Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Needed, ,central Locking, Management Light!

Fo44est

Hi recently given a Toyota Yaris 2003 from a family member but...for the last 4 years it has been driven with the engine management light on! Obviously it can't be anything serious due to the time it's been on but I would like to get it sorted before my son is given the car...any help appreciated, my other problem is with the central locking sometimes it works locking all doors, sometimes only a couple of doors (5 door Yaris) hopefully this is an easy fix again any help really appreciated!

For the engine management light you need to have code read with a scanner.For the central locking as it's an intermittent fault it could be sticking solonoids,put your ear to the door skin as you try to lock/unlock the doors if you hear a noise the doors are trying to lock and solonoids and or the locking mechanism is physically stuck otherwise your looking at the pain in the neck intermittent bad electrical connection.

Thanks Neil, yes I can hear the doors trying to lock, not very good with cars so how do I fix sticking solonoids?

Thanks again

Unfortunately I can only give general advice as I've never had this problem with any of my Yaris'.First you need to remove the door panel which is held on by a combination of screws and plastic 'poppers'.If you look at the internal door handle there is a small circular cap which can be prised out to reveal a screw. Using a trim removal tool (available cheaply) prise out the door switch panel and disconnect the wiring connectors (do NOT switch on the ignition) to reveal more scews. Once removed work the tool around the outer edge of the panel ,slowly and carefully are the watchwords here.If any part of the panel won't pop off there is another screw somewhere. Behind the panel will be a plastic sheet,pull it back to gain access to the locking mechanism. Use an aerosol lubricant on any moving part of the mechanism.On the solonoid itself there will be a plunger entering the body ,spray this liberally with WD40 and work the mechanism by hand, you're trying to get as much as possible to enter the solenoid. This may work immediately or it may take some time to reach where i'ts needed.If it doesn't work your down to repairing or replacing the the solonoids and while they are not designed to be repaired it can sometimes be done but it depends on knowledge and skill of the person doing it.

PS I should have mentioned if any of your windows have manual winders you'll need to remove the handles first.Push the panel towards the door and you'll see a horseshoe clip which you'll need a small hooked tool to pull out,to refit put the clip in the handle first position it on the spindle then give it a smart thump.

Thanks Neil I shall be giving it a go after work Monday....I shall give an update as to my progress.

Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links