Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota's Own Digital Radio Update - Anyone Got It?

Magwych

I want to fit a digial radio (DAB) to my IQ3, and Ilike the idea of Toyota's own DAB upgrade module, part number PZ473-T0210-A0.

The fitting instructions on the Toyota Tech Europe web site look straightforward enough, and the Toyota specifc connectors mean it should be plug'n play.

Whilst looking around the web for a good price, I came across conflicting advice - ooh, what a surprise! A very small number of places are saying that this only works with the SatNav upgrade (TNS510) , imolying it will not work with the standard radio; my IQ came with the bog-standard radio.

Has anyone had this Toyota DAB upgrade with the standard radio? If I need the Sat Nav head unit too then I will go down the Highway 300 DAB route instead. It has the pain of trying to find a home for the head unit, but the DAB plus SatNav upgarde is getting ridiculously expensive.

Pretty sure looking at the fitting instructions it will be satnav version only.

I have always fancied getting another, second hand radio housing cover for the standard radio and cutting it up and modifying it to take a standard DIN radio made by the likes of Pioneer.

I reckon some cutting, filling, sanding and painting could make a very good looking job and a hell of a lot cheaper than the Toyota SatNav version.

If I find a housing cheap enough I'll let you know how I get on.

Craig.

I really do not want to go down that path. All I want to do is to get DAB radio recpetion off the current standard radio. I hadreviewed the instructions on toyota-tech.eu and it is not entirely clear if the SatNav head unit is a requirement or not.

Step 7 does show how to unclip the Sat Nav surround for the dashboard, but the drawing in Step 2 show a non-Sat Nav dashboard.

Step 21 shows 2 possible solutions for connecting the new loom, in A, the new loom plugs straight into ???. In option B if there is something plugged into the mystery unit, that is femoved and plugged into another connector on the DAB loom.

One Toyota Centre says TNS510 is a requirement, another says it is not; Toyota GB says "Ask a Toyota Centre".

Think I will give up with the idea of using Toyota parts and go for the pain of fitting the Pure Highway unit; at least I know what I am getting into with that. Toyota themselves don't seem to have a clue.

Good Morning to you all.

I have the TNS510 fitted in the car, on a 59 plate.

I did ask a Toyota Main dealer, about the DAB Module, that just plugs into the rear of the TNS510 unit.

Three years ago I was Quoted £450 for that unit.

I did not both with it.

Kind Regards

David

I do not have, nor do I want, the TNS510 unit.

I do want to fit a DAB unit.

Is the TNS510 required before you can fit the DAB? Does anyone know? Toyota GB don't .

Has anyone got the Toyota DAB and not the TNS510?

I have just said it plugs in the back on the TNS510.

So it will not work, if you don't have a TNS510

So you are also 100%confident that it cannot possibly plug into the OEM radio unit? I understand that it plugs into the TNS510, I did get that bit. But that does not necessarily mean that it does not integrate with the standard radio when the TNS510 is not fitted.

Scrap the whole idea of DAB. The toyota £369 module also requires a new antenna stuck to your windscreen. DAB has limited reception and limited channels with poor bit rate. Add. A Good Data package like Giffgaff unlimited to a smartphone and using a free app like Tune-in and bluetooth you can listen to thousand upon thousands of stations all over the world. In far better quality

Tarquin. Broadcast Enginner

• Like 1

Thanks fo ryou rsuggestuin Tarquin. TBH I do not see how switching to using a mobile data network makes reception any easier?

Once you got out of the big cities mobile data networks can also be patchy. Does that also mean i now need to find a means of mounting my phone in the car, and then I need a bluetooth connection to the radio.

I was looking for an integrated solution that does not require changing the radio unit, nor additonal mounts on the dashboard.

Appreciated. If you have a standard radio in the iQ tgere is precious little you can do. Although the unit itself is DIN standard, its outer cover puts paid to fitting a 1 Din radio. Again the Tns510 2 din is no good without the top cover and they are a fortune. As far as tge DAB add on i think it relies on the graphical display of the Tna510 as apposed to the small Oddometer screen

David

Thanks David,

I finally fudn a phrase in a Toyota sales brochure "DAB enhnaces the optional TNS510 navigation to receive digital audio radio broadcasts"

That puts thenail in the coffin for the Toyota unit, so it wil have to be somethung like the Pure Highway 300.

Anyine idea what type fo connector is used for the aerial? On the Hilux it is a co-axial cable with DIN type plug. Need to know so a I can get an appropriate set of cable adapters. I would prefer to disassemble the dash only once...

Oddly enough I've just taken the dashboard apart.

There are only three sockets on the back of the radio and all three are used so no chance of plugging anything else in.

The aerial connection looked like a fairly standard one with the long pin on it that pushes into a hole in the radio.

Craig.

post-116364-0-60545300-1417634173_thumb.

Just as Craig says about the aerial connector The tns510 has a rectangle connector for its aerial. It is posdible with practice to remove the radio / tns 510 in 4 mins.

David

You might be interested in this, http://www.carcommunications.co.uk/car-accessories/dab-digital-car-radio/universal_3576/dabmotion-dab1001-universal-in-car-dab-radio-tuner-with-aerial-aux-ipod-iphone-connection I did consider getting one and asked the following questions:

Q: Can you confirm it is totally compatible with the iQ and the
display will show on the vehicles Multi Function Display?

A: Yes it is compatible with IQ and will operate

with the Display as long as your vehicle Radio has RDS facility.

I decide not to go with it in the end as I decided to get something that would give me bluetooth hand free calling and music streaming from my phone.

I opted for the iO Play2 http://www.my-io.com/products/io-play2-features/

WP_20140818_001_zps5c3799d0.jpg

WP_20140818_003_zps74c3ba12.jpg

WP_20140818_008_zpscf6c1fcb.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links