Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coolant Blowing Out Of Expansion Tank

dennis ford

I have a 2007 Rav4 XTR D-4D Diesel car which has done just over 43000 miles. I am have a problem with a small amount of

coolant blowing out of the coolant expansion tank and have been told it could be due to the head gasket gone or a cracked head. The car is running well with no signs of coolant in the oil ( just done a oil change ). Could the coolant tank cap be at fault or is the fault one of the ones mentioned,

I have had this problem now for a couple of months or so can anyone give me some advice please.

The key issue is date of first registration - if it transpires to be a head gasket failure then the Toyota goodwill warranty will only apply if you're within the 7 year window (and subject to the vehicle having a reasonable service history)

Your car is 2007, which month please, this is important. Has your car exceeded 7 years yet, was it say registered in 12/07?

Mike.

Hi Michael

Thanks for the reply, the first registration date of the car was 01/09 2007 so it was 7yrs old this month. Does this mean the engine is just out of warranty.

Hi Dennis.

I have seen threads like this quite a few times now and the fact your car is more than one day over 7 years old reporting the problem, unless you have a spare £7000.00+ for a new lump i would seriously think of trading your car in ASAP. Yes i agree completely with getting the head gaskets tested but this will only then log on Toyota's computer system that the engine is very suspect so in some respects you will be shooting yourself in the foot getting the test done. Up to 7 years old Toyota would foot the enormous bill of a new or 3/4 engine but now it i down to you to pay for the repair bill. Basically for 3 years Toyota made a batch of dud engines and as a good will gesture changed them FOC, a really good warranty but once they reached 7 years and not a day older they pulled the plug on liability. This g'tee also depended on how much oil the engine was consuming prior to the reported fault of blowing water from the expansion tank so unless it is recorded on their data base on excessive oil consumption you are fighting a loosing battle. If it was my car without question find a dealer, not necessarily a Toyota main dealer and avoid and Rav 4 between 2006-2009, diesels only, and trade your car in for another vehicle. The problem is not only head gaskets but too tall pistons fitted which once a small amount of carbon has developed on the piston crowns the engine is basically scrap. Even main dealer rebuilds were not very successful so fitting factory built engines became the norm. I have spelt this out as clear as i can.

Mike.

I believe they're strict with the 7 year good-will gesture. No harm trying tho.

As said... The extended good will warranty is for 7 years or 112k miles! It might be worth dropping a PM to forum moderator Devon Agyo as he really does know his stuff on all things Toyota...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links