Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What's The New Yaris 1.4 Diesel Engine Like?

finchy

Hi all

Was thinking about changing our ten year old corolla for a new TR Yaris with the 1.4 diesel engine.

Is this going to be a good choice or would the 1.33 petrol engine be better?

Since we are retired it's just about economy really.

We do about 6000 per year and hope to keep the car long term but have never owned a diesel before.

Any comments from owners would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys

No idea what the new diesel is like in this car! But doing that kinda milage I'd stick to a petrol as prices of heavy oil is going up and up over Petrol...

I'd imagine it's very similar to the Mk2 Yaris D4D but yeah, not a great choice for short low-mileage use.

However, if you can wait, the HSD Yaris might be a better choice!

Does the car really need to be new though

At 6,000 miles a year - its very hard to justify a new car on the basis of economy and low running costs.

If it was my mum and dad in this situation - id be suggesting a look at nice 3 to 4 year old 2nd hand Yarises or equivelent small

cars.

But nothing wrong with a new car - if you want a new car - go for it, also id recommend at that mileage that you go petrol - and look closely at the new hybrid and do the sums.

Do have a good drive of the Yaris before committing - my Father changed cars a few years ago and initially decided he wanted something

smaller. He decided eventually to opt for the same size again.

Oh and if your simply looking to change the Corolla simply on the basis of the fuel cost (ie the car is still reliable and in decent condition - you just want to save on fuel). Then do take into account the money you will Shell out on the new car to buy it first day.

One more thing - in Ireland from past experience - if your trading in a 10 year old Corolla - the discount for a straight deal is nearly the same as what they will allow for a trade in (ie they are effectively getting the 10 year old Corolla for free). Get quotes for a trade in and for a straight deal - and suss out whats best.

You may find it pays to sell the car privately on the local paper or wherever cars sold privately in your area normally sell well.

Red diesel

Hi you would need to be doing considerably more annual mileage to benefit from a diesel engine.You would be better off with the 1.33 petrol which is very economical and would be smoother than a diesel .Some modern diesels also have diesel particulate problems if used for short journeys although I don't know if the Toyota diesel would suffer from this.The mk11 yaris 1.33 is in the £30 annual tax bracket as it benefits from stop/start technology which was bizarrely dropped on the mk111 version putting the mk111 in a higher tax bracket

My figures suggest it works out like this.....

New Yaris TR. 1.33 does 52.3mpg officially, 1.4D does 72.4mpg. Whether you'll actually get either of those figures in real driving is debatable, but to suggest that the diesel does 20mpg more than the petrol doesn't sound unreasonable and if you use the official figures, at least they're a genuine comparison between the two engines when theyre doing the same work....

So using those figures and the current cost of fuel, over 6000 miles, a petrol Yaris will cost you £687 in fuel and a diesel Yaris will cost you £530 in fuel - so that's £157 extra per year fuel costs.

But - the diesel model costs £1500 extra. That means it will take you over 9.5 years just to recoup your extra outlay on the new car price....

Even if you do 10000 miles per year - it will still take you nearly 5 years to just revover your extra outlay on the new car price....

That's why we bought our 1.3 petrol when we changed our Yaris back in 2008.....

OK - I've not factored in any difference in road fund tax and some people may prefer the low down pulling power of a diesel engine - also if you buy secondhand, the extra price premium may not be as much - but it still illustrates the point very well that you need to be doing high mileage to justify a diesel car purely as a financial transaction....

But there's also ongoing vs static costs.

Although mine cost more than a 1.0 or 1.3 (By like, £2k! :crybaby:), I could save for that putting aside spare cash as and when, and come buying time it's just a one-off cost, whereas the running costs are constantly eating into your income for the life of the car.

This is more a personal thing tho'; I prefer to pay more initially and have lower repeating costs as I find it easier to manage than paying very little initially but having higher running costs.

At the mileage the OP intends to do tho', it probably isn't worth changing as the 'rolla is already nicer car than anything you're likely to find without forking out a lot of money! :)

Thanks a lot guys, this all makes interesting reading, looks like diesel may not be our best option.

We bought the Corolla new almost ten years ago, it’s been extremely reliable and we love it, but feel we can’t expect this to carry on indefinitely. So the Yaris looks like a sensible move, we can only hope it will be as dependable.

How many miles on the Corolla? If you are selling it then I'd maybe like to buy it for my daughter...

Cheers

Taff

Hi Taff

The Carolla is a Sunburst Red TSpirit 1.6 September 2002. It's done 56,000 full purchasing dealer service history.

We will probably want to sell end of April (Cant afford the new one till then!)

Cheers

Hi Taff The Carolla is a Sunburst Red TSpirit 1.6 September 2002. It's done 56,000 full purchasing dealer service history. We will probably want to sell end of April (Cant afford the new one till then!) Cheers

I`ll start the bidding...... £150 :D

How much do you want for it mate? PM me and we can talk about money :drunk:

How much do you want for it mate? PM me and we can talk about money :drunk:

Hi Taff The Carolla is a Sunburst Red TSpirit 1.6 September 2002. It's done 56,000 full purchasing dealer service history. We will probably want to sell end of April (Cant afford the new one till then!) Cheers

I`ll start the bidding...... £150 :D

I wish my mate! lol :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links