Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Confusion

AnthonyMarrian

I’ve just taken delivery of a Corolla Excel, and am at that stage where I really wish I hadn’t bought the poxy car. It’s uncomfortable, presumably because of its over-sized 18” wheels, and I can’t turn the beeping off. If I go to RSA / notifications, I can select the visual only notification, but that only lasts for the duration of the journey. When you restart the car, you are back to beeping. In my previous car (Prius PHEV), you could adjust the volume for notifications, and set them to zero, and the setting was retained between journeys. With the Corolla, I can’t immediately see how to do that. If there was a way, that would solve the beeping. 

Also, is it really necessary to have to accept Toyota’s terms and conditions *every* time you turn the engine on?

Advice would be very welcome, please.

TVM. 

the nag screen closes on its own, rsa and volume can be changed by the dealer, large wheels and skinny tires is a modern car thing to make them feel more "sporty" it may take you a while to bed the seats and mess about with the seat to get it right

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate it. The first nag screen (Caution / Continue) does close on its own, but the Terms of Use and Privacy Notice screen doesn’t seem to (at least not within 5 mins). 

Good to know that the dealer can deal with the notification issue, although why that should be necessary is anyone’s guess. 

11 minutes ago, AnthonyMarrian said:

Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate it. The first nag screen (Caution / Continue) does close on its own, but the Terms of Use and Privacy Notice screen doesn’t seem to (at least not within 5 mins). 

Good to know that the dealer can deal with the notification issue, although why that should be necessary is anyone’s guess. 

Have you connected your 'My Toyota' account to the car. I don't get any nag screens after the intitial warning that goes away after about 5 secs

Yes, everything connected. Strange. 

4 minutes ago, AnthonyMarrian said:

Yes, everything connected. Strange. 

presume you have accepted them and scrolled down to read all if necessary?

I do accept them every time. You can’t scroll down: there is just a QR code as a link to the text. 

57 minutes ago, AnthonyMarrian said:

I’ve just taken delivery of a Corolla Excel, and am at that stage where I really wish I hadn’t bought the poxy car. It’s uncomfortable, presumably because of its over-sized 18” wheels, and I can’t turn the beeping off. If I go to RSA / notifications, I can select the visual only notification, but that only lasts for the duration of the journey. When you restart the car, you are back to beeping. In my previous car (Prius PHEV), you could adjust the volume for notifications, and set them to zero, and the setting was retained between journeys. With the Corolla, I can’t immediately see how to do that. If there was a way, that would solve the beeping. 

It appears that the situation with the TSS warnings, which reset to default settings every time you start the hybrid system, affects all MY24 cars.   I have a new Corolla Icon spec, it's exactly the same.

There is a quite detailed thread on the Rav 4 forum ('How to permanently disable excess speed notification') which you might find worth reading;   but the short answer is:  you can't. 

This appears to be the way Toyota has chosen to adopt some new EU Regs, adopted by the UK, which have now come into effect. 

There doesn't seem to be any way to permanently silence or turn off the overspeed beeps (which wouldn't be so bad if the speed displayed was always accurate, but it isn't).   You can, of course, go into the Settings menu and either turn off RSA altogether or turn the warnings off or to visual only.

As you have to do this every time you start up, I have set up the meter screen with the Settings menu permanently displayed in the central area of the screen.   It is then only a few button presses to make the changes.   I also usually turn off LDA because I don't like it (this also defaults to 'on' every time you start up).

I am new to Toyotas but I have not seen anyone say that they have been able to get the default settings changed by a dealer.   Personally, I doubt that a dealer would be able to change how this works since it appears to be regulation based.   If you are able to get a dealer to change the default settings, please post, you will be very popular!

• Like 2

That’s amazingly informative. Thank you. 

As a PS to above, I find my Icon spec car very comfortable but it has 16" wheels with 55 profile tyres (being of a certain age, and comfort being more important to me than appearance, this is one of the reasons why I bought the base spec);   but you probably don't want to know that...🤣

1 hour ago, AnthonyMarrian said:

is it really necessary to have to accept Toyota’s terms and conditions *every* time you turn the engine on?

I'm afraid the only way around this is to download the MyToyota app and link the app to your car. This does give you some additional features, as detailed in this thread.

This should have all been explained by the dealer during the handover, but it seems incredibly hit and miss if this happens.

• Like 1

Have you checked the tyre pressures? Some dealers don't unfortunately as part of their handover checks - I've had pressures all over the place on cars supplied before. They might be too high which is making it feel worse.

The beeps have to be turned off every trip unfortunately on new 24+ cars but you can leave the settings icon on the dash so it's quicker to open and turn them off.

For the terms and conditions screen, if you go into user settings you can link the log in to the car key. Once done, the car will recognise the key and bypass the t&c screen when logged in.

FYI you can only do this if you have one key in the car, and the spare is out of range - I got caught out with this, as I couldn't get it to work. Turned out it was because I'd just bought the car and had both keys with me. Putting the spare into a Faraday pouch meant I could get it to work.

The apps are fiddly, I have two installed - the old MyT that's supposed to be discontinued (but the car wanted me to download from the QR code)plus the new MyToyota app too, that's supposed to be replacing it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AnthonyMarrian said:

Also, is it really necessary to have to accept Toyota’s terms and conditions *every* time you turn the engine on?

Advice would be very welcome, please.

TVM. 

To be honest this is putting me off buying another new Corolla (or any new car). I'll probably just keep my MY21 car.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, sportse said:

Have you checked the tyre pressures? Some dealers don't unfortunately as part of their handover checks - I've had pressures all over the place on cars supplied before. They might be too high which is making it feel worse.

That is a very good point.   I have learned - the hard way - that it seems to be common practice for dealers to over-inflate the tyres of cars on display in the showroom.   I don't know why, maybe for appearance. 

If the OP's car had ever been in the showroom, and the techs had failed to correct the pressures, this might explain the uncomfortable ride (if it isn't just the low profile tyres).

It's actually for storage, to reduce the tyres flat-spotting themselves from being sat in a holding area for ages.

The dealer is supposed to drop them back to the recommended pressures as part of the PDI when it arrives, but it seems most of them have stopped bothering to do this as it seems almost everybody on here has had their new car handed over with the tyres still at storage pressure.

Mine were over 4 bar - 60psi! :eek: 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It's actually for storage, to reduce the tyres flat-spotting themselves from being sat in a holding area for ages.

The dealer is supposed to drop them back to the recommended pressures as part of the PDI when it arrives, but it seems most of them have stopped bothering to do this as it seems almost everybody on here has had their new car handed over with the tyres still at storage pressure.

Mine were over 4 bar - 60psi! :eek: 

Thanks.  I only knew about it being for showroom cars, since that's where my car (Octavia) had been.

Mine were about 50psi.   The ride was so hard that the first thing I did on getting home was look at the suspension to see if they had forgotten to remove the transport blocks.   Then the tyre pressures...

So it's one of the first things I check now.   To be fair, the pressures on my Corolla were spot on.

I suppose that does beg the question as to whether grossly over-inflated tyres would ping a TPMS warning?  I don't know but I suspect not.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bozz said:

To be honest this is putting me off buying another new Corolla (or any new car). I'll probably just keep my MY21 car.

Agreed, I don’t have a smart phone! I’m not interested in buying one. My mobile must be 20 years old and is PAYG, and not used much. 
On my 2019 car, the over speed warning is set to visual only because it reads the signs wrongly a lot of the time. It’s not the cars fault but the signage! Go past a school and there’s a 20 sign BUT no sign at the end of the “recommend” limit so for the rest of the town driving the car thinks it’s in a 20 zone. 👹

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bozz said:

Agreed. I'm just hoping that by the time Toyota start selling a sold-state BEV alternative to my Corolla they have heard the complaints and provided a way to turn this crap off.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dylanfan said:

Go past a school and there’s a 20 sign BUT no sign at the end of the “recommend” limit so for the rest of the town driving the car thinks it’s in a 20 zone. 👹

Hmm, it shouldn't do that. Speed limits lapse after about 200 yards so when you've driven that distance without another sign the car should revert to whatever the normal limit is on that road. My '19 Corolla does that so it sounds like a backward step for the newer models.

Unfortunately from reading about the legislation it looks like this technology is here to stay. If it was accurate it would rarely bother me but in my '19 Corolla at least it just isn't.

15 hours ago, SDR said:

It appears that the situation with the TSS warnings, which reset to default settings every time you start the hybrid system, affects all MY24 cars.   I have a new Corolla Icon spec, it's exactly the same.

There is a quite detailed thread on the Rav 4 forum ('How to permanently disable excess speed notification') which you might find worth reading;   but the short answer is:  you can't. 

This appears to be the way Toyota has chosen to adopt some new EU Regs, adopted by the UK, which have now come into effect. 

I live in EU and took delivery of MY24 corolla and it does not beep at all. I didnt even mess with the settings

15 hours ago, SDR said:

suppose that does beg the question as to whether grossly over-inflated tyres would ping a TPMS warning?  I don't know but I suspect not.

They don't.  I had two blowouts which both gave an Orange 134psi for the flats.   When the spare was fitted no pressure was shown for the other tyres.  Once the new tyres were fitted there was no warning but the new tyres gave large over pressure readings. 

However when the car was new all tyres showed high over pressure.  When I reset the pressures all tyres gave low pressure warning.   Resetting was a PITA.  Next time I shall play dumb, hand the car back and have another cup of free coffee while they fix it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, miks said:

I live in EU and took delivery of MY24 corolla and it does not beep at all. I didnt even mess with the settings

Nor mine, which I picked up in mid-January. Build date for mine was 21 December 2023 though; it looks like the changeover to the default audible warning took place in January.

4 hours ago, miks said:

I have no idea why that should be since the new legislation appears to be for EU, and accepted by UK.   All I can say is (a) you're lucky, and (b) I'm jealous 🤢

Maybe Toyota has gone further than the legislation actually requires for UK cars, I don't know.   Out of curiousity, where was your car made?   All UK model Corollas are made in the UK (I think that the saloon models were possibly imported from Turkey but they are no longer on sale in the UK).   I don't know whether Toyota's UK factory produces cars for EU or other non-UK markets.

Regarding the beepings, can you please check the following on yours? See photo:
Highlighted setting set to low on my yaris and I can't hear the speeding beeps

(New speed limit signs still unaffected, but at least it's reduced the beeps for me)

PXL_20240510_202803915.jpg.74dde56b7a3cf3bf65e3e491c37959ec.jpg

16 minutes ago, coreye9090 said:

Regarding the beepings, can you please check the following on yours? See photo:
Highlighted setting set to low on my yaris and I can't hear the speeding beeps

PXL_20240510_202803915.jpg.74dde56b7a3cf3bf65e3e491c37959ec.jpg

You may just be a genius if you have found a way of sorting this!   I would happily leave the RSA alone if I could have just visual warnings.

It's now a while since I did all the initial setting up on my car and I don't remember this screen.   That may be my memory or because the layout is different on a Corolla - but there must be something similar.   I will have a look when I next use the car.

A couple of questions, though.   You have 'system beeps' set to 'off'.   Could it be that, rather than the 'speed sensitive volume' set to 'low', that is muting the beeps?

And do your settings stop all beeps including, for example, from the parking sensors?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links