Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Keyless Entry (self Fitting)

TheDook

Hi All'

I recently had a quote of £220 to fit a Remote Door locking System. I have been told it's not a big job to self fit these things so I've bought a kit (eBay,awaiting arrival) and decided I've have a go. Has any members fitted a similar kit to their car?.. any pointers would be gratefully received. My car is a 1995 Hilux 4Runner SSRX Limited. It has Central Locking fitted, Key operated from the drivers side only.

Cheers Guys!

Keyless entry is different to remote central locking. With keyless entry you keep the fob in your pocket/bag and lock/unlock the car by touching the door handle, and start/stop the engine by a push button. You need the fob to be within a few feet of the lock for it to operate, and it needs to be inside the car to start it. The fob also has the regular locking buttons if you prefer to use them, and an emergency key which unlocks the passenger door IIRC.

I've never fitted remote locking, but when you lock your car the drivers door lock will send a signal to the central locking brain somewhere, and it then sends a signal to unlock the other doors. You'll probably need to find this "brain" and connect into it somehow.

Hi Alan'

Thanks for the response. I watched some videos on Youtube earlier and now know the difference between Keyless & Remote locking. You bear out all I found out. Thanks for your input, it is well received.

My self fitting kit arrived from eBay this morning. It's looks to be not too complicated an installation procedure reading the blurb on it. it comes complete with two remote fobs and everything needed for fitting. At £20 it appears good value for money so I'll have a pop at it maybe tomorrow. Its bouncing down with rain here just now so I won't be attempting to get "wired" into it today.

I'll post again on this thread and announce how I got on.

Cheers mate!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links