Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2003 D4D Engine Timing Belt Problems

banginiss

Hello i posted before about my avensis troubles. Now there is a question guys in garage had problems taking old one out . And afther they took it out i guess they damaged one of pulleys an how they are called i am not sure if it cause the problem. Before taking old one they started engine to see if it works i mean started engine afther taking all the other things off like air con , alternator and so on. And it was in working condition , but it was starting hard not from the first turn you need to wait like a second it engine started. Marked position took all off, put new water pump , belt kit , and then the fun part started it doesnt allow to torque engine. Dont go more 1000. so i will put a photo of damaged pulley or how its called can it be the thing that cause the problem? They tryed loads of possition for timing belt.

Thats the link for photo

post-141830-0-41270300-1406577293_thumb.

We tryed to take that part of the car in scrap yard and it broke again.

Obviously the garage you are using are rubbish, how they broke a tooth on the crank pully I have no idea...and to be honest i would not think it would cause any problems...

they have probably timed the belt up wrong or forgot to connect something. ..like maf sensor...

do you have any mil warning lights on the dash?

and looking at that picture your crankshaft sensor is missing

Hello yes there are like 4 lamps on. Sensor is on the right side just probably didnt fit to foto. There is Check engine light on, then mm i quess water lamp op because afther replacing water pump nobody filled it with water,atifreeze, and Battery lamp on, alternator is off also.

Everything was connected back to the place . Still no torque . Connected computer cleaned problem let you torque for a second and same thing again.

post-141830-0-36729500-1406635024_thumb.

I'd take it back to the garage who done the timing,if this has only occurred after performing the job.

http://helpforcars.net/obd_codes/p0340_toyota.html

apparently this code can also be generated by the timing jumping a tooth.

have a look;

http://www.autobiz.ie/techtips/Autobiz/diagnostics---dont-always-believe-the-diagnostic-trouble-code-dtc.pdf

The thing is its still in garage its undriveable , doesnt allow to torque more then 1000 so its still in there i guess cranshaft pulley missing one tooth and as photo show up there is sensor down there witch is very close to them i will upload picture well they tryed to ask for price in toyota center they wanted 350 pound for that pulley so they dont want to spent that much i going to get it from old car witch they failed before .

Mindaugas,The crankshaft pulley teeth actually look to be ok ,it looks like its the crankshaft sensor tooth has broken off and this is the source of your problem by the looks of things.

The broken tooth will be causing miss reads from the sensor and this will throw the timing out leading to the erratic running,the pulley needs changing.

• Like 1

And according to the scanner pic the camshaft sensor is at fault...this is up near the top of the engine near the camshaft pully...not at the bottom thats crankshaft :-)

they probably never removed that hidden belt guide bolt under the camshaft pully and ripped the cam sensor off :(

This sensor that you trying to tell was tested in other workshop and its in working condition. But on the bottom they broke one teeth and trying to replace pulley now but its very hard to take it off from crankshaft. Hope its going to be done today. I got no clue why they waited so long to replace that pulley and i dont understand why they though they are going get away with it. Now i know some people talk more than they know.

post-141830-0-52949800-1406708091_thumb.

When the crankshaft position sensor (POS) system becomes inoperative, the camshaft position sensor provides various controls of engine parts instead, utilizing timing of cylinder identification signals.

Read more: http://helpforcars.net/obd_codes/p0340_toyota.html#ixzz38yLe59zc

Here's an extract from the code p0340 that

avensisd4d786 posted get the crank pulley changed and renew the sensor but negotiate a reduction in price for the job as someone has evidently broken the tooth trying to remove the actual pulley maybe with a screw driver or some thing. They will need a puller to remove the pulley

But the fault code is saying camshaft sensor fault?

But the fault code is saying camshaft sensor fault?

The way i see it John is that because of the missing tooth on the crankshaft pulley it is causing the crankshaft sensor to false read so the ECU is telling the camshaft sensor to do the work as in this part of the code explanation..

When the engine is running, the high and low parts of the teeth cause the gap with the sensor to change. The changing gap causes the magnetic field near the sensor to change. The change in the magnetic field cause the voltage from the sensor to change.

When the crankshaft position sensor (POS) system becomes inoperative, the camshaft position sensor provides various controls of engine parts instead, utilizing timing of cylinder identification signals.

Read more: http://helpforcars.net/obd_codes/p0340_toyota.html#ixzz38zLnEKM1..

​Apparently the code P0340 can also relate to the crankshaft sensor as well as the camshaft sensor as they seem to work in unison.

• Like 1

Thanks for replays problem sorter took that pulley off weld one teeth back everything working now. Just got wasted 6 days on that crap, one persons bad move taking pulley off costed me a 6 day of waiting.

• Like 1

glad you got sorted banginiss, I wonder how they ended up breaking one of the tooths in the first place.

glad you got sorted banginiss, I wonder how they ended up breaking one of the tooths in the first place.

Ha ha Big hammer and a crow bar sounds favourite to me bud.

• Like 1

Do you think that was done when getting the crank pulley(the one holds the 2 aux belts) off without a puller?

• Like 1

Do you think that was done when getting the crank pulley(the one holds the 2 aux belts) off without a puller?

Could well have been the case or maybe tried to lever the pulley of with a bar or something,?how else can that kind of damage happen who knows.

• Like 1

Very strange..I never thought a broken tooth would cause these problems...you learn every day....well done.

• Like 2

Ha ha Big hammer and a crow bar sounds favourite to me bud.

Must have been from the Jeremy Clarkson School of Mechanical Engineering...

• Like 1

Well ye thats how they broke it . Crowbar and hammer. Stone age methods . And them they got that tool to take it off . Simple and cheap 3 leg pulley witch i get dont cost more than 20 pounds. Small things cause huge problems.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links