Steve84

Advanced Club Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Avensis 2.2 T180

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:59 PM

Hi all, My avensis has just covered 37,200 miles, and on sunday i noticed i was leaving large clouds of smoke behind me.I've owned the car for just over 2 years and put 36k on the car in that time. Anyhow the car has been smoke free till this morning when i left some poor bloke on a bike coved in a thick cloud of smoke. After about 750 yards or so it stopped.The car drives as normal no loss of oil, i have noticed i'm topping up the coolent every 4-6 months or 6,000 miles or so but only by half a pint, i'm topping up with geniune toyota pink coolent, the car has used coolent ever since i had it in december 2007, and the dealership cannot see any external leaks. I know it sounds like it could be head gasket but i've no other signs, performance is fine, heater works fine, no oil water mixing.

So to summerise

I'm leaving clouds of smoke, not all time not everyday. Smoke is white(ish) grey (ish)

I'd say its not the d-cat system working cos i'd of noticed this before now.

It drives A1

Fully serviced by toyota, the car is looked after i like things perfect and dont like her the car that is to be poorly

The car is booked in at a toyota dealership end of the month, talking on the phone they said they could not say for certain but it could be the start of head gasket, maybe 5th injector problem or EGR valve. They even think the amount of smoke is excessive.

Any ideas, Thanks in advance

Steve

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 t-spiritpete

t-spiritpete

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts
  • Toyota Model: Avensis 2.2 d4d t-spirit and Yaris 1.3SR Nav

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:18 PM

Hi all, My avensis has just covered 37,200 miles, and on sunday i noticed i was leaving large clouds of smoke behind me.I've owned the car for just over 2 years and put 36k on the car in that time. Anyhow the car has been smoke free till this morning when i left some poor bloke on a bike coved in a thick cloud of smoke. After about 750 yards or so it stopped.The car drives as normal no loss of oil, i have noticed i'm topping up the coolent every 4-6 months or 6,000 miles or so but only by half a pint, i'm topping up with geniune toyota pink coolent, the car has used coolent ever since i had it in december 2007, and the dealership cannot see any external leaks. I know it sounds like it could be head gasket but i've no other signs, performance is fine, heater works fine, no oil water mixing.

So to summerise

I'm leaving clouds of smoke, not all time not everyday. Smoke is white(ish) grey (ish)

I'd say its not the d-cat system working cos i'd of noticed this before now.

It drives A1

Fully serviced by toyota, the car is looked after i like things perfect and dont like her the car that is to be poorly

The car is booked in at a toyota dealership end of the month, talking on the phone they said they could not say for certain but it could be the start of head gasket, maybe 5th injector problem or EGR valve. They even think the amount of smoke is excessive.

Any ideas, Thanks in advance

Steve

Hello mate go to this post started by robvensis Definitive 2.2 D4d Head Gasket Stance By Toyota it may tell you more, unless you've already read it that is.
Pete.

#3 Steve84

Steve84

Advanced Club Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:28 PM

Hi pete i have just finished reading it and by the questions the dealership asked me they are leaning towards head gasket, although they mentioned 5th injector and egr valve they said it sounds head gasket. In my experinece of head gaskets owned rovers in the past with the k-series engines so i would of thought i'd of lost the heater, or seen the engine temp sore, maybe i'm wrong, but 37,200 miles is pretty poor on a modern jap diesel car (ok polish engine, car built in uk) but i think you know what i mean.

Thanks pete

Steve

#4 cabcurtains

cabcurtains

"Keep on Trucking"

• Bronze Member
  • 3,232 posts
  • First Name:Dale
  • Toyota Model: 11' Prius + 62' Mazda 6
  • Year: 2011

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

The colour is consistant with a head gasket, it will be interesting to see what Mr T finds.

#5 Heidfirst

Heidfirst

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,572 posts
  • First Name:Scott
  • Toyota Model: Avensis Tourer 2.2 D-4D T-Spirit
  • Year: 2012

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

the head gasket seems to be a "unique to the 2.2D4D" thing & as you can see Toyota are aware of it.
I'm pretty sure that if you look at other manufacturers' ranges you will find other common (& expensive) problems that relate to only particular models (I know that Ford certainly had problems with their 2.2 diesel & VW with the DSG transmission).

I'm not saying that I like it as I have a 2.2D as well so potentially could have it myself in the future but there just doesn't seem to be a fault free modern diesel in this sector ... :(

#6 Steve84

Steve84

Advanced Club Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:44 PM

cheers for replies so far, i think deep down i did think head gasket but was hoping it wont, i'll keep you all posted on what Mr t says on the 30th of jan, they could get the car in monday but i'm unable to get there till the 30th due to work.

Thanks steve

#7 Hati

Hati

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • First Name:Harri
  • Toyota Model: Avensis ADT251 Wagon 2AD-FHV
  • Year: 2007

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:48 PM

I bet my money on particular filter... i had the same before they changed to filter, 5th injector ja all the other stuff and updated my ecu. The ecu update changes the way it uses the 5th injector.

#8 Steve84

Steve84

Advanced Club Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:20 PM

I bet my money on particular filter... i had the same before they changed to filter, 5th injector ja all the other stuff and updated my ecu. The ecu update changes the way it uses the 5th injector.

I've had several ecu updates and had the injectors in the engine replaced 20,000 miles ago. I've not had the 5th injector replaced, i know lexus recalled the is220 diesel to replace the the 5th injector. I've been out in the car today and it perfoms fine which is why i'm not 100% certain its head gasket. I friend of mine has a lexus is220d and that smoked once in awhile, he took it to lexus and they replaced the 5th injector and its all ok now. Fingers crossed its only the 5th injector.

#9 Steve84

Steve84

Advanced Club Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:25 PM

Hi all got back from dealer this morning and i need a new egr valve they are also going do de-coke the intake manifold. So car goes in next saturday. I would like to add that the service from w r davis (stafford) was A1 the best service i've recived from a toyota dealer. I think my choice to swap dealers was well worth it.

#10 SF695

SF695

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Toyota Model: Avensis 2.0 Sol 1999

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:19 PM

If it was the headgasket, wouldn't it smoke all the time?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users