enough with the chip now so I can only imagine what the 177hp will feel like afterwards.

Yes I have the 126hp engine. I'll see if I can do the measurement. If I'll do it I'll do it only with the chip attached. The official 80 - 120km/h figures can be found from the web.

I think your car will be transformed into a beast after the chip is attached. The 126hp engine feels fast enough with the chip now so I can only imagine what the 177hp will feel like afterwards.

Congratulations on your report, i was impressed with the detail and content. :thumbsup:

Pete.

Do you have the 126 hp engine? Can you measure the 80-120 km/t time in fourth with and without the chip?

I did the measurement yesterday. Rolling from 80 - 120 km/h in fourth gear took around 7 seconds. I did the timing myself so I couldn't get that accurate results. I have Tempes on my mobile so I'll do the measurement with that also on some point.

Anyway, the 7 second figure is about 2,5 seconds faster than without the chip. The normal time is, if I remember correctly, 9,7 seconds.

I did a longer trip with the car this weekend and I have to say that I love what the chip has done to the car. It's MUCH smoother than before. Overtaking is easier due to better acceleration.

And somehow the engine seems quieter. You don't hear the normal diesel rattling when accelerating anymore. Now there's a lower kinda growling sound instead.

Stock D-CAT T25 does 7,4 second from 80-120km/h in fourth. With V-Tech box it does 5,3 seconds. Dry weigt 1565kg (facelift wagon).

Stock D-CAT T25 does 7,4 second from 80-120km/h in fourth. With V-Tech box it does 5,3 seconds. Dry weigt 1565kg (facelift wagon).

Stock D-CAT as in 177 hp or 150 hp?

I think Hati has the 177hp version. There was no other D-CAT version in T25 product line.

I think Hati has the 177hp version. There was no other D-CAT version in T25 product line.

Here in Norway we have the 150 hp version also in the T25, but not sure it's called D-CAT. Same engine tho.

Mine is the T27, but it seem a lot faster than Hati's. Not even breaked in properly, only 1100 km...

Here in Norway we have the 150 hp version also in the T25, but not sure it's called D-CAT. Same engine tho.

Mine is the T27, but it seem a lot faster than Hati's. Not even breaked in properly, only 1100 km...

In Finland we also had the 150hp version but that wasn't equipped with the D-CAT system. Only 177hp was.

In T27 the 150 hp automatic is D-Cat and 177hp is D-CAT.

The new 177hp engine is a bit different than the previous. It has lower emissions and lower average consumption and it's also a bit faster. The hp and torque is the same though.

My D-CAT feels fast, but isn't. It doesn't like high revs, have to change gear at 3800 rpm's, beyond that is just silly. But as I said before, hope this will be better when its finish breaking-in, and also with a chip.

My D-CAT feels fast, but isn't. It doesn't like high revs, have to change gear at 3800 rpm's, beyond that is just silly. But as I said before, hope this will be better when its finish breaking-in, and also with a chip.

Diesels have torque at much lower revs than petrol, even when run in, you wont feel an improvement past 3800 RPM. Chipping it will produce more torque in the lower rev band range, not past 3800 RPM

Diesels have torque at much lower revs than petrol, even when run in, you wont feel an improvement past 3800 RPM. Chipping it will produce more torque in the lower rev band range, not past 3800 RPM

I used to have a Mondeo 2004 TDCI, and a chip on that one made a big improvment on revs.

Did try a Alfa 159 JTD 150 hp and it was very willing to rev past 4000, big difference from mine. Too bad Toyotas doesn't rev so well.

If is, as supposed has more horsepower with the chip it means one or both of two things: more torque at higher revs or more revs. And personally i can't see the point in more revs, without more torque to support them.

At least after i got the box, max ph output went up like 600rpm's and the range of torgue is much wider. I have pulling revs untill 4500rpm at the moment.

At least after i got the box, max ph output went up like 600rpm's and the range of torgue is much wider. I have pulling revs untill 4500rpm at the moment.

Nice! That was something that i hoped for. Mine is weak beyond 3800.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Old topic, but here is some comparison between boxes.

First is stock line.

Second is with steinbauer.

Third is with Lindop box + steinbauer.

And here is the graph: post-16673-128540137166_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links