Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0 hybrid judder /missfire

taxidriver50005

My corolla has suddenly developed a judder or missfire  between 1500-2000 rpm under load, 2020 model and 30,000 miles, no engine light... Where should I be looking before a visit to the dealers 😳😫

Any video recordings ? Have you tried YouTube to search for similar problems from other owners? Is it a 2.0 hybrid?

Morning,

Mine suffered a slight misfire when idling but not when running/driving. Turns out there’s an injector issue with a few cars perhaps caused by E10 fuel - I’ve always ran mine on V Power though ….

Take it to the dealer, Toyota are aware of this as with mine a technical card was raised and they replaced all my injectors under warranty. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, shufman said:

Morning,

Mine suffered a slight misfire when idling but not when running/driving. Turns out there’s an injector issue with a few cars perhaps caused by E10 fuel - I’ve always ran mine on V Power though ….

Take it to the dealer, Toyota are aware of this as with mine a technical card was raised and they replaced all my injectors under warranty. 

Visited dealer today and he says there have been a few issues with injectors, advised against e5 fuel. 

This is a 20 plate 2.0 hybrid and I know of 2 others with same year car having same problems, is this just a bad batch of injectors or are we going to have a ongoing problem here. 

The injectors that have been replaced were they the port or direct injection injectors that have been replaced or all 8.

11 hours ago, taxidriver50005 said:

Visited dealer today and he says there have been a few issues with injectors, advised against e5 fuel. 

This is a 20 plate 2.0 hybrid and I know of 2 others with same year car having same problems, is this just a bad batch of injectors or are we going to have a ongoing problem here. 

The injectors that have been replaced were they the port or direct injection injectors that have been replaced or all 8.

It’s a thing for sure. It affects Mk. 4 Yaris too as it’s the same engine minus a cylinder. 

In Italy are recorded many cases of problems with 2.0 and misfire, plus issues with egr too as a result of bad fuel. The Yaris mk4 has similar engine although only port injection. I believe the issue you had are in the high pressure fuel system and the direct injectors. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shufman said:

It’s a thing for sure. It affects Mk. 4 Yaris too as it’s the same engine minus a cylinder. 

Did you find out which injectors where replaced 

3 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

In Italy are recorded many cases of problems with 2.0 and misfire, plus issues with egr too as a result of bad fuel. The Yaris mk4 has similar engine although only port injection. I believe the issue you had are in the high pressure fuel system and the direct injectors. 

Oh good.... The ones that will be most expensive and harder to fit once warranty runs out... 😳😳😳.  Odd the yaris is having issues if it is only port injection.... Hows the newer 1.8 getting on.... Old one was built proof. 

Just now, taxidriver50005 said:

Oh good.... The ones that will be most expensive and harder to fit once warranty runs out... 😳😳😳.  Odd the yaris is having issues if it is only port injection.... Hows the newer 1.8 getting on.... Old one was built proof. 

These 1.8 has no issues with bad fuel.
The problem comes that under certain conditions and higher pressures in the combustion chamber the exhaust emissions can become acidic and cause damage to egr cooler and obvious injectors. This was the report from Toyota dealer after investigation of a similar problem where the egr cooler was damaged and coolant was leaking into the cylinders causing bad misfires and engine knocking like an old tractor. 
Here the video 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, taxidriver50005 said:

Did you find out which injectors where replaced 

It was a slight misfire on cylinder 3 but they changed them all. Said they were incorrect spec. Whatever that means. No fault codes or lights though. 

9 hours ago, shufman said:

It was a slight misfire on cylinder 3 but they changed them all. Said they were incorrect spec. Whatever that means. No fault codes or lights though. 

Incorrect spec means they've tested and one or all arnt spraying right pattern, just hope this isn't a recurring problem... Have you done many miles since, and what year was yours... All the faulty ones I've seen so far have been 2020 model 

10 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

These 1.8 has no issues with bad fuel.
The problem comes that under certain conditions and higher pressures in the combustion chamber the exhaust emissions can become acidic and cause damage to egr cooler and obvious injectors. This was the report from Toyota dealer after investigation of a similar problem where the egr cooler was damaged and coolant was leaking into the cylinders causing bad misfires and engine knocking like an old tractor. 
Here the video 

That's exactly the same sound 1.8 prius make when head gasket goes bad and let's water into combustion chamber. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, taxidriver50005 said:

Incorrect spec means they've tested and one or all arnt spraying right pattern, just hope this isn't a recurring problem... Have you done many miles since, and what year was yours... All the faulty ones I've seen so far have been 2020 model 

Hi Alan,

Mines a 2019 (nov) so a little older than yours but they’ll be similar. Toyota didn’t seem aware of the issue previously but sent a special machine to the dealership to test each injector out of the engine. 
Done a couple of thousand miles since and no issues but if it’s coming back it’s too soon. 

I’ve always used V Power since new so it could be worse if you’ve used e10 exclusively. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shufman said:

Hi Alan,

Mines a 2019 (nov) so a little older than yours but they’ll be similar. Toyota didn’t seem aware of the issue previously but sent a special machine to the dealership to test each injector out of the engine. 
Done a couple of thousand miles since and no issues but if it’s coming back it’s too soon. 

I’ve always used V Power since new so it could be worse if you’ve used e10 exclusively. 

Just curious what the issue is, faulty batch of injectors or poor design. 

I'm hoping for the first. Car has only done 30,000 and I normally do about 60,000 a year so could get very expensive. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, taxidriver50005 said:

I'm hoping for the first. Car has only done 30,000 and I normally do about 60,000 a year so could get very expensive. 

Perhaps a bad batch or lack of use or the e10 or a combination of all of these.  In USA there are rav4’s with similar engines that has covered crazy high miles without any issues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taxidriver50005 said:

I’d imagine that they will modify future ones but you’re under warranty for 100k. 

I’d always V Power or equivalent as I get better pirate anyway but it’s now 20p a litre more rather that 5-6p a few years ago. Funny that 🤔

• Like 1

@taxidriver50005 as you mentioned the dealer advised against E5 fuel but @TonyHSD & @shufman suggest that the E10 would be part of the problem … so where is the truth about the fuel to use ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DC_Ms said:

@taxidriver50005 as you mentioned the dealer advised against E5 fuel but @TonyHSD & @shufman suggest that the E10 would be part of the problem … so where is the truth about the fuel to use ?

Truth is any fuel should be fine. I’ve used v power or equivalent for 20 years - my old Corolla was at 160,000 miles and ran perfectly and used no oil but it was serviced on the dot so maybe that played more of a role I don’t know. 

I’d always use a brand fuel but that goes back to the days 30 years ago where supermarket fuels used to cause problems with carb cars. I had a Fiat that wouldn’t run on Tesco for example. 

I don’t know why the dealer would say that about E5, on the spec sheets it says 95 oct. or higher. 

E5 burns hotter and is more efficient in my experience but yours might be different. 

I was told by my Mastertech friend that is COULD be caused by E10.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If E10 or E5 causes a problem I would consider that a major design flaw that should be fixed under warranty - An engine as new as these should be able to run on either with no problems as they are the legally mandated fuels for this type of engine. If the fuel conforms to the standards set but the injectors don't like it, the problem is the injectors, not the fuel.

The fuel can only be blamed if there is e.g. contamination in it, like the case in Italy where some fuel was contaminated with Chlorine which destroyed some Yaris hybrid EGR pipes.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Cyker said:

If E10 or E5 causes a problem I would consider that a major design flaw that should be fixed under warranty - An engine as new as these should be able to run on either with no problems as they are the legally mandated fuels for this type of engine. If the fuel conforms to the standards set but the injectors don't like it, the problem is the injectors, not the fuel.

The fuel can only be blamed if there is e.g. contamination in it, like the case in Italy where some fuel was contaminated with Chlorine which destroyed some Yaris hybrid EGR pipes.

I think the dealers view was as e5 is more expensive and would be sat longer in the forecourt tanks and maybe be more susceptible to contamination as most people would buy the cheapest option. 

I personally have used exclusively asda fuel in my prius now at 350,000 with no fuel related issues. 

Hoping this is just teething problems with a relatively new design and replaced parts have been updated, going to have a chat with dealer when I'm there Thursday. 

If it is down to the fuel we use it doesn't seam to matter whether asda or Shell v power. 

• Like 3

Just tagging in this thread for the future. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 7:26 PM, taxidriver50005 said:

I think the dealers view was as e5 is more expensive and would be sat longer in the forecourt tanks and maybe be more susceptible to contamination as most people would buy the cheapest option. 

I personally have used exclusively asda fuel in my prius now at 350,000 with no fuel related issues. 

Hoping this is just teething problems with a relatively new design and replaced parts have been updated, going to have a chat with dealer when I'm there Thursday. 

If it is down to the fuel we use it doesn't seam to matter whether asda or shell v power. 

I think it’s the newer 1.5, 2.0 engines. The old 1.8 is indestructible 😄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2badmice said:

Just tagging in this thread for the future. 

I'm hoping you want need to revisit this

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, shufman said:

I think it’s the newer 1.5, 2.0 engines. The old 1.8 is indestructible 😄

In full agreement... Hope I haven't made a mistake.... In all fairness 2.0 drives so much better.... When it's working 🤔🙄

• Like 2

On 5/5/2023 at 7:36 AM, shufman said:

My Corolla Hybrid 2.0 had exact issue vibrating and knocking engine, and sometimes misfiring, take to dealership In Uk leeds, they could find fault code, than advices me, to authorise them to open the EGR, costing me £380 after that made to authorise for EGR VOLVE which cost me £618, this time they said we found fault code it’s the injectors, after waiting so long they Replaced one injector for one cylinder now they saying it’s another injector for second cylinder, horrible experience 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links