Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problem with roadsign speed detection ... newbie Q

DavidSlipper

I have a 2023 Yaris Hybrid and it has the roadsign "detection" system. It used to display the speed limit on the little screen behind the steering wheel and it would go "red" if I exceeded that speed (30 say).

However, I seem to have mucked it up somehow as now when it is showing 30 it goes "red" at about 20mph !!!

I was browsing the menus so it's probably finger trouble on my part.  What have I done wrong and how do I clear it ??? (could I have set a maximum somehow).

TIA Dave

7 hours ago, DavidSlipper said:

I have a 2023 Yaris Hybrid and it has the roadsign "detection" system. It used to display the speed limit on the little screen behind the steering wheel and it would go "red" if I exceeded that speed (30 say).

However, I seem to have mucked it up somehow as now when it is showing 30 it goes "red" at about 20mph !!!

I was browsing the menus so it's probably finger trouble on my part.  What have I done wrong and how do I clear it ??? (could I have set a maximum somehow).

TIA Dave

You go into vehicle settings on the steering wheel.  

It’s quite probable, David, you’ve come across the RSA ‘bug’ whereby it suddenly sees everything in Km/Hr so your 30(mph) is seen as 18(km/hr) so at 20 you’re ‘exceeding’ what it thinks is the limit.

Mine has recently started to do the same thing after previously worked fine for some time.

Many posts on the same problem, Toyota don’t seem to have a fix !

Not directly related, but the detected limit is always based on the last sign it has "seen". So if you come out of a 20mph zone, it will often stick on that and warn, even though that is no longer the limit. The detected speed limit and the satnav map-based speed limit often disagree. I even seen it where both are different and both are wrong. This seem to be quite a fundamental thing to be able to get right if cars are going to be driving themselves!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DavidSlipper said:

TIA Dave

It's nothing you've done - It's 'normal', don't worry about it.

The basic problem, assuming it read a speed sign correctly in the first place, is it randomly thinks the speed is in kph instead of mph.

I don't know why it isn't just fixed depending on what distance unit you've set the car to, but that's what they went with.

This is why a lot of us are very unimpressed with the RSA - It's just not fit for purpose.

Just be glad you're not one of the poor sods whose speed limiter is tied to and RSA-type system, which is likely coming for newer cars!

On 4/27/2024 at 2:06 PM, Cyker said:

Just be glad you're not one of the poor sods whose speed limiter is tied to and RSA-type system, which is likely coming for newer cars!

See my post in the General section......

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links