Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Not Even A Jack Now !

paulmel

Enjoying my new 4.4 immensely, great to drive, lovely (IMO), to look at, but Toyota G.B. have done it again.

Not only does it not come with the space saver as standard (due to be offered as an optional PAYABLE extra from June/July) but now you don't even get supplied with a jack

If you have side steps fitted at factory, you get supplied with a metal "adapter" that sits on the jack to avoid damaging the side steps when lifting, but not the jack itself

W.T.F !

So am presuming now that the fairly useless Tyre Repair Kit will work 100% of the time, on any severity of puncture because if it doesn't, you can't even get your wheel off.

Crazy. Stupid. Useless. And not just Toyota.

Buyers should INSIST on a spare of some sort, and the means to fit it. If new vehicles are being sold without these things, they are NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

Just get these items included when you buy the car (new or used), or don't buy it. A dealer will always capitulate.

Chris

Enjoying my new 4.4 immensely, great to drive, lovely (IMO), to look at, but Toyota G.B. have done it again.

Not only does it not come with the space saver as standard (due to be offered as an optional PAYABLE extra from June/July) but now you don't even get supplied with a jack

If you have side steps fitted at factory, you get supplied with a metal "adapter" that sits on the jack to avoid damaging the side steps when lifting, but not the jack itself

W.T.F !

So am presuming now that the fairly useless Tyre Repair Kit will work 100% of the time, on any severity of puncture because if it doesn't, you can't even get your wheel off.

I had a look at the new RAV the other day and was very impressed. Seemed just as high up to me as the 4.3 and nicely finished.

Would many owners of a RAV actually jack it up and change the wheel? With a smaller car I would and have done so, but doubt I would with the RAV or a larger vehicle. Depending on the severity of the problem I would either pump it up and drive to a nearby tyre fitter for repair/replacement, or I would call the AA/RAC to change it for me.

David

I suppose in an emergency situation, if you don't have a spare, you don't need a jack!

So either the repair gunk does the job ( used mine twice- no issues, works fine) or its recovery time?!

Dave

NB the jack is rubbish for DIY anyway so no loss there

I was looking at a Jeep Patriot the other week for a guy who wanted to swap his space saver spare for a full-sized spare.

Spare is hung under the boot and given the size of even the space saver, I don't think I would want to try and get the wheel off the holder or put the wheel back under the car myself, or recommend it is done at the roadside, so I'm with Dwilson in general terms.

With the right kit, however, wheel changing is a doddle - swapped all 4 of my RAV4 wheels yesterday (winter to summer) in 15 mins :)

• Like 1

I was looking at a Jeep Patriot the other week for a guy who wanted to swap his space saver spare for a full-sized spare.

Spare is hung under the boot and given the size of even the space saver, I don't think I would want to try and get the wheel off the holder or put the wheel back under the car myself, or recommend it is done at the roadside, so I'm with Dwilson in general terms.

With the right kit, however, wheel changing is a doddle - swapped all 4 of my RAV4 wheels yesterday (winter to summer) in 15 mins :)

Swapping mine at the weekend - off to buy a puck after work ;)

• Like 1

Swapping mine at the weekend - off to buy a puck after work ;)

Aye......Davrav has gone to puck, again.....

Mine are coming off this weekend. I suppose the jack is part of the spare wheel kit these days.

The 4.2s made the best sense. Wheel on the back door and jack under the seat so at least if you had a puncture you didn't have to empty the boot. Not nice when it is persisting down on the hard shoulder.

Puncture repair kit? No use whatsover if you have sidewall damage. Then it's Recovery time.

Even if the owner/driver doesn't fancy jacking up and changing a wheel, then a Helpful Other might offer to assist. But without the tools, you're b******d.

And all so that the vehicle manufacturers can claim a tad more mpg, reduced weight, etc. Do the emergency services or military put up with this? Do they hell.

A skinny spare seems to be the absolute minimum requirement.

I suppose in an emergency situation, if you don't have a spare, you don't need a jack!

So either the repair gunk does the job ( used mine twice- no issues, works fine) or its recovery time?!

Dave

NB the jack is rubbish for DIY anyway so no loss there

Your the first person I know of who's actually used the tyre sealant..and twice as well!

Rumour has it that it doesnt work,glad to hear that it does,thanks.

I have the sealant kit in the boot, but not used it and don't intend to really.

Instead I bought one of those 'string' type repair kits, which provides a physical plug for a puncture and seems a much better solution - though needs much more user intervention

• Like 1

So many people dismiss the repair gunk out of hand, never having used it!

Lets face facts 90% of punctures will be a nail stuck in the tread. The repair kit is easy to use (by young/old or able/not so) and effective for this issue.

Also, Toyota will repair the tyre FOR FREE if it is indeed repairable.

Given the option I'd have chosen a spare tyre, but I'm not concerned at all about not having one.

Dave

The reason I don't intend to use the liquid repairer is I have TPMS valves and tha kind of repair method is usually the death sentence to the sensors within the tyres.

With TPMS apparently mandatory now on all new models (since Nov 2012, so including new RAV4.4 I presume?), I wonder what is going to be the answer there? maybe makers will move from tyre sensors to the BMW type TPMS where there are no sensors, but linked the the ABS system to check for matching wheel revolutions?

. . . but linked the the ABS system to check for matching wheel revolutions . . .

So just don't go round any corners, then . . . Hmm. But, again, the info is probably also being read from steering wheel angle, roll bar sensors, and an accelerometer. So that'll be alright, then. We look forward to being advised of the relevant fault codes.

They'll just have to ask Citroen how to get all this sort of thing to work.

Hey, ho . . .

Puncture repair kit? No use whatsover if you have sidewall damage. Then it's Recovery time.

Even if the owner/driver doesn't fancy jacking up and changing a wheel, then a Helpful Other might offer to assist. But without the tools, you're b******d.

And all so that the vehicle manufacturers can claim a tad more mpg, reduced weight, etc. Do the emergency services or military put up with this? Do they hell.

A skinny spare seems to be the absolute minimum requirement.

Hi Chris,

Agree totally about sidewall damage. The difficulty starts when you have a "nail in the tread" that deflates the tyre while you are traveling on, say, a motorway. Unless you have a TPMS the damage done to the tyrewall by the prolonged under-pressure running is potentially lethal by the time you notice the puncture. It happened to me on the M1, fortunately in a car that had a spare. It was the guy at the place where I took it to get it repaired next day that showed me the sidewall inside the tyre - frightening! TPMS is one of the best investments that I have ever made, just catching one puncture while there is still 26psi ( the alarm pressure ) saved more than the cost of the system. Hoovie has the same system and, AFAIK, is just as keen on it.

I've got a tire kit and a spare.. I'm SET! I don't mind the look of my 4.3. with tire on the back.

• Like 1

I'm afraid it stopped from buying a Plug-In Prius. Really annoying, as I'd have loved one.

I don't often get punctures these day, but over the years (3/4 million miles since 1973) I've had a few that were well beyond a 'gunge' repair. On a Mk1 Prius a few years ago a rear tyre exploded and by the time I'd stopped there wasn't a shred of rubber left on the rim!

THAT car had a proper, full size spare wheel too. I plan a few trips to Europe soon, and the thought of being on the Pyrenees at night with no spare wheel...

These things always seem to happen at the worst time, and a spare wheel, even a space saver, at least give some flexibility.

I could live with it for local journeys, but I would want to put a spare in the boot for long haul trips.

We actually chose an Aygo as our last 2nd car BECAUSE it had a full size spare.

Regards PeteB

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links