Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Unexplained Clunk, Please Help!

scally

Hi All, I'm new to this sort of thing but here goes. Please if anyone could shed any light on what the following could be I will be very greatful; I have a Toyota Hilux 3ltr 07plate, it was involed in a hit & run on a round-about with a Ford Transit Flat-bed in October, yes he did a runner. My insurance fixed my Hilux, but on getting it back from the garage within days it developed a metal clunking sound that could and still is being heard when turning full lock left in forward + reverse. I contacted my insurance company and my Hilux has been back to the garage were I test drove it for thier head engineer, he confirmed that he could also hear the clunk. It has since been test driven & looked at by an Independent Assessor and Toyota + a full safety check carried out, they also heard the sound but thier findings were inconclusive. The safety check only showed that my front breaks + discs needed repalcing, so I have had this done and also fitted a full set of new tyres. The clunk is still there! The insurance company now would like the truck to go into Toyota for a three hour strip down starting with the front passenger side wheel and working back. If this also comes back as be inconclusive or not part of the accident then I will have to pick up the cost of just under £400, OUCH! I have added so photos if this helps. Any idears are wellcome. THX.post-118210-0-30918600-1330112194_thumb.post-118210-0-30918600-1330112194_thumb.post-118210-0-83774700-1330112123_thumb.

post-118210-0-04971500-1330112267_thumb.

Hi Emma and welcome to the club. If the clunking was not apparent before the accident then it must be down to the accident. but if they cant find the cause after this why should you have to pay if the problem is still there.

i am sure any suggestions you would get on here would thought of and checked out at the earlier inspections. is it only steering related or occurs any other time as going over bumps etc.

If the garage that carried out the repairs was one chosen by your insurence company (not a Toyota one) you could claim that they chose the repairer who was not competant to do these repairs. And why should you be expected to be penalized for their shortcomings.

Citizen advice bureau maybe of some help.

i am sure things like loose steering parts,wheel bearings etc that may be the first thing that come to mind will have been inspected already.

Sorry i cant be of more help.But then someone on here may have a brain wave or has come across this problem before.

If you put this posting on the Hilux forum you may find another owner may have had a similar problem.

This sounds like a case that the the dealer/body shop didn't do or check out the car after an accident, like you had! and perform the correct part replacements. I would tell the insurer to go stick it up there ar@e and get the car back to the original condition before the accident! after all you pay your insurance and you want the car in a proper, fit purpose for the public highway!...

It will not help your case if you rant and rave at your insurence company.be insistant and firm but calm.if your start getting up set on the phone and start swearing etc they will hang up on you as they are entitled to do,which will not help matters.

Good luck.

My good mate Acetip is correct on this. Be firm and calm and state your case and ask what they are prepaired to do in order to resolve this outstanding issue. If all else fails, then I'd contact the insurance ombudsman for advise. If that doesn't work... Then send the boys round!!! :donatello::chinese::boxing: :crutchy: :ph34r::lol::naughty::laughing:

Hi Em, I've only been a member since last week myself, so still a bit green so to speak.

I agree with all that's been said already about your rights etc so don't back down, this damage wasn't your fault and if you start paying out you'll find it hard to claim back afterwards.

I would have thought that everyone who's looked at your car would have checked everything that there is to check.....but I wonder if they've checked the C.V. joint whilst it's been under load????..........Hope this helps :ermm:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links