• Registered Member
  • 3 posts
  • First Name:Robin
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: avensis
  • Year: 1998

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

HELP!

I have a 1998 Avensis 1,6 and it just won't start. It turnes over and fires once and then dies. The battery and all fuses is ok and when I spray some engine-start into the air filter box and smack it shut it fires for a few seconds, running on the gas.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this?

Thanks in advance.
Robin

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 crofter

crofter

Top Rank Poster!

• TOC Supporter
  • 1,649 posts
  • First Name:Derek
  • Toyota Model: Rav 4/3 Auto xt4
  • Year: 2006

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

Whil'st I am unfamiliar with your engine the symtems you describle can only be due to fuel not reaching the cylinders.

Leaving aside the obvious i.e no fuel in the tank,although it is always possible that the guage is faulty.

I would first check that fuel can get through. Is there an inline filter? Some have the filter in the fuel tank.

Disconnect the outlet side of the fuel pump,place a containor under the pump outlet to catch any outflow and switch on the ignition till the warning lights come on.

It may be that the pump is in the tank,if so break into the fuel line in the engine bay and switch on.

If no fuel appears you could try blowing down the fuel line(not with a high pressure airline tho') after removing the fuel filler cap,although if you don,t fancy the taste of fuel you could always use a bike or foot pump.

If fuel then appears after you switch on then the filter will been clogged and you have pushed all the crud into the tank. this may mean cleaning out the fuel tank,but cross that bridge if you have to.

Try that and see how it goes

Hope this helps and by the way go very easy on the cold start spray!!

Del

#3 Red Yaris 54

Red Yaris 54

Top Rank Poster!

• Super Moderator
  • 19,425 posts
  • First Name:Red
  • Toyota Model: New Yaris Sport Chilli Red with Piri-Piri Trim-Sons Aygo "Ice"
  • Year: 2014

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

Moved to Avensis forum

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users