Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mmt Gear Box Problem - Solved

281HR

I have a 2008 Yaris 1.3 with the MMT gearbox and had what appears to be a common problem when starting from a standstill particularly when cold. The clutch would not engage until revs got above about 1200 rpm and then with a *****. It felt the same as if your foot had slipped off a standard manual clutch before you were ready to take your foot off. It was not a head jerking effect but nevertheless passengers commented and it was also very frustrating. During the very cold weather when first trying to pull off the engine would stall followed within a millisecond by the clutch disengaging which enabled the engine to keep going at which point the whole saga would begin again. 'Kangaroos and similar jumpy animals spring to mind. Driving the box in manual mode was better but by no means OK.

I bought the car from Pentagon Toyota at Sheffield in January and finally had had enough by early April. I took the car in for the acelerator recall and casully mentioned the symptoms regarding the clutch. The service guys were brilliant and Pentagon returned the car after about an hour and told me that there was a known problem with some gear box/clutch ECUs. They ordered me new one and I had it fitted today.

The problem is completely cured. It has gone from being the worst 'auto' transmission I have owned to the absolute best in one go. I prefer the gearbox to that I had in my Lexus RX300 which is as good as any ordinary auto box I have ever had. As soon as the brake is released - either handbrake or foot the car engages gently and smoothly - pulls away as if being driven on silk. It appears that there is a fix and Toyota have made it available. The new ECU costs over £300 plus fitting but they did mine under warranty of course. No wonder I have had 7 Toyotas to date.

If you have similar problems don't dispair - take to a good Toyota Dealer and have the transplant done. Let us know how you fare on this bulletin board.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links