Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New To Iqs

classicmfb

I've owned an iQ for less than a fortnight now and didn't find out much about them before taking the plunge and buying an '09 base model (very happy I did though), so please don't laugh if anything I ask is a bit 'Homer Simpson'. I'd be grateful if those of you who are familiar with the cars would be kind enough to give me some guidance on the following:

I asked Toyota GB about the 60 mpg upper limit on the economy gauge and was informed that if I wanted the system to be able to show figures beyong 60 like current cars do (in other words, if I wanted it to be something other than largely pointless), I'd have to pay to have a new unit to be installed, the three year warranty having expired the day before I collected the car. That seems a little harsh given that it's clearly a design defect that other owners have been having them changed under warranty. This is my first Toyota so I don't know whether that sort of attitude is par for the course. Is it?

I'm not sure whether I'm worrying about nothing here, but the aircon's output seems to be on the feeble side relative to what I've experienced in other types of car. Is the system known to be a bit marginal, perhaps because it's small?

I couldn't stretch to a good high spec version so I'd like to add a couple of iQ2 features to my car, namely the foglamps and the electric folding mechanism for the mirrors. Even if I can get the parts from a scap iQ, are these 'take-the-car-to-pieces-and-rebuild-it' type jobs or would they be a feasible proposition?

Thanks in anticipation of your thoughts!

Firstly welcome to the forum and ownership. There's no such thing as stupid questions, but there is a little utility called search.

It does seem a little harsh that the dealer is not willing to sort the dash 60MPG limit out as it was only out by a day. You could try the sale of goods having a known fault and doubtfully pointed out to you prior to the sale. Sorry wasn't there when you dealt with them.

Regarding the retro fitting of items, fog lights should be fairly easy as I would think that the connections will be on the main loom, although I'm not sure if your lights stalk has the thumb dial for the fogs.

The side mirrors might be a bit more work though. Not 100% on this.

Fish

Not got mine yet, should be here the end of next week, but I was thinking along the same lines about developing my IQ - or do I just hang on for a couple of years and, assuming I love it as much as I hope, trade up?

Hi Mark

Just a word on the electric mirrors,mechanically they are easy to fit but you would need to remove the dashboard blanking plate and have a look to see if there is a multi plug either floating around or tied back somewhere. If no plug is present then its a no go i am sorry to say

David

Thank you very much Fish, hearing from people so soon after making a tentative first post makes newcomers like me feel very welcome.

I should perhaps point out that I didn't buy my iQ from a Toyota dealer, I looked at a couple at Toyota dealerships but their prices were just too hefty, so I bought elsewhere. I didn't actually ask Toyota UK whether I'd be entitled to have the duff display unit changed free of charge on a car that was only just out of warranty, I merely enquired as to whether what I was seeing was correct - they assumed I was a disgruntled customer looking for a freebie (getting their retaliation in first, as it where).

I probably won't make an issue of it because it's ultimately not all that important, but voluntarily taking ownership of the design fault on a premium product would have enhanced the customer experience, especially in view of the Sale of Goods Act.

You were quite right to mention the lighting stalk as on checking the car, I can see there isn't a position for the front fogs. I suppose the most straightforward thing to do would be to get hold of a pair of lamps and the grille sections that surround them from a scrapped iQ and use a universal connection kit to wire them to a switch on the dashboard.

Its a shame Toyota have taken this point of view, bad customer relations is one of the reasons I quit being a Pugeot owner after 15 years.

Now of course I'm not saying Toyota should cover items forever, but it seems a great shame that they can't help, for a car easily able to break the 60mpg barrier with an already accepted issue in the unit measuring fuel, cannot cover this.

Sorry,

but unless i have mis-understood the previous posts, Toyota have not taken any point of view, 'Have they'?.

They may well allow the work to be done to upgrade the Fuel Readout if asked Via a Toyota dealership.

The previous owner obviously did not bother for 3 years, and to be honest i dont think i would either now.

The iQ will do over 60mpg,

but unlikely to really average that over a tankfull without Hypermiling being done.

george

Welcome Mark to this brilliant little part of the Interweb. The guys and gals on here are, in the most part, very knowledgeable people (I'm not so knowledgeable). I took their advice on changing the display you have posted about, and am glad I did. Seeing the Avg Fuel monitor go over 60mpg was great. Yes, I knew it was doing this even if I couldn't see it before I had it changed, so, was it necessary to change it?

Not really, but I figured that whoever has our iQ after us would appreciate seeing the extra mpg it is capable of on the display. Also, we wanted to see the little extra over 60mpg too. I have seen almost 74mpg on the display. You do however have an Odometer (mileage) reset to zero doing this, but, should you be lucky enough to get this done, make sure they include (in the box provided at the back of the service log) the previous mileage and stamp the book.

As you may have thought yourself, it's one of the reasons for buying such a car, and it does encourage you to try harder to get those extra mpg from the car. If I were you I would be tempted to try one or two dealers and ask if they can change it for you, or perhaps approach it this way, 'What is the procedure to have the display unit replaced with one that will show over the 60mpg limit?' Don't say where you got it from, and include, 'As it's a known fault on the car.' Mention the forum, and that many discussions on here point out that it is a known fault with the car and that those people who have had theirs changed had them done for free.' Don't mention under warranty... it's got to be worth a go.

Best of luck.

:naughty::driving:

Hi I am new to the iq as well, fell in love at first sight and purchased basic model. I would like to fit fog lights purchased lights and took them to Toyota garage to fit ( being a woman it beyond me to do.) the garage want €350+ to fit them as they need to purchase a kit I remember the word relay. Can anyone tell me what is in the kit and can I purchase it elsewhere? Thanks for letting me join

P.s. living in Ireland hence the euros

Did you buy just the fog lights or the complete kit from Toyota?

The kit from Toyota will have everything you need to fit the lights in the car and has the part number PZ457-I0510-00 (That is an i in the part number, not a one)

If however you bought just the lights themselves from eBay you will need a lot of other parts too like relays, switches, wiring and new grill panels to hold the lights in place.

Take a look at this link and you can see on page 6 what is included in the kit and the part numbers of the individual components. I reckon if you have the lights already, get the grills then take it all to a local garage or auto electrician with a printed copy of those instructions and they should be able to fit them.

http://www.toyota-te...IM_001793-0.pdf

Craig.

Sorry,

but unless i have mis-understood the previous posts, Toyota have not taken any point of view, 'Have they'?.

The OP did, didnt he??

I asked Toyota GB about the 60 mpg upper limit on the economy gauge and was informed that if I wanted the system to be able to show figures beyong 60 like current cars do

I would take it to a Toyota dealer and ask them to put in an "out of warranty" request, you never know until you ask, through the official channells as it were

Kingo :thumbsup:

Wow thanks for the info Craig, I just purchased the lights. That all looks very scary, think I'll forget the fogs and stay home at night though winter months. :-(

Parts-King i think the original post has been edited since i read it and posted my reply to the post before mine...

Maybe wrong as i often am.

Actually i think i missed the first post and read the next one by the new owner,

who knows.

sorry.

george

No problem George, I often waffle on about things and then find I was talking B******S :D:

Did you buy just the fog lights or the complete kit from Toyota?

The kit from Toyota will have everything you need to fit the lights in the car and has the part number PZ457-I0510-00 (That is an i in the part number, not a one)

If however you bought just the lights themselves from ebay you will need a lot of other parts too like relays, switches, wiring and new grill panels to hold the lights in place.

Take a look at this link and you can see on page 6 what is included in the kit and the part numbers of the individual components. I reckon if you have the lights already, get the grills then take it all to a local garage or auto electrician with a printed copy of those instructions and they should be able to fit them.

http://www.toyota-te...IM_001793-0.pdf

Craig.

That's quite interesting. If you have the front Fogs factory fitted the switch is on the LH stalk where I presume all rear Fog switches are as well. But the retro-kit, you get a push switch to fit into one of the blanks by the steering wheel.

I thought all the stalks would have had the switch, just not connected without the Fogs.

Thanks David for your thoughts on feasibility of retrofitting the remote folding mirrors and to bob809 for the warm welcome. Continuing with the topic of installing foglights to base models, how about this idea?

Instead of going to the (probably considerable) expense of buying a foglight kit from Toyota and, if like me you're a bit wary of electrics, having to pay someone who knows what they're doing to fit them, why not obtain the grille end sections from a scap iQ (probably have to buy the lamps too, but I expect they could be sold on) and then fit circular Daytime Running Lights in the foglamp apertures? I've seen a universal kit offered online by a firm called Ledcom that costs under £60 delivered and, compared to the amount of work shown in the Toyota foglight instruction booklet, would surely be comparatively simple to fit.

If the job was done with a bit of care it could look almost factory and while there wouldn't be foglights to use on the odd occasion when visibility isreally bad, there would be DLRs that would be used everyday. The DLRs in question are 70mm in diameter - does anybody know what diameter the foglights are? And does this contain a fatal flaw...?

Thanks David for your thoughts on feasibility of retrofitting the remote folding mirrors and to bob809 for the warm welcome - I'll let you know what sort of response I get when I ask my local dealer about the fuel computer swap! Continuing with the topic of installing foglights to base models, how about this idea?

Instead of going to the (probably considerable) expense of buying a foglight kit from Toyota and, if like me you're a bit wary of electrics, having to pay someone who knows what they're doing to fit them, why not obtain the grille end sections from a scap iQ (probably have to buy the lamps too, but I expect they could be sold on) and then fit circular Daytime Running Lights in the foglamp apertures? I've seen a universal kit offered online by a firm called Ledcom that costs under £60 and compared to the amount of work shown in the Toyota foglight instruction booklet, would surely be comparatively simple to fit.

If the job was done with a bit of care it could look almost factory and while there wouldn't be foglights to use on the odd occasion when visibility is really bad, there would be DLRs that would be used everyday. The DLRs in question are 70mm in diameter - does anybody know what diameter the foglights are? And does this idea contain a fatal flaw...?

No, I haven't been drinking - the double post was due to my failing to notice I'd sent out my reply before I altered it. See what I mean, I'm just no good with anything electrical....

Well it has finally arrived on my drive and so far I am loving it.

The only downside is that, with it actually being sunny today, I have found the central part of the dash a bit too shiney. Having said that, burnt orange in the sunshine STUNNING!

I had the same idea about the folding mirrors on an iQ1 when I first got mine. I asked a local dealer if it could be done and how much it would cost. They came back with yes it can be done, but the parts alone they wanted £600 for so I scrapped that idea. Think the iQ2 is what, 1k more than iQ1 list price? £600+ for just the mirrors is not good value!

An idea for the centre of the dash Paul. Remove it, sand it down with glass paper or similar, prime it and then spray it with an appropriate matt paint. Or you could always go for the same Burnt Orange that is on the exterior. It won't make it less shiny but I imagine it would look pretty good if done correctly. :thumbsup:

Welcome Mark to this brilliant little part of the Interweb. The guys and gals on here are, in the most part, very knowledgeable people (I'm not so knowledgeable). I took their advice on changing the display you have posted about, and am glad I did. Seeing the Avg Fuel monitor go over 60mpg was great. Yes, I knew it was doing this even if I couldn't see it before I had it changed, so, was it necessary to change it?

Not really, but I figured that whoever has our iQ after us would appreciate seeing the extra mpg it is capable of on the display. Also, we wanted to see the little extra over 60mpg too. I have seen almost 74mpg on the display. You do however have an Odometer (mileage) reset to zero doing this, but, should you be lucky enough to get this done, make sure they include (in the box provided at the back of the service log) the previous mileage and stamp the book.

As you may have thought yourself, it's one of the reasons for buying such a car, and it does encourage you to try harder to get those extra mpg from the car. If I were you I would be tempted to try one or two dealers and ask if they can change it for you, or perhaps approach it this way, 'What is the procedure to have the display unit replaced with one that will show over the 60mpg limit?' Don't say where you got it from, and include, 'As it's a known fault on the car.' Mention the forum, and that many discussions on here point out that it is a known fault with the car and that those people who have had theirs changed had them done for free.' Don't mention under warranty... it's got to be worth a go.

Best of luck.

:naughty::driving:

It doesn't matter about changing it on the iQ3, as they don't do over 60 mpg. My display only shows about 45 mpg at most. That's the Multidrive model.