Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vsc Off/vsc No Error Codes

perdaniel

I have a problem with my 2001 Avensis D4: The VSC OFF and VSC warning lights are both on, but there is no relevant error codes. I have tried disconnecting the Battery to clear the warning lights, but this hasn't helped. I have tried looking in the various manuals I have (Haynes, RM599, RM698 and RM781) but haven't found anything relating to the VSC system. Does anyone here know how to proceed with diagnosing and fixing this problem?

It sounds like you actually have a problem with the trc or vsc and your scanner only picks up engine codes. You'll need to get the system scanned for brake codes if yours doesn't cover them.

It sounds like you actually have a problem with the trc or vsc and your scanner only picks up engine codes. You'll need to get the system scanned for brake codes if yours doesn't cover them.

What kind of scanner do I need to read brake codes?

Sorry I should have been clearer, all scanners read engine codes, but there are a number of systems that can be scanned through OBD2 including transmission, traction control, brakes, alarm etc. I think you need one that will read traction control if there really is an issue worth the vsc. Scanners that will read this are much more expensive, An alternative would be to take it to a mechanic that will read them for you for a fee.

I finally found something that may be relevant in the manuals: On page DI-171 of RM781E, it says that to check the DTC, you have to connect terminals Tc and CG of DLC3 with SST 09843-18040, turn the ignition on, and read the DTC from the ABS warning light. After a quick google it seems that SST 09843-18040 is something I can make myself: http://s43.radikal.ru/i101/1211/7d/fea120bca50f.jpg

That sounds like an interesting solution, I'd be very interested to hear how it works out.

Now I have made the "special tool" (10cm solid wire), and used it to read the error codes. I got error codes 41, 55 and 58, both from the ABS light and the VSC light. DTC 41 is Battery voltage that is too low or too high. I have just had to replace the Battery because it wouldn't hold enough voltage to start the car, so I assume that this might have caused it. DTC 55 seems a little more serious, it is yaw rate sensor circuit malfunction. To test the yaw rate sensor I need to find someone with access to a proper hand held tester. DTC 58 is "Open circuit in stop ligth switch circuit". I'm not sure what is causing this, but the third brake light doesn't work. I was going to delete the codes and see if they came back, but to do that I need to connect the "special tool" to terminals Tc and E1 of the DLC3, and I can't find any mention of where E1 is.

The problem with the ABS/VSC error codes seems to be fixed. By replacing a blown brake light bulb! To get the car through the EU-mandated biannual test my brother and a friend of his, who has a garage, helped me replace the leaky gas tank and worn rear brakes and fix rust holes in the body and rear crossmember. It turned out that he had a OBD2-reader capable of reading and deleting ABS/VSC error codes. He was able to delete DTC 41 and 55, but not 58. Afterwards my brother helped me replace the center brake light bulb (I had tried, but I couldn't get the cover off). When I started up the car the VSC OFF/VSC lights were still on, but when I drove to the nearest gas station to fill the tank the light turned off by it self after a few kilometers. Now the car is road legal for two more years.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links