Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Extended Warranty Period Headgasket Failure

stumpyowner

Lads Toyota being generous is a bit much,if you sold a faulty product and had a lot of complaints about it you would have to do something to keep your customers happy,

I know of 1 garage alone that has done over 40 of these engines and it's only 1 garage ,

There is a PROBLEM not our problem, we bought these cars because and I quote " Toyota the best built cars in the world " is their motto, why should we pay for a faulty product that not doing what it's supposed to be doing, these cars are being looked after by most drivers like baby's just ask their other halfs and they will confirm this, I know mine would anyway,

The older Toyota avensis ran forever, and not to mention the carina a legend of a car,

No its not ok, you watch the newer models come streaming in with their own problems when the mileage creeps up, there is a lot of drivers/customers out there driving like miss daisy now because of all the information on these posts, driving listening to every little thinkle that the engine makes and looking under the bonnet and checking the coolant level every time they take the car out, I can feel most of you nodding your heads in agreement ,

Let's all just keep complaining and maybe someone will listen, hope this doesn't go out as an aggressive post it's just that when I see someone pour their heart out on this site lookin for some sort of light at the end of the tunnell and get shot down by the manufacturer and the excuse we are sorry there is nothing we can do for you but keep buying our products and have a nice day!!

Come on MR T give us ALL a reason to quote " Toyota the best built cars in the world "

This is the crux for me.....yes an extended warranty is generous but Toyota are culpable if there is a manufacturers fault and it is not wear and tear, regardless of time period/mileage. Why bother with the extended warranty if their conscience is clear?

Many consumers were/are unhappy with DMF failure at relatively low mileages across many makes and the case was pursued by esteemed motoring journalists/consumer groups but to no avail....response:wear and tear! If Toyota had not issued the warranty extension then I probably would be cursing my luck and paying the bill but many more Toyota owners would have been making a significant noise.

Course there is an inherent risk of older used car buying. But i bought this car on Toyota`s reputation for reliability and was unaware if this weakness, and posts here confirm that changes have been made to newer models, why?.....head gasket failure is not as prevalent elsewhere.

anyway Toyota are considering my case...will post when outcome arrives.

So what do you want them to do ??

Recall every single car in the range and fit a new engine ? Who on earth is going to do that ??

Or perhaps offer a twenty year warranty ? Again who is going to do that ?

7 Years and 111.000 miles is one hack of a warranty and it has of course to end sometime !

I said quite some time ago that we would soon see new members coming onto the forum complaining of cars with knackered engines and having no paddle to navigate from sh.t creek..

It gives me absolutely NO pleasure to see this happening quite the contrary but we have to accept that while one heck of a lot of cars are and will continue to be affected it is and never will be all of them..

It could be argued that Toyota have already been very generous indeed with the 7 year warranty and I for one can think of no manufacturer that has ever done anything quite like it...

It could also be argued that there are risks when buying an older car and that is what a 7 year old car is after all .. Old that risks are great ??

Its just awful to see this happening now but lets be honest the whole issue has been massively publicised and if you look closely at my profile you will see a warning point that was dished out to me for publicising this very issue..

It obvious that the warrantys have to end sometime though ...........................

• Like 1

Can only echo what has been said above, Ken, and truly wish you the bestest of luck, but I really think you may well be on to plums, mucker. Not knowing about the problem is like not being aware of a law....tough.....you get prosecuted anyway. If they were to make you an exception, they would be swearing you to secrecy, and we would never hear from you again....blah-dee-blah.....

Total sympatheticals regardlessfully,

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Ok how about this for a warranty issue, I have a 07 avensis at 93k miles head gasket went, Toyota did it under extendid warranty great,

now all was good with the "NEW ENGINE" untill 35k miles later head gasket went again, the exact same issue it went for repair in the 1st place,I call them up as you do, and no one wants to know,the garage or customer relations, they say there is only a 1 year warranty on the new engine are they having a laugh, ita a new engine for god sake,they consider this engine as a PART, and parts have a 1 year warranty, well it's a very expensive part if you ask me ,

By the way this new engine has 3 Toyota services on it since it was fitted, and when it Was fitted I was told its a modified head and you won't have any trouble with it,YEAH RIGHT,

So I'm saying this warning or no warning if you have this trouble and are lucky enough to get your engine under warranty get rid of the car straight away and buy a different make because Toyota are no longer the best built cars in the world,

I'm pretty ****** over this, the car might be considered old but to have a new engine that can only do 35k miles that's not old is it,

I am a taxi driver and i live in Dublin Ireland and Toyota are the most popular car used for taxi'n here and 1 by 1 they are dropping like flies, the taxi industry is a big place there are a lot of angry taxi drivers,

I bought a Toyota for their reputation or so I thought, I'll be going back to ford for sure.

The problem with head gaskets wouldn't occur if they did what they were told and fitted a 3/4 engine. They tend to try repairing them instead for some reason. Your problem is with the dealer not Toyota.

Ok how about this for a warranty issue, I have a 07 avensis at 93k miles head gasket went, Toyota did it under extendid warranty great,

now all was good with the "NEW ENGINE" untill 35k miles later head gasket went again, the exact same issue it went for repair in the 1st place,I call them up as you do, and no one wants to know,the garage or customer relations, they say there is only a 1 year warranty on the new engine are they having a laugh, ita a new engine for god sake,they consider this engine as a PART, and parts have a 1 year warranty, well it's a very expensive part if you ask me ,

By the way this new engine has 3 Toyota services on it since it was fitted, and when it Was fitted I was told its a modified head and you won't have any trouble with it,YEAH RIGHT,

So I'm saying this warning or no warning if you have this trouble and are lucky enough to get your engine under warranty get rid of the car straight away and buy a different make because Toyota are no longer the best built cars in the world,

I'm pretty ****** over this, the car might be considered old but to have a new engine that can only do 35k miles that's not old is it,

I am a taxi driver and i live in Dublin Ireland and Toyota are the most popular car used for taxi'n here and 1 by 1 they are dropping like flies, the taxi industry is a big place there are a lot of angry taxi drivers,

I bought a Toyota for their reputation or so I thought, I'll be going back to ford for sure.

So after 93.000 miles Toyota repair your car and it then goes on for 35.000 more miles ?

Im confused at what you expect ? In my trade we used ti get through Stihl saws and nail guns on a regular basis ! Why ? cos we hammered the damn things (forgive the pun) and it was a consequence of constant use that wore them out ..

I do sympathise with anyone who owns a car with a 2AD series engine I really do but Im also just a bit confused as to what Toyota can do.. 93.000 miles before trouble is not indicative of a crap product just that it wearing out..

7 Years or 111.000 miles is pretty !Removed! good and better than anyone else has ever done.. It is just unrealistic to expect more..

• Like 1

Ok 93k miles and head gasket failure, that I can deal with, I had 3/4 block fitted but for it to fail again with 35k miles on new engine is what I'm not happy with, it's something that was put into the car to do a job and didn't , I wouldn't mind if I could get the head skimmed but from what I heard it doesn't work and is not advised, the dealer did the job of fitting new engine that's their job, but to me it looks like a faulty one was put in, I know another taxi driver that is on his 2nd engine which also failed at 40k miles so he got it skimmed and cylinder head done with a lot of other bits and bobs, and it went again, he ended up putting steal seal in and it worked he's driving a month now with no overheating issues, he just got a pain in his face spending money on the car, maybe that's my only option and try the stuff out, anything is worth a try at this stage.

• Like 2

Hi There

I have a 2007 T180 estate.I had the head gasket issue in November last year.The unofficial script is 7 years or 110000 mls.I got a complete engine and it had 106000 mls on it.I believe the dealer has the discretion,if you do not get a result,try a different dealer.What clinched it for me was a full service history,however,I know a few Taxi drivers who had a new engine and there service history was non toyota(but used Toyota parts!).It turned out when they checked my cars history,it had already had two cylinder heads under warranty.

There is absolutely no doubt that some dealers are better then others but I think you will find its Toyota who make any decision based on the information given to them by the dealer.. Of course s dealer can state the case however they like but once these warranty expire I doubt there will be much favourable discretion

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links