Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Warranty On Second Hand

K168

Hi All

I would appreciate your view on this...

Two monts ago I purchased a 2009 Avensis T4 D-4DHi from a Toyota dealer.

I cut the story short:

The car is now back at Toyota Service as non runner.

Toyota Service said the reason is fuel contamination, not necessarely the wrong fuel but a black jelly substance found in the tank must have gone thrue the fuel filter and clogged the fuel pump as atm doesn't generate enogh pressure for the engine to run.

NB: The one and only time I did diesel was a month prior to the breakdown. And between then and now the car was also driven away by one of their employee for a second key programming.

Toyota has now informed me that the warranty does not cover fuel contamination and the expence could go up to £7000 therefore we better check my insurance policy.

My question is: Have I been just amazingly unlucky? Or is there something else I could do?

Thank you.

'The one and only time I did diesel was a month prior to the breakdown.'

Please clarify what you mean by the above.

Article here - http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/2013/12/13/diesel-biofuel-content-suspected-cause-of-unexpected-winter-breakdowns/49096/

Sorry. I meant the only time I went to the petrol station and did put fuel in the car.

Thanks for the Article...... I was aware of this as also Toyota Service did mention.

However, having just bought the car and fill up only once I really feel hard done.

From the article: Whilst the primary cause of the issue is still under investigation, one of the areas receiving closest scrutiny is the up to 7% biofuel content which by EU law has to be added to all road diesel.

So... how can this fall under the user responsibility, and not covered by warranty?

The warranty (as with any warranty) will provide cover for manufacturer's defects, not wear and tear or any other issue.

Having said that, it is feasible that this contamination could have been present in the tank when you bought it - but would be extremely hard to prove or disprove.

Why not write to the dealer principal outlining what has happened since you bought the car, that you've only filled the car up once, that it is quite feasible the contamination was present in the vehicle when you purchased it, and ask for some support from the dealer.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links