Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cost To Unseize Calipers

crumblierbaz

Hi, 4 of the slider pins on my calipers have seized up, does anyone know roughly how much it would cost for a mechanic who charges £30 an hour to free them up? Thanks

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Could be the sliders or the pistons,they wont know till it all comes apart,best go to the celica breakers in cornwall and buy working 2nd hand,worked for me.

Definitely the sliders, pistons are fine (I found this out when I went to change brake pads) yeah I might consider getting already working ones

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Had same problem with Yaris 1999. For some reason they seized within 1 week of not driving. I did this to free the calipers and never happen again. Get some GT-86 and spray over the calipers (no need to take of wheel etc), then put down hand break and start to push the car forwards and backwards with the help of someone. Keep doing this for about 5-10 minutes and also rock the car sideways too. You will soon hear a big clunk sound and the calipers will be free. If this doesent work then another way which I have heard is to take of wheel and hit the calipers with a hammer lightly, not tried this but worth a try and you can save some money doing it your self.

• 3 weeks later...

I've lubed all mine with "Silicone grease with 55% PTFE" from Amazon.

From what I remember, one slider pin simply pushes in to the non-moving half bolted to the car, the other slider pin is a spacer. I removed the spacer after unbolting the caliper, cleaned out the inside of the dust seal (old or wrong grease can solidify) then applied the new grease+PTFE onto the spacer and inside all cleaned-out dust seals)

I did have a rear caliper piston that seized (wheel was getting warm). Bought one off eBay and swapped the moving section (with the piston) over, after pushing the piston back using a G clamp and a 50p coin on the top of the piston. Bled all brakes with fresh Comma DOT4 Brake and Clutch Fluid.

I used a "6-sided" socket set (rather than 12 sided), and a small hammer to rotate the moving half of the caliper up off of the pads after removing the small bolt at the bottom. And copper grease on the bolt threads when refitting.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links