Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4D Oil Change - Advice Neded

talldave

Hi all,

I have a 2009 Verso 2.0 D4D which has the 1AD engine - the same as some of the Avensis's I think - hence the reason for posting here.

It will need its annual service soon. I've had if for 18 months and so far it's always been serviced at a main dealer. I'm now planning to service it myself. I've serviced other petrol cars for over 20 years so have no problems with the basics. However I've never done a diesel.

I posted a question on the Verso forum and someone said that changing the oil filter is a pain - see quote below

"Changing the oil filter is a real pain in the bum and very messy if you're laying down on your drive. It's a paper filter in a housing.
You have to undo a plug in the bottom of the housing and insert a special drain tube that comes with the filter. Once that clips in the oil drains from the housing then you can undo the housing remove the paper filter, clean everything and get ready to put it all back.

The problem comes when you try to undo the plug. It's usually tighter than the housing so as you try to undo it the whole housing unscrews and oil just goes everywhere.

When you put it all back together the plug and the housing have to be torqued up. The only problem is, is that the torque values are different so you need to torque the plug in the housing first and then torque the housing on the engine using a special tool.(I made mine)"

Does anyone here have similar experience or thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the link to the video. I tried to change the oil at the weekend. I bought a tool from eBay to remove the housing, however it was very tight and even applying reasonable force using my 50cm bar didn't move it and I didn't want to force it and break anything. I phonned Toyota and they said say the housing can be very tight - anyone else had this experience? Do I just need to apply more force?

I struggled with exactly the same problem on my dealer serviced from new avensis. Basically I had to buy an oil filter removal tool and apply a scary amount of torque to remove the main housing. Don't be sacerd - its a strong old casting so will take the force. Once you have it off, clean the puddle of oil from the drive (cardboard boxes are good at absorbing oil...if you remember to put them down first.) and put the housing in a vice to release the small drain plug.

You may not want to bother with the smal drain plug. The housing can be emptied and cleaned once it is off and my drain plug was badly rounded (see 'delaer serviced' above) and needed a bolt extractor to shift it. I refitted it to the correct torque and at the next oil change it was seized again. I don't bother with it now and simply remove the housing in one (messy) piece.

Thanks for the info Druid Boy. Maybe I just should have used a bit more brute force - but you know how it is when you haven't done the job before - you don't want to break anything. Anyway I have decided to take it to my local trusted (non Toyota) garage to get them to do it this time - I'll have another go myself next year.

One of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-Expert-Toyota-Filter-Replacement/dp/B008RXS7FM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417778455&sr=8-2&keywords=toyota+oil+filter+tool

should get the filter cover off. Two of the opposing slots engage with the "ears" on the aluminium cover allowing more torque to be applied.

I wouldn't use a hammer, as shown in the video. That could just break off the "ears"!

• 6 years later...
On 12/4/2014 at 8:28 PM, Druid Boy said:

I struggled with exactly the same problem on my dealer serviced from new avensis. Basically I had to buy an oil filter removal tool and apply a scary amount of torque to remove the main housing. Don't be sacerd - its a strong old casting so will take the force. Once you have it off, clean the puddle of oil from the drive (cardboard boxes are good at absorbing oil...if you remember to put them down first.) and put the housing in a vice to release the small drain plug.

You may not want to bother with the smal drain plug. The housing can be emptied and cleaned once it is off and my drain plug was badly rounded (see 'delaer serviced' above) and needed a bolt extractor to shift it. I refitted it to the correct torque and at the next oil change it was seized again. I don't bother with it now and simply remove the housing in one (messy) piece.

i watched scotty kilmer and he said for toyota there is a oil filter adaptor u can get converts it to the screw  in oil filters baxter performance is the make but not sure if make them for the uk plus either the 2.0d4d engine .must do more research int it 

• 2 years later...

181  avencis  2.0 diesel oil filer clogged wit thick oil.and looks like carbon stuck to filter.need help

• Sad 1

On 11/5/2014 at 5:38 PM, talldave said:

Hi all,

I have a 2009 Verso 2.0 D4D which has the 1AD engine - the same as some of the Avensis's I think - hence the reason for posting here.

It will need its annual service soon. I've had if for 18 months and so far it's always been serviced at a main dealer. I'm now planning to service it myself. I've serviced other petrol cars for over 20 years so have no problems with the basics. However I've never done a diesel.

I posted a question on the Verso forum and someone said that changing the oil filter is a pain - see quote below

"Changing the oil filter is a real pain in the bum and very messy if you're laying down on your drive. It's a paper filter in a housing.
You have to undo a plug in the bottom of the housing and insert a special drain tube that comes with the filter. Once that clips in the oil drains from the housing then you can undo the housing remove the paper filter, clean everything and get ready to put it all back.

The problem comes when you try to undo the plug. It's usually tighter than the housing so as you try to undo it the whole housing unscrews and oil just goes everywhere.

When you put it all back together the plug and the housing have to be torqued up. The only problem is, is that the torque values are different so you need to torque the plug in the housing first and then torque the housing on the engine using a special tool.(I made mine)"

Does anyone here have similar experience or thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, whilst mine is a petrol, they all have the same (sort of) housing, you will need the special fluted tool to go over the housing. I bought mine on eBay, about £9 delivered from memory. Don't attempt it without. Don't use a hammer like the video! Even when I service it myself, don't overtighten, the next year its is always stuck solid! I 'modified' an old trolley jack handle (cut it in half) and use that over the socket/ratchet handle to give more leverage, works a treat. Just make sure you keep the force even and level, as previously stated, the housings are tough. Good luck.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2023 at 1:58 PM, finnan ryan said:

181  avencis  2.0 diesel oil filer clogged wit thick oil.and looks like carbon stuck to filter.need help

Hi, any photos of this? I see from your profile yours is a 2018 2.0 Diesel, is that right? 

Have oil changes been regular? Do you know which brand parts or oil has been used? 

I hate to say it, but based on what you’re saying it might not be a very bright outlook. These are the BMW engines and as such are fragile

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links