Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lack Of Low Down Power

Potter42

Evening,

Just wondering if anyone might be able to give me any advice on a problem with my 07 D4D Avensis.

I've had it since November and it has been going a dream, Avg about 47.8 mpg and so far very happy with it. Since I've had it it has always had quite a distinctive turbo howl/whistle which I was not really too worked about.

Yesterday we went on a long run and the car has a real lack of power when you try to pull away from a junction or roundabout etc. As soon as you hit 2500 rpm then you then can feel the power coming in and it takes off but before that it will not pull the skin off a rice pudding which makes pulling off quite tricky and hill starts a bit challenging. On the motorway it was pulling along at 80 no problem.

I've also noticed that the Avg mpg has dropped to 46 mpg and the turbo howl has gone. I'm thinking it must be the waste gate on the turbo or a lack of vacuum or something? Could it also be the EGR valve?

Any help or ideas much appreciated.

I would give the EGR valve and inlet manifold where it sits a clean. Its a simple job and should improve your problems. I know when i clean mine i always have a smoother engine and more low end grunt.

You dont say if yours is a 2 or 2.2 lt but there is pleanty of posts describing how to clean both. The best on for cleaning a 2.2 is in the auris forum.

And as kingo points out the soot isnt pleasant so make sure you take care when doing it.

ONce you have ruled that out you can move of to more expensive/harder to sort via diy things like the turbo. But fingers crossed cleaning your egr will sort it.

I would give the EGR valve and inlet manifold where it sits a clean. Its a simple job and should improve your problems. I know when i clean mine i always have a smoother engine and more low end grunt.

You dont say if yours is a 2 or 2.2 lt but there is pleanty of posts describing how to clean both. The best on for cleaning a 2.2 is in the auris forum.

And as kingo points out the soot isnt pleasant so make sure you take care when doing it.

ONce you have ruled that out you can move of to more expensive/harder to sort via diy things like the turbo. But fingers crossed cleaning your egr will sort it.

Thanks for the quick reply. It's the 2.0 litre.

The car is still carrying some Toyota used warranty. Will this be covered or by having a look myself will I invalidate the remaining warranty?

The car is still carrying some Toyota used warranty. Will this be covered or by having a look myself will I invalidate the remaining warranty?

i am sure your warranty should cover your problem,why not contact your Mr T for advice.

i am sure your warranty should cover your problem,why not contact your Mr T for advice.

Guys,

Thanks for your advice, with it being bank holiday I decided I could not wait to take it to Toyota so I had a look myself.

I was amazed at the amount of soot I found in the valve and the intake. Anyway I gave it a good clean and put it all back together. Took it for a run and the problem is solved. Whilst it is never going to be the quickest off the blocks it now has the low down power back and will pull off with ease with good torque right up through the rev band.

How often does everyone clean theirs as I don't want to let it get into that state again. I take it the problem stems from the valve not closing correctly due to contamination and allowing the exhaust gasses in at low rpm giving poor combustion until the turbo starts forcing enough clean air in?

I'll see how she goes for the next few weeks, I still intend to take it to Toyota as I'm not happy with the spongy brake pedal which works a treat if I press, release slightly and then press again.

Cheers

"How often does everyone clean theirs as I don't want to let it get into that state again. I take it the problem stems from the valve not closing correctly due to contamination and allowing the exhaust gasses in at low rpm giving poor combustion until the turbo starts forcing enough clean air in?"

Depends on your style/type of driving - I'm looking at cleaning mine every 10K miles

"I'll see how she goes for the next few weeks, I still intend to take it to Toyota as I'm not happy with the spongy brake pedal which works a treat if I press, release slightly and then press again."

This is normal operation - mine is EXACTLY the same, its not like the old days when you would pump the pedal to remove air for better operation.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links