Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Auris Cvt Problem - Engine Racing

Auris Owner

I have a 1.6 CVT Auris, purchased new in July 2013.
When coasting downhill at 25 - 30 mph, and particularly if I brake, the engine starts racing in excess of 4000 rpm. Its normal speed is 1000-1200 rpm.
I can only get the revs back to normal by braking almost to a halt.

I raised this with the dealer in October 2013, then twice again in June 2014 and in October 2014. I even made a video showing the road speed & engine speed when the problem was present which the dealer says that he sent to Toyota.

I have had no feedback whatsoever from Toyota and each time I speak to the dealer's Service Manager, I get the same response that Toyota are looking into it.

I have offered to let them have my car for a few days to investigate the problem, but with no response.

This is my second Auris and, other than for this issue, I am very pleased with it, however I am rapidly losing confidence in Toyota and will not buy another unless they can demonstrate their commitment to Customer Care.

I am more than happy to work with Toyota to resolve the problem; I have said that they can replace the CVT control unit and anything else they wish and I will let them know how it goes, but I have heard nothing!

Has anyone else had this problem, please, and, if so, what was done about it?

This sounds like the correct and normal action of the CVT giving engine braking, if the ascent is steep enough or you apply enough braking force the car will use the CVT box to brake the car this in turn causes the revs to raise. No need to stop the car to stop the engine from revving just apply throttle as you would normally require and within a few seconds the revs/gearing will return to normal.

Thanks for your replies guys, but this happens when I coast down a slight hill with the engine ticking over at about 1200 rpm. The engine speed then suddenly shoots up to over 4000 rpm. If I brake, it is usually gentle braking to keep the car within the speed limit. I should also say that it only happens intermittently. If I drive down the same hill several times, it may occur only once or twice.

On one occasion, I shifted the stick to manual while the engine was screaming and the indicator showed that the gearbox had changed to its lowest ratio (M1) at over 30 mph. Surely this can't be right? The dealer subsequently checked the car and found that there was an error code which indicated that the engine had been over-revved, although this could be because I shifted the gear stick to manual while the engine was racing.

I also find it strange that neither the dealer nor Toyota have experienced this problem before, assuming, of course, that the Service Manager did refer it to Toyota as he said.

The good news, however, is that he (the Service Manager) told me that if the engine blows up, it will be covered by the 5-year warranty!

Regards.

The good news, however, is that he (the Service Manager) told me that if the engine blows up, it will be covered by the 5-year warranty!

Regards.

I think I'd want him to put that in writing. Due to the fact there is a fault code showing the engine has been over revved it will give them an opt out. Perhaps you could play on the fact that this is dangerous and would like them to fix it and whilst they are trying to do so you will need a comparable car to use.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links